Have to enter City? Is this true?

Hi,

I was almost ready to get a TomTom XL 340S and was reading an excellent review and guide when notice this deal breaker. Trying to find out if true.

That I have to enter a city when entering an street address?!

I was going to get this for work and coworkers have the other major brands. They just enter an street address, search the state I guess. But it works. Seems this won't work with TomTom.

My job with the utility company requires I go to a lot of places that might not be in a city or not sure what city it is actually in. But I have street addresses. I thought I would be the first one in my dept with a TomTom.

Example: I might have an address: 135 Tulip St. in my state. No one else seems to have an issue doing this on the other brands. I do have GPS coords, but there might be times I don't have them, so don't want to rely on that.

Any truth to this. If not true can you point me to a guide showing how to enter just an address and search the state for it?

Thanks, Dave

Thanks for verifying that. I can see a lot of people that won't be able to use TomTom because of that. Glad I tried to do a thorough review and caught this (almost didn't) before bought one. That is definitely something they should correct.

Many have requested this functionality ...... whether we'll ever see it from TomTom in future application updates, who knows?????

Actually I have never used a GPS before, so I inquired further to a Magellan and another type of user. They do have to enter the City. But said you can also enter the zip code, which is faster.

I believe the XL 340S can do that, so I might be back on track to get one still.

Okay, settled on XL 335-S model found at Costco for great price.
Using my Linux to backup the hard drive before do anything else. Like they say, this old usb they are using is very slow, says have 47 minutes left to copy to backup.

Well, better to backup and wait then to screw it up and have to wait longer.

I still don't understand why Tomtom still using USB1.1 port while USB3.0 is about to open the gate :(
It's ridiculous!

Ask a Question