Help! No original SD card for my TT 1st edition

Hey all...

Yesterday, I received a TT One 1st edition/new edition from Ebay. Only the device and the lighter charger was included. The unit has no internal memory. Now how do I get started without an original card? I obviously have no files to backup. My guess is that I need the proper system files. Does anyone know how can I obtain them? :confused:

FYI: I called customer support and was told to download TT Home and everything should be fine. That seemed too good to be true. So I inserted the card and nothing happened. The screen just showed the unit connected to a USB cord. When it wasn't connected, the screen showed an animation of an SD card with a red X over it. I also tried 2 other used 2gb cards that I formatted. Both displayed a red X upon insertion.

Last edited:
Hey all...

Yesterday, I received a TT One 1st edition/new edition from Ebay. Only the device and the lighter charger was included. The unit has no internal memory. Now how do I get started without an original card? I obviously have no files to backup. My guess is that I need the proper system files. Does anyone know how can I obtain them? :confused:

FYI: I called customer support and was told to download TT Home and everything should be fine. That seemed too good to be true. So I inserted the card and nothing happened. The screen just showed the unit connected to a USB cord. When it wasn't connected, the screen showed an animation of an SD card with a red X over it. I also tried 2 other used 2gb cards that I formatted. Both displayed a red X upon insertion.

You may have been a victim of an Ebay scam. I have never trusted that place. It was probably stolen in the first place. I once bought a TV remoted from some guy in Florida he tried to charge me for 5 of them.

Last edited:
no sd card anymore

I'm new to this, but immediately I am aware that making backups is vital, or your tom tom turns into a stone drum.

I formatted my sd card and then i received the dreaded red cross over the sd card. I should mention that I did this through the windows explorer.
No matter what I did, tt would not read it.
I discovered that the machine does not immediately recognise a new sd card.
it has to have a backup of a previous time with a sd card inserted in tt, installed back on it, then it will recognise the card.

If you don't have a previous backup then it appears that we part company as tom tom has a very difficult system to follow. ie.

I lost the maps on my new 1 v4, through not having a first backup, but I did backup somewhat later, which gave me a chance to get the sd card back. but I still have to choose activate maps, which I can't because tt support won't accept my ebay recaipt because it is a refurbished unit. blah blah sound familiar, read more posts and it will become obvious that tt support have a rigid standard approach to idiots like me

so I bought another one for a friend, and tried to back it up fresh and then restore it to my bricked tt, and guess what, it still won't let me use my maps, probably because it is a different device number.

This tom tom inflexibility is annoying the "you know whats" out of me. I've spent hours trying to revive it, without much success, but I am learning lots along the way.

It seems if you have no backup, then your at the mercy of a tom tom service to re flash the maps at god knows what price. I'm too scared to follow that up, but I will be trying a certain european originated fix, that seems really complicated, but now I have the sd card back, I can go ahead with a try.

I guess gps units are sensitive and complicated, and in this case it is so important to rtfm first, and not last when it's too late. I'm really starting to dislike this corporation and its jackboot inflexibility.

Good luck to all who venture through these murky waters, and thank you for this fabulous resourceful forum.

Hey all...

the red X means it doesn't have the system files on the SD Card, which you obviously don't, because how would you have them, But wanted to let you know what the red X means. It only goes away when the entire set of files on on there so it can boot from it.

Do you have a way to connect the SD card to the computer, not through the TT? A card reader, through a printer, anywhere. This way you can actually put information on it since the TT won't let you until there is info on it (totally catch 22 there)

Now getting the files, i don't know what to tell you. I don't know if TT Home will let you download what you need to a SD card. I would call them back and just pester them. Seems like they should have a way to get them to you.

OK, with that being said, this is my other thought. If you go a unit without the card, where is the card? Because, honestly, the maps are connected to the device (as far as i know) so you need the maps on that card, since they're for your TT. I don't know what they'll say about that because in a way you could be some guy who wants the latest set of maps, so you say this story, and then you get them, i don't think it will fly. I know that's not your case, but that might be how they see it. So they might be able to give you the system files, but i doubt they're going to give you the maps, they cost like $100. So it sounds like you might have got duped. I would be on that guy on ebay like crazy...

The 'Home' program is your interface for connecting the unit to TomTom on the web. It is a program that runs on your PC, not on the GPS unit. If you connect your unit to your computer with a blank SD card inserted, then 'Home' will recognize that you are missing the system files and will download and install them onto your unit. The system files are free.

What you are missing, however, is the map folder. And this, TomTom will not provide for free. You will have to purchase a new one. This can be done through the 'Home' program.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)
I guess I duped myself. The Ebay listing stated that only the device and charger was included. I should've done more research before I jumped to bid on the item... but it was only a few minutes left. I figured $90 was a good price. I didn't know all about the maps and sd card, until I got the useless TT.

Anyway, customer support provided the system files. Now all I need is the map. I would've never imagined how much it would cost. :(

Ask a Question