Help selecting a new TomTom

I am looking for a new TomTom to replace my old GO 920. It needs to have the following features:
1) USA Maps
2) Text To Speach
3) Ability to add my own POIs like the 920 did
4) Hopefully be able to accept my custom POI files from the 920
5) Large screen
6) Lifetime Maps would be nice, but not a deal breaker

I am not opposed to hacking / tweaking to get any of the features.

Thanks for the help.

I think you will be greatly disappointed with any of the new 2X or Via models that TomTom offers now. Many features the 920 has have been removed such as:
--a sdhc slot for additional storage
--access to the file system on the unit so you can't make backups
--Itinerary Planning
--etc.

May I ask what the problems you are having with the 920 that would prompt your looking for a newer model?

Sometimes, newer isn't better.

a sdhc slot for additional storage
--access to the file system on the unit so you can't make backups
--Itinerary Planning
--etc.
The etc needs a little expanding as there is far more missing:

EPT Enhanced Position Technology
Bluetooth audio output
FM Transmitter
Line out socket
mp3 player
Document reader
Picture viewer
Remote Control

The 920 was a very credible device well worth keeping unless its totally shot - Mike

I am looking for a new TomTom to replace my old GO 920. It needs to have the following features:
1) USA Maps
2) Text To Speach
3) Ability to add my own POIs like the 920 did
4) Hopefully be able to accept my custom POI files from the 920
5) Large screen
6) Lifetime Maps would be nice, but not a deal breaker

I am not opposed to hacking / tweaking to get any of the features.

Thanks for the help.

I had the 920. Everything that DHN and mikealder is correct But If you want for me the most important thing , HD Traffic , the 2535 m Live is night and day better then the Plus traffic on the 920. No need for a cell phone to connect. Also the 5 Inch screen is wonderful. Finally the maps used and the decrease in the glare of this new unit with very fast recalculation times will make this a go to unit all the time. For me these features are what I always use. If you want the other features, its just not their.

Last edited:
The 920 only works if it is in the mount and plugged in. Even then it will randomly turn off. Also, the touch screen doesn't always work in the lower right corner.

Problem #1 just sounds like a dead battery that's now so far gone it is pulling down the external power supply.

About $15-20 to replace the battery?

With the touch screen messed up you can't make a mistake entering an address because when you hit the back arrow it activates one of the keys above it.

So back to the original post, is there a current production TomTom that meets my list of requirements?

Unfortunately you are choosing at a time where the situation is changing all the time.

I'm in the UK with a Go1000 model (similar to the US 2405/2435 models)

1) USA Maps - I have Europe, but yes if it had been a US version
2) Text To Speech - yes
3) Ability to add my own POIs like the 920 did - yes, using the new 'MyTomTom' PC interface
4) Hopefully be able to accept my custom POI files from the 920 - yes. automatically, using the new "content transfer assistant"
5) Large screen - depends what you mean by large. The 1000 is 4.3" the 1005 is 5"
6) Lifetime Maps would be nice, but not a deal breaker -Not available on mine but available on any US model with an "M" after the model number.

Unfortunately, CURRENTLY, the required software and utilities to all ow your #3 and 4 have not been released in the US, but it could be any day now.
If those features are vital to have TODAY, then you need to be looking at n older model

Last edited:
Regarding your 2535 M Live. I seem to understand that if you decide to NOT renew the LIVE features, you can still get lifetime traffic via the USB adapter purchased separately for around $70.00. Is this correct?

Different quality of Traffic reports though....

Thanks, Andy. I understand it's not "HD Traffic" without the "LIVE" service. I just wanted to make sure it was basically the same as buying the TM (not Live) version if I decided to opt out of the additional service.

Ask a Question