Help - Can't backup ONe XL

I've tried to backup my TT (so I can add Europe Maps). I've tried the TT Backup feature and I've tried the Windows Explorer method. Each time it copies everything up to the US & Canada Maps folder and it gets hung up an says that there was en error copying the "gnames" (??? forgot to write this down) file. The only file from that folder that copies is "cline". Once this happens, my TT locks up on the connection screen with a red X saying don't remove. It will not power down (no matter how long I hold the power button) and I have to let the batteries drain and recharge until I can turn it on again.

I followed the instructions to uninstall and reinstall the applications, which worked fine, but still had the same results. I've been fighting this for the last week trying to figure it out and I'm heading for Europe later today and need to load the new maps - very frustrated.

Do you have a previous backup of the map? If so, (and since you don't seem to have a problem loading the application), use Explorer to highlight the drive depicted by the unit and format it (FAT32), then restore the backed up map and operating system.

If you don't have a backed up map but the map was NOT the original one with the unit, then you still have the map in compressed format on your computer from its original download, so you can still go through the process.

If that isn't an option, try using Explorer to rename the offending file (shot in the dark) and see if it'll copy then.

Or you can try going to My Computer, highlighting the TomTom drive, right clicking and selecting Repair.

Anyway, some options for you to try.

Ask a Question