Help! New 510 will not connect to iMac!

Hey Gang,

My fiance just got her mother in law a 510 for her birthday. I was able to easily install the tomtom home software easy enough. I connect the dock to my iMac, attach the 510 to it, launch the software, and... nothing! The tomtom home software is unable to detect the 510. I powered the 510 on, a message asked if I want to connect to my computer. I click yes and a different graphic comes up.

Im not sure what I am doing wrong. I am running OSX 10.4.9. The 510 does not even mount on my desktop.

Thanks!

Tom

I think it's a general problem with intel Macs. Let's hope the next update for HOME fixes this. I tried to connect a 910 to my intel core duo mac and it wouldn't detect it at all.

Fix for 10.4.9 problem

After a frustrating evening trying to get the 510 to mount on my Intel Imac with 10.4.9, I googled the issue and devised this solution.
It has worked reliably all day and allowed me to install Tripmaster and Revereseitn.
It will not allow routing, etc with Home as some "mysterious component" is not available, but I really just needed to do updates and software installs.

1. Connect a removable usb hard drive to one of the Imac's rear usb ports.
2. After the drive mounts, unmount it.
3. Plug the TT dock into the usb port on the KEYBOARD.
4. Power on the TT. It mounts!

The first time I did this it took about 10 minutes to mount. I had given up, left it plugged in and went to make an espresso. Came back and it was mounted.
It has mounted immediately ever since.
I don't have to do steps 1 and 2 unless I've rebooted the Imac.
Hope this helps.
Stan

Interesting. Good work-around for now, unless you have an Apple bluetooth keyboard. :)

Ask a Question