Hello from California

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL 330
Hello. Nice forum you guys have here :)

I'm currently using a Tomtom One 130.

See you guys on the road.

PS: I don't know what map version of USA and Canada was pre loaded on my TT (just bought it last week) but just yesterday I noticed that I qualified for the Latest Map Guarantee and now have the 720 version of USA and Canada map. I now have more POI's and some POI's now include pictures! (before the POIs just had b&w icons) So far my TT experience has been awesome :)

Last edited:
In order to keep you experience that way, suggest you do a few things now if you have not already done so:

1. Install TomTom Home - do not use the enclosed CD - download it from the TomTom website (should be version 2.3).

2. Connect it to your computer, and go to Windows explorer (not TT Home right now). Make a copy of the device (all files as-is) to a folder on you hard drive.

3. Open TomTom Home while you unit is connected. If it wants to download any updates - do not let it right now!

4. Go to "Copy to Computer" Icon, and open it up.

5. At a minimum, Download your map and also the current application from here. This will allow you to easily reinstall these if you loose the map on the device somehow, and when you let Home update your application, you will always be able to easily remove it and reinstall the old one if you have problems with the new (many have had problems).

6 Now you can go back to the "Update my device" Icon and if it offers to load a new application (probably 8.01), you can now do so safely. If it causes you any problems, you can delete it with Home and reinstall your current one without having to do a full restore.

This may sound like quite a bother, but the forum is full of problems that members have had because they did not back things up carefully before buying new maps, updating applications, etc.

Enjoy

Thanks a lot for the advice :)

In order to keep you experience that way, suggest you do a few things now if you have not already done so:

1. Install TomTom Home - do not use the enclosed CD - download it from the TomTom website (should be version 2.3).

2. Connect it to your computer, and go to Windows explorer (not TT Home right now). Make a copy of the device (all files as-is) to a folder on you hard drive.

3. Open TomTom Home while you unit is connected. If it wants to download any updates - do not let it right now!

4. Go to "Copy to Computer" Icon, and open it up.

5. At a minimum, Download your map and also the current application from here. This will allow you to easily reinstall these if you loose the map on the device somehow, and when you let Home update your application, you will always be able to easily remove it and reinstall the old one if you have problems with the new (many have had problems).

6 Now you can go back to the "Update my device" Icon and if it offers to load a new application (probably 8.01), you can now do so safely. If it causes you any problems, you can delete it with Home and reinstall your current one without having to do a full restore.

This may sound like quite a bother, but the forum is full of problems that members have had because they did not back things up carefully before buying new maps, updating applications, etc.

Enjoy

Ask a Question