Have 720, what am I missing from the 920T?

So far I've owned 2 - 720's both had issues and where returned. I then picked up a 920T, and after a week found it hard to justify it's steep price.

So now I'm back to square one, with a 720.

I've enabled voice recognition & I have the larger data base of POI's that comes with the 920.

So other than, dead reckoning, traffic, and the blue tooth remote what am I missing, that I would have with the 920?

I'm trying to justify the price of 920T, even though we have TMC traffic in my area it barely works. When I tried out the Nuvi 760 it was only reporting one road, so that was disappointing. It was always green, even if traffic was moving at a crawl.

If anything I'm considering taking back this 720 and getting a Best Buy Warranty, or trading it for the 920T again.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
So far I've owned 2 - 720's both had issues and where returned. I then picked up a 920T, and after a week found it hard to justify it's steep price.

So now I'm back to square one, with a 720.

I've enabled voice recognition & I have the larger data base of POI's that comes with the 920.

So other than, dead reckoning, traffic, and the blue tooth remote what am I missing, that I would have with the 920?

I'm trying to justify the price of 920T, even though we have TMC traffic in my area it barely works. When I tried out the Nuvi 760 it was only reporting one road, so that was disappointing. It was always green, even if traffic was moving at a crawl.

If anything I'm considering taking back this 720 and getting a Best Buy Warranty, or trading it for the 920T again.

Thanks for the help.

I forget the exact acronym but the 920's also come with a feature such that your location is not lost when you go through tunnels, mountain passes, etc. where a satellite signal would not get through.

Also, of course, the 920 comes loaded with both NA and European maps and has more memory.

I forget the exact acronym but the 920's also come with a feature such that your location is not lost when you go through tunnels, mountain passes, etc. where a satellite signal would not get through.

I can't remember the name of that either, but my 720 doesn't really drop my position in tunnels either. The screen grays out and I lose heading/speed, but the car keeps going along the same path. It's as if it's estimating where I am at that point based on where I was when the GPS signal was lost. Perhaps it has tunnels in its database and knows? Then when I come out the other end of the tunnel, the screen comes back to color and the heading and speed come back as well.

Dead reckoning defined: Dead reckoning (DR) is the process of estimating one's current position based upon a previously determined position, or fix, and advancing that position based upon known speed, elapsed time, and course.

My 720 definitely does that...

I also remember seeing the gas price subscription being offered on the 920, no mention of it for the 720.

But seems like a small thing to me.

Don't need European maps - consider the 720

Enhanced Position Technology is the term being sought. The 920 has it, but the 720 doesn't. It calculates position based upon direction and speed. European maps are included with the 920. Also, the 920 has a remote. The remote is an extra accessory for the 720. I believe these are the major differences.

Personally, if you don't need the European maps I would get the 720 - save $100. I question if the EPT and remote are worth the extra $100 if you don't need the European maps.

The 920T includes the traffic antenna and subscription for an extra $100. This can be purchased for the 720 and 920 at a later time if desired.

i went between the two for a couple of week and decided on the 720...the other features can be added for much cheaper...got my rds ant for $80, voice recognition for $0, remote can be had for $40~, and just got a 2gb sd card for $11

The screen grays out and I lose heading/speed, but the car keeps going along the same path.
With EPT, the screen doesn't gray out and guess which direction you are heading. The 920 has motion sensors so when it looses reception, the screen does not gray out but it will determine where you are on the map.

I had the 720 and recently migrated up to the 920 (without traffic). I did so becuase I really wanted the speech recognition capability and European maps, for an upcoming trip to Germany. If I wouldn't have a need for the European maps, I probably would have kept the 720. There isn't that much of a difference (albeit remote, EPS, speech, and maps). BTW, the EPS is nothing to write home to mother about. I do; however, like the speech recognition, but once all of the favorites have been entered, I found that I rarely need the speech recognition.

The answer to your question really depends of your satnav usage. For example if you dont use Bluetooth with your mobile phone or dont use FM transmitter there
is not that much to gain when choosing 720 over One XL for example.

I own 920T and when doing comparisions I noticed I dont use any of 720 features (bluetooth and FM transmitter) I however do find included remote, EPT and TMC usefull on everyday basis.

Now after I got used to handling my device via remote if you'd give me 720 the first thing I would do is to go and buy remote,

Last edited:
The remote is great. I enjoyed it when I first used it with my 910.
I rather prefer it use radio waves instead of the current bluetooth. Just drains the battery.

Ask a Question