Help, sound on, no verbal guidance instructions

TomTom Model(s)
I have a TomTom 920 for some time now, after updating the OS and new maps, my sound is on, but there is no verbal guidance instructions. When I turn sound on/off I get a display note "sound on, instructions off". I have turned on everything I can find int he menus, even restored to factory settings. Can't get verbal guidance. Any help is appreciated.

Make sure you have a computer voice selected. And, in voice settings, make sure you have it so the voice DOES announce instructions.

I've got a Go720 here. It's currently on very old software (so I can play games on it!) so it might not have exactly the same menu layout as your 920.

But on mine on page one of the Change preferences menu, I have

1. "Turn off sound"
2. "Voice preferences"

Tapping "Voice preferences" gives me "Disable voice" as the second icon on the top row.

Are you seeing that?
Remember that TomTom menu items are labelled with what happens if you tap them...
So if the voice is currently enabled it will say "Disable voice" and if the voice is currently disabled it will say "Enable voice".

Also, on that page, if you select "Change voice" you should see the voice currently selected, Which one is selected?
And there will be a "Test" button. Do you hear anything when you tap that?

I have voice enable. When I press the volume button on the remote, I will get a voice instructions that is for the last instruction for that moment. But I do not get proactive voice instructions. The key tot his riddle is the error text that is displayed "sound on, instructions off". I have checked every menu I can find to turn on an instruction command, even "read aloud foreign street names". There must be some master setting for instructions I can't find. Or the version I updated to has a problem?

I have voice enable.

Is that what the icon actually says in the Voice preferences menu?

If so (as I said above) then the voice is currently DISABLED.

Tap it and the voice will be enabled and the icon will change to say "Disable voice".

Here's what it should look like when the voice is ENABLED...

attachment.php

(that's on v7 software, yours may well look somewhat different, but the Disable voice icon should look the same)

Attachments

• Voice_prefs_v7_software.JPG
    Voice_prefs_v7_software.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,246
Last edited:
Thank you for the information. The message I am talking about I had never seen before and I have had this 920 for 3 years. When I turned the sound on of with the Quick Menu speaker icon on the screen or, a message flashed int he normal driving screen indicating, sound on, directions off.

Now after all this, I once again connected with TomTom Home and this time a Quickfix was loaded, and it works now with me doing nothing. Computers!

I had the same problem and spent 2 days trying to get the answer searching the internet. I think I can now say I have the solution. May only apply to the magnificent GO 720/730/920/930 series but this is how I fixed it for me.
Go to Voices
Go to Voice Preferences
Then it up to you I selected all except Read aloud Foreign Street names
The next bit is where the problem lies
After the options for Voice Preferences have been selected de-selected you must hit DONE
As this will take you to a hidden second screen
On this screen check the Read Aloud Warnings (I believe this one that was causing the problems as mine was off)
I left off Tips and Tutorials but checked the last 3 below
i.e. ahead turn left (On checked)
Motorways lanes (On checked)
Signposts (On checked)
Hope this helps :)

Ask a Question