HELP! Blinking Red Ball with White X in the middle

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330 S
I have backed up my files on my hard drive and on TT.com website. Now, when I disconnect the unit from the computer, I see a blinking red ball with a white X in it. Does this mean I have a problem? Nothing works but the red ball.

Sorry for this question, but this unit is not easy to work. I find no mention of this blinking red ball in the documentation or on the TT.com website.

Dean

See if the information in this link helps.

You probably disconnected your unit incorrectly. You should use Home's Device Disconnect if using Home 2.5 and WAIT till the screen saying it's ok to disconnect shows.

Well, it is now 9:30 PM. I have been working on this problem for several hours today. I still have the blinking X. I took the easy route first and emptied all files except the Maps folder. I ran disk utility first aid to fix any disk problems. I reinstalled the files and still had the blinking ball. Next I took the more severe route and reformatted the disk. The help file link 'dhn' listed above said to reformat to MS-DOS (FAT) format. MS-DOS was not a choice on my disk utility. But I saw the previous format listed UNIX file system. I had that choice on my disk utility so that is what I formatted the disk to. Now I can't get the disk to take all the files that I had previously taken off the disk prior to formatting it. I get the dialog box saying not enough disk space to load .xxx files.

I have sent an email to TT.com support in hopes of hearing from them soon about this problem. I feel I may have damaged the disk by disconnecting improperly at some point, but I should be able to repair it, you would think.

If this can't be problem corrected, I will be sending the unit back to the catalog store (QVC).

You should not be messing around with different format file structures. Are you on a windows or mac machine?

Any windows machine can easily do FAT 32 (dos??). Once you get it formatted, don't copy files back (except the map folder - AFTER you have let Home install a clean application download).

Don't do anything but get the application working first. It will then boot up OK, but say "no maps found" (of course..). Then copy the map fioler back over.

GWA,

Thanks for your comments. My computer is a Macintosh with system X. The Macintosh disk repair utility does not have MS-DOS FAT as a re-format choice. I am not sure why this was listed in the TT.com help file. I followed those instructions until I got to that point.

(http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1898&Lid=1)

This help file says to make a backup of all files on the device, then re-format the device. After re-formatting the device re-install all backed up files back onto the device, delete the application files and using Home, and then re-install the applications, using HOME.

I made a mistake formatting to the UNIX format. I will to go to a Windows machine and reformat to MS-DOS FAT format. Then I can follow the steps listed again and hopefully the device will work again.

With the dawn of a new day I realized that it's not the end of the world.

Thank you and dhn for your time and helpful suggestions.

Dean

Ask a Question