Hard wiring the Rider 2?

I have a Rider two that I want to hard wire into my DL650. I want to have it so that I can leave the GPS unit mounted, the key off, and no charge at all going to the battery. I'm not mechanically nor electrically inclined at all, so please respond in the most basic terms possible. I've read that I would have to take the Rider 2 off after each ride, because the battery would trickle. Thanks for any help.

Shannon

I have a Rider two that I want to hard wire into my DL650. I want to have it so that I can leave the GPS unit mounted, the key off, and no charge at all going to the battery. I'm not mechanically nor electrically inclined at all, so please respond in the most basic terms possible. I've read that I would have to take the Rider 2 off after each ride, because the battery would trickle. Thanks for any help.

Shannon

You can wire it directly to the battery, but you will also have to install a relay in the + lead to break the connection every time you turn off the ignition. I normally wire the relay to the positive side of the tail light or some other low current device that is powered when the ignition is on. You'll probably need a wiring diagram or meter to find the + to the light.

If you go to Radio Shack they can set you up with a 12v relay. I will look up the part number that I use if you like. I have my heated grips wired thru a relay and it works fine. It keeps me from draining down my battery if I fail to turn the heat off.:eek:

Presently I have my GPS wired in parallel with my accessory outlet on my Concours 14. :)

re

Thanks, everyone. Would one of those cigarette lighter types work as long as it had a rely thingy, or a fuse?
Would it hurt the receiver adapter to have something plugged in most of the time.
Shannon

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. Would one of those cigarette lighter types work as long as it had a rely thingy, or a fuse?
Would it hurt the receiver adapter to have something plugged in most of the time.
Shannon

I used one on my BMW. It worked, but was hidden behind the fairing and I had to keep removing the fairing to reinsert the plug, as it just didn't hold up to the vibrations of the road.

I've been using a 12v cig adapter for my GPS and Sirius Radio for several years and no problems, I have mine mounted to one of my windshield brackets, I can leave them plugged in (but turned off) for days with no problem, on the other hand I do keep the battery plugged into a battery tender when at home 24/7.......

Shannon

This is the relay I normally use. I install it under the seat out of the weather.

From Radio Shack 12VDC/30A SPST Automotive Relay
Model: 275-226 | Catalog #: 275-226

Pigtail wiring

Am I correct that the power pigtail for the Rider2 is Black to ground and Red to 12-volt?.

I need to put together a cigarette lighter adapter to use the Rider2 on my other bikes (my Norge is pre-wired with the TomTom power adapter) using their 12-volt receptacles.

Thanks,

jdg

External speaker on Rider V2

Just thought I would add a little assistance to those that are trying to wire a speaker to the TomTom Rider V2

I was looking, could not find so I had to discover myself.
I was going to use a simple BT receiver but I notice that the switch on times for most BT speakers/Headsets is 1/4 o 1/5 (up to 1) second and as such you tend not to hear the complete voice instruction.

On the back there is 4 connections.
Looking at the TOMTOM unit and counting from Left to Right.

1(ORANGE): Ground (0v)
2(RED): (not sure but I would suspect it is a mic input)
3(BROWN): Speaker positive out ( very low power so may require a small preamp or wired to an AUX in)
4(BLACK): 5v. (draws about 1.2amp on flat battery)

OK so who in their right mind though Black was positive and Orange was ground.
Perhaps this is a TomTom confusion tactick..

The tomtom unit will switch over to using the external speaker output once +5v power is applied to pin 4
(and the negative to pin 1)
Speaker negative should also connect to pin 1
You will see the message in the top right of the screen

You can also test using a wired headphone (to pins 1 and 3).

I hope this helps those that are looking to get an external speaker working.

Hv.

Hard Wiring the audio

Hi, I read your post with real interest. I am trying to get the audio from my tomtom rider v2 to pipe straight into a starcom 1 digital system, - the bluetooth does not work wonderfully, and a hardwire connection would be much better. I have a ram mount, and have hardwired the power in already.

Have you adapted the mount / dissembled it to pick up the connections ? Can you show wiring diagrams or photos ?

Did you need the amplification, and if so how would one add this to the wiring,

Any parts or sources (maplins / radio shck url's) would be really useful ! :)

many thanks

Simon
GTR1400 + TomoTom Rider V2 + starcom 1 digital.

Yep, wire to either your headlight, brake light, or switched accessory wire. We would need an electrical diagram of your bike to advise what wires to go for sorry. I take it you also have the rider powered dock or modified the unpowered dock?

Ken.

I hard wired mine to the wires on the back of my accessory plug. Red to + black to -. It goes on and off with the key and since the accessory circuit is fused all is protected.
Mike

Ask a Question