Hardwire power for ONE.

I am looking to hardwire the power line for the unit. I really do not like having the line across my dash. I have already found my ignition wire to use, but I cannot find the correct cable. Does anyone here have their unit hardwired and if so, what and where did you get the wire?

Thanks for all of the useful information here...

you cant use the tomtom without the supplied charger as this 'steps' down the voltage...you can plug the tomtom charger into an extension lead and then hardwire that..

Thanks, I knew there had to be a way. The cord is just tacky when in the way and the ashtray always has to stay open.

no problem. that's one of the first 'extras' I ordered... I don't like visible wires either and the 2-4 hour battery life of the ONE ...well I figured hardwaire wouldn't be so bad to have. Let me know how you make out. Possibly post a picture or two.

you cant use the tomtom without the supplied charger as this 'steps' down the voltage...you can plug the tomtom charger into an extension lead and then hardwire that..

Does that go for the 910 also? I am glad I read this I was days away from a cut and slice.....

I have decided against purchasing this connection. There are way too many electronics that use a 5v connection now and the cables list for under $20. I am going to wait and try to find another cable. At least buy a voltage regulator and put it inline. There has to be a cheaper easier way.

My wife and I both prefer having the TT1 within arm's reach on the the left of the steering wheel on the Altima.

That means either having the cord draped across the dash (tacky), running on AC power (OK for a while), or hardwiring to the car...

Has anyone found a good solution for hardwiring the TT1? If nothing else, I'll just buy a female cigarette lighter adapter and a spare TT1 power adapter.

Buy a cigarette lighter USB power supply on eBay for under $5. Open it up and hard wire it into the 12 volt supply. Then put it back together, wrap with tape, or otherwise insulate anything that might be exposed inside. Hide it somewhere under the instrument panel. Connect it to the TomTom via a mini-USB cable.

Rather than opening up an adapter get the 12 V Battery Clips w/12 V Power Outlets (RPPSAPS) from here, cut off the clips and wire it in. Once done and your sure it's right plug in the adapter. Much safer that way.

I did this some time ago. Easiest thing to do is to head down to either Autozone or Advance Auto parts or somplace similar and get yourself one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-Ad...ses/dp/B0009U64H4/ref=pd_sim_dbs_auto_title_6

It adds a 12v circuit easily to your fuse box. Then pick up an extra 12V outlet and wire it to this. Either place should have one that's ready to wire. Only this left is to plug the included adapter into the new outlet. I hid the new outlet behind my dash so that you don't see the wires. I also made a custom dock but that's another story.

Here's a link to an similar outlet I added.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-570

You can see total cost should be somewhere around $10.

Last edited:

Ask a Question