"Help Me" modifying?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 125
It seems like the "Help Me" information would be an interesting place to hack around. A quick look at the /helpme directory on the unit shows a bunch of images and files with a .html extension, so it implies that the unit has a rudimentary web browser. The possibilities would seem to be endless.

But when I look at one of the files, it's not HTML -- or not exactly HTML, at least. It's got a bunch of binary characters, with just enough ASCII to show that there's HTML in there somewhere. Like, "<HTM*L>", where * is something unprintable (not unlike what I said under my breath when I saw it :) ).

Has anyone played around with these files, and maybe found a way to add a cool feature to the unit? It would be a great little portable picture viewer (I've already replaced the startup/shutdown .bmps with pix of the kids).

A quick look at the /helpme directory on the unit shows a bunch of images and files with a .html extension, so it implies that the unit has a rudimentary web browser. The possibilities would seem to be endless.<htm*l>
Yes, there's a browser. If you create a folder called "text" off the root of your unit or SD card, you will find that HTML files placed there, along with associated GIF files, etc., can be read on-screen. I do this all the time for geocaching. I keep about 1500 active cache pages there for review if I need to see them "in the field". That made it possible to use a really inexpensive but sensitive Garmin eTrex Summit for the close-in work instead of a far more expensive 60cx or similar.

</htm*l>

RobertB,

As canderson mentioned you don't need to modify the HelpMe to get that functionality.
Create the following folders on the root of your TomTom or SD card

photos [contains JPEG and BMP photos added to unit by user]
How to view these photos on your device:
1. Open 'Music and Media' in the Main menu.
2. Select 'Photo Gallery'
3. Select your photos

text [contains plain text or HTML added to unit by user]
This is how to use the rudimentary web browser
How to read documents on your device:
1. Open 'Music and Media' in the Main menu.
2. Select 'Document Reader'.
3. Select your new document.

Yes, there's a browser. If you create a folder called "text" off the root of your unit or SD card, you will find that HTML files placed there, along with associated GIF files, etc., can be read on-screen. I do this all the time for geocaching. I keep about 1500 active cache pages there for review if I need to see them "in the field". That made it possible to use a really inexpensive but sensitive Garmin eTrex Summit for the close-in work instead of a far more expensive 60cx or similar.

I created a small index.html in a /text folder off the root, but I can't find any way to make its contents show up under any menu option I can think of.

@TomTomWorker: Quit teasing -- you know I'm itchin' to try it now!

Oops, we simulposted.

I've got a ONE -- very basic, no music or media options. So I guess the /text option won't work after all.

Oops, we simulposted.

I've got a ONE -- very basic, no music or media options. So I guess the /text option won't work after all.
Ooops... I had assumed you had the "Document reader" under "Music and Media". Sorry about that. No significant experience playing with the ONE models, and it shows. I keep forgetting what they are missing feature-wise.

RobertB,

Try adding the free TomPlayer 3rd party plug-in to view movies and photos.

That will cover you need for photos - now for the HTML I am not sure what you can do there.
I am like canderson and own a GO and have no experience with a ONE.

Last edited:
I created a small index.html in a /text folder off the root, but I can't find any way to make its contents show up under any menu option I can think of.

I have an XL 30 series, and have created a custom menu for it. I added the Document viewer to view files in the /text directory by adding the line:

MENUITEM|TASK_DOC_BROWSER

on one of my pages, removing the MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY line to keep it at 5 entries per page

Hope this helps

Chris

Ask a Question