Hard reset not working on 910

TomTom HOME froze on me while I was trying to make my initial backup, and I had to force the program to quit. This caused the 910 to also freeze on a blue screen.

I've done the reset with the pin several times, but the TomTom never gets past the screen with the photo of the TomTom. Did I do the sequence right? I used the pin in the reset button, and the screen went dark. Then I pressed the On button down and held it while the white text filled most of the screen. Then I let go. Then it gave the start-up sound, went to a screen with a drawing of the TomTom and a status bar (which filled up), but then it went to the TomTom photo. I let it stay there for up to an hour, but nothing else happens.

Any ideas as to what I should do? I tried connecting it to the computer and to power, with no success. I'm now charging it to see if a full charge changes things.

(The unit worked well and was getting a satellite signal when I first took it out of the box.)

It seems that your unit is new. I would suggest to get an exchange. Turning the unit off during that moment must of corrupted something.

It is new -- just got it today. Unfortunately I got it online and returning is going to be a hassle, if it comes to that. It took forever to come... and I'm nervous that if I don't get it returned and get a new one by June 15, I'll no longer be eligible for the free maps. Maybe if I explain the situation to TomTom customer service now...

If I'd only gotten a backup complete, I think I'd have a better chance of restoring it.

I undestand your situation.
I would contact TomTom Support 1st thing tomorrow morning:
call 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 2:00PM EST Saturdays)

Thank you! You guys are so helpful. I was going by the great stickie telling new owners what to do step by step, but alas I didn't get it all right. I think (particularly because I had to connect through the keyboard USB port due to the whole Mac OS 10.4.9 situation) I should have quit all other programs and not touched the computer while it was making its backup.

I stopped a backup with the HOME software and ran the update... next thing I know it had the same problem you are all reporting.

I returned it to Best Buy within 3 hours of buying it and got a replacement immediately.

I plan on never updating the main application. GPS QuickFix for me only.

The North American support people have been really good. They had me run the Clear Flash tool here, which didn't work, but then the May 2006 GPS firmware update here, and now the unit is working normally again.

I'll have to see how it goes, though. If it keeps being buggy and I can't get a backup made, I may go for an exchange. Particularly since I initially did what some others have done and used the paper clip in the microphone hole (ouch!). Will test the microphone to see if it's okay. Anyone else who's done that, does your microphone seem to work all right?

Tech support said they couldn't guarantee, but most likely they'd be able to sort out the free map situation for me if I had to exchange. They also said the deadline for the free maps may be extended again, past the June 15 deadline.

I have the exact same problem

Hi Emily,
I did exactly the same thing you did and my new TomTom GO 910 is doing exactly the same thing. The same screen comes up and everything. I believe that what we are doing to reset with the pin, is actually a soft reset instead of a hard reset. The call center is not open at this time so I will try tommorow. If I find anything out i will let you know.
One interesting thing is, that even though my 910 is not operational from its own screen. I can connect to it with TomTom Home.

All the best
Bob

Bob, do you have the lastest firmwire application installed on your unit? if your unit can connect to HOME, I would install the lastest firmwire. If you have the latest firmewire, your HOME software should still have the application in the HOME folders. Try to reinstall the latest firmwire to see if it will help.

Soft reset, you're right.

Yes, it was the firmware that fixed my TomTom. You can try clicking on the link in my earlier post to get it.

My TomTom was also doing what you described -- though it was freezing on the splash screen, it would still connect to the computer if I used the paper clip and then didn't turn the power on again until it was docked to the computer.

Hey Guys, I had the same trouble - Many Times with the 910.

Heres what you do.

Ensure Your battery is fully charged, because batteries running flat whilst running a hardrive cause absolute havoc!

Then Press and hold your power button on the top of the Tom Tom 910 whilst pressing the reset pin underneath. This will cause the Tomtom to reboot from its own bios looking screen and then once it automatically boots up, I highly recommend connecting to the Tomtom Home software on your computer, performing all updates and THEN BACKUP!

All the Best

Darren Starr;)

I stopped a backup with the HOME software and ran the update... next thing I know it had the same problem you are all reporting.

I returned it to Best Buy within 3 hours of buying it and got a replacement immediately.

I plan on never updating the main application. GPS QuickFix for me only.

You should do frequent back-ups! Just don't stop the back-up midstream. I have had by 510 for almost two years and have not had a problem w/ backups. Backups are crucial. If you do make a blunder, a backup might be the only way out of the hole!!

I think I've just worked out how to get it to respond ;

Press the reset button with a pin, the screen will go black

Place the TomTom in its cradle (connected to computer)

Hold down the power button until the screen fills up with white text and the timer starts counting a few seconds at the bottom of the screen ( the "Startup Mode should be "Sleep")

Let go of the power button and the TomTom should be active enough to work with.

My TOMTOM 920T will not boot up. When connected to the computer, the computer does not recognize the TOMTOM. I tried different computers, USBcables. Did all the resets, spoke with tech support who eventually just hung up on me.
Received an email from tech support stating mine was out of warranty and they will not even try to fix it.
$600. buck down the drain.
Seems like TOMTOM should have offered me to send mine in and get a replacement for a reduced price.

Switching to Garmin.

Ask a Question