Height, Daylight problems

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I am having problems with the install on both these programs on my 920. I have height installed, and can see the elevations on the top left of my screen, but the elevation is locked, not changing at all. It is in the root of the TomTom, and was installed through Home.

Daylight is also in the root, and I can see the program through TTMenu. When I touch the configure icon on the TomTom screen, nothing happens but I go back to the navigate view, with no opportunity to configure anything.

I really like having the elevations, and enjoyed that feature in tripmaster. I am holding off on going to 8.30 due to the many problems, and that I will loose programs like Tripmaster.

Any help with Height and Daylight is appreciated.

Andy

I have daylight installed on my 920 also and it does the same thing as yours. From what I can see it also needs execution2 installed. When you look at that program I don't think its compatible with > 8.0. I think that is why it doesn't work.

As far as height is concerned, mine works fine. I don't have an answer for you other that there is a newer one out which is version 8. If you aren't running that version try it.

Thanks, I've deleted daylight, and execution, and things are working with Height. So far the elevations are way off, but I need to take the 920 out for a run and see if it gets a bit more accurate. It is currently showing an elevation of 12430 m where I am at 310 m.
If it doesn't clear up, maybe I can adjust through the config file.
Andy

Ok, what you need to do now is in daytime mode write down the number on the screen and in night time mode write down that number. Go to the height file on your tomtom and open up the height.cfg file. You will see 2 lines one with dxxxx. replace the xxxx with your daytime mode numbers and do the same with nxxxx. replace the nxxxx with your night time mode numbers. Also you can make it into feet by changing mm to mf. mm=meters, mf=feet.
That shoud do it. You can also alter the font size and position. I put mine on the lower left part of the screen x=12, y=195. Hope that helped

These programs and others can be found here: http://gps.dg4sfw.de/ go to projects

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was missing the info on the screen numbers, that what I thought was the elev. was actually the screen numbers that I needed to fill in.

I see that version 8 is out now, and that there have been so more additions to the look of the text in the config. file.

I installed using TomTom Home, and everything went smoothly.

Andy

I have daylight installed on my 920 also and it does the same thing as yours. From what I can see it also needs execution2 installed. When you look at that program I don't think its compatible with > 8.0. I think that is why it doesn't work.
It is compatible, and that behavior is normal, please read the manual (see "FAQ") where you downloaded it! ;)

Ever since >8.0 I have not gotten daylight or time sync to work. I have executionhelper 2 installed. I tried changing ttn to ttnold and using the ttn file that came with executionhelper, but my tomtom would not turn off. I then assumed that it would not work since it was last updated in 07. Are there any other suggestion to get daylight and time sync to work?

Height

I changed my Day / Night screens, so the elevations do not show up anymore.

I connected the 920 to my computer, and went to the Height folder, and the config file inside, and changed the day and night screen identifiers to dxxxxx and nxxxxx. I disconnected, and on the reboot the new identifier numbers needed to show the Height elevations appeared once again. I went to the day and night screens I have chosen, and wrote down the identifier numbers. I then reconnected to the computer, and changed the config file identifiers to the new numbers, and everything working fine again.

For those that like to see the elevations as they drive around, this is a great little app!

Andy

Daylight

Since I was feeling pretty good about getting Height working, I tried to install Daylight and ExecutionHelper. Now the elevations from Height are no longer showing. I feel like one step forward, 2 back. I didn't do anything to Height.

The .toc files and the folders Daylight and Execute are in the root directory, and Daylight's sdk files are in the sdk folder. Somethings not right, and I don't understand why Height was working and now it isn't.

Any help is appreciated!

Andy

That kind of happened to me also. I did a clear flash and height quit working. I just did a reinstall from home and it worked again.

Thanks, good tip. I re-installed everything using home, and once again Height didn't show. I installed it again, last this time, and there it is. Had to reconfigure the screen identifiers, which I am pretty good at with all this practice, and all is good.
It remains to be seen if Daylight is actally going to work...

It is too bad that Tripmaster isn't being upgraded, since it was such a fun tool. Maybe with the success of some of these other programs, the Tripmaster author will give it another shot.

Andy

Can you let me know if you get Daylight to work and timesync if you are using it? The author says its compatable. If it is I don't know what else to do.

Maybe the two authors can talk to each other and it could be a joint effort.

Last edited:
To make them both work, you have to FIRST install Height, THEN open your TomTom and rename the file "ttn" to (exactly!) "ttn.old", THEN install ExecutionHelper.

If you then install what else you want (Daylight, Timesync, ...), everything should work.

Ok, This is what's happening. I change the ttn which is in the root to "ttn.old" I put the ttn file from the executionhelper into the root. When I do this the TT wont turn off. It just keeps rebooting. I have read executionhelper.pl and it has a statement I don't understand:

Usage: Create your script that will be executed on boot/suspend/resume with
# the parameter "BOOT", "SUSPEND" or "RESUME" and put it into the execute

Am I suppose to add a file or line to something? I opened up the ttn file and it says the same thing.

Thanks for the help

Joghurt, I followed the steps and everything looks to be working as advertised. Everything installed through TomTom Home. Once I changed the Height ttn file to ttn.old it looks like that solved the problems I was having.

Daylight gave me a message that it was working when I switched on.

What should the brightness preferences settings be on my 920? Do I have "Switch to night view when dark" checked or unchecked?

These appear to be great little programs once I get them installed correctly. Thanks!

Andy

Joghurt

I got daylight to work. I downloaded it again and put in in the directory of downloads again. TT home reconized executionhelper and everything is almost good.

I have found timesync is the program that won't allow my tt to shut down. I am able to load it from tt home but when done and I shut off the tt, it just reboots. I have to delete it from my tt to shut it down.

Any thoughts?

What should the brightness preferences settings be on my 920? Do I have "Switch to night view when dark" checked or unchecked?
No, you'll have to disable these switches for Daylight to work correctly.

I have to delete it from my tt to shut it down.
Any thoughts?
No, sorry. :(

But with newer NavCore-versions, it shouldn't be necessary any more, anyway...? Seems like TomTom fixed that timesync-problem... :)

Just a happy report on "Height". It worked wonderfully on my ONE, and I didn't notice any problems due to my 8.x firmware.

Strangely, both the day and night screens on my unit are screen # "7". Maybe I can find out the screen ID of the satellite view and add Height to that screen as the "alternate". Or here's an enhancement idea -- make the list of screens to modify dynamic, so that you could have:

screen1=7 #Main screen or Day
screen2=16535 #Night
screen3=32767 #Sat position
screen9=65535 #Misc

More than 9 would be overkill, probably. (Heck, the whole idea is probably overkill!)

The only thing I notice with Height is how inaccurate the raw GPS data is. Either that, or the parking lot at work (which always seemed flat to me) slopes at a random +/-30 degree angle. :) It's a well-known fact that GPS isn't all that precise on height (largely because 50 feet isn't much on the ground, but you wouldn't want to fall that far), but I think my cheap little ONE is even less accurate than usual.

No need for the Sync or Daylight tools -- my unit already has those features built in.

Ask a Question