Had a Go720, Got a New Go630 - What Should I Know Before Activating the Go 630?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 630, Go 720
I had a Go 720 for about a year and a three quarters. Loved it. I paid full price to update the map once before they brought in the quarterly update program. Have version 8.302 map on it presently. Was faced with having to apparently do 2 full upgrades to get my maps up-to-date with IQ Routes. TomTom support indicated that it would be $120-ish or something in total for the upgrades. My Go720 holds a charge for about 5 minutes now, and the power button is a little funky. It's difficult to turn on sometimes and turns itself on other times (I notice it when it's on the cradle next to the computer), but otherwise it works well enough. Gets me from A to B.

So Black Friday rolled around and I saw that I could get a brand new Go 630 for about $159 after tax and shipping. After investigating and finding out that the Go 630 is pretty much the same as the Go 730 except for the FM transmitter (which I don't use anyway because I like to listen to my XM radio while driving rather than MP3s), it was a no-brainer. For an extra $40-ish dollars I could get a brand new unit (with a brand new battery and a power button that worked better) along with the brand new maps. It seems that my Go 720 essentially became disposible after less than 2 years of ownership. So I bought the Go 630 rather than paying to update the maps of the Go 720..

Anyhow, I'm no stranger to the quirks of TomToms. And no you won't find me upgrading to the latest version of the Go application or Home until after I've given it a good couple of weeks for the initial bug-related trauma of others to subside. So I would like to get an idea of if there are any pitfalls I should look out for before powering up the Go 630 for the first time. I don't want to deactivate the Go 720, I'd like to be able to update and use both models concurrently.

Question 1: I get the impression that a new map is imminent. Or has it already come out? I'd like to make sure that I get the latest version as my free upgrade. I didn't do that and regretted it with my Go 720 because I ended up with an already outdated map right from the get-go (the new map came out a week after I used my newest map guarantee). So am I good to go now or do I still need to wait before activating the free upgrade to the latest Map?

Question 2: I noticed that the Go 630 doesn't come with a USB cradle for charging the unit at the computer. Instead it only comes with a USB cable. However, I like my Go 720's cradle and don't really want to switch to just having it hanging from a USB cable. Can I use the cradle to charge my new Go 630 as well as the Go 720? Is the cradle compatible with both models? I googled for an answer to that but couldn't find a definite answer anywhere. The unit looks like it should fit onto the cradle properly. But I'd rather make sure that it won't cause harm before trying it.

From reading these boards, I take it that I should not register my new unit with the same email address that my other one is registered with or I'll have problems keeping both units active at the same time. Good to know. I'll register the new unit with a different email address.

Question 3: I already have TomTom Home installed on my computer. It's not the latest version, though. It's version 2.7.3.1894. I'm not crazy about this version since I keep getting messages about "updating my device" every time I open TomTom Home (yes it's a bug, I know that, but it's annoying). Mapshare stopped working before the year of free updates was over for me too. I never get messages about how many updates are available anymore and probably haven't for a year now, so I don't think Mapshare is working properly (I know I only get 1 year of free updates but it isn't even giving me messages about how many mapshare updates there are anymore). I contacted TT tech support several times about a year ago on how to solve this problem to no avail. The backup button is also grayed out (apparently my unit doesn't have the ability to back up using Home). I just back up using explorer, but I assume that the backup function is supposed to work through Home and not be grayed out. And "Operate My Go" is grayed out too. It used to work in older versions of Home, but hasn't for a while now. TT support was no help in solving that either.

Is there any advantage to uninstalling my present version of Home and installing the version on the CD that came with the Go 630 or should I just let my presently installed version update to the latest version of Home online? Have any of those bugs I'm experiencing been fixed in the new version? Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to update to the newest version of Home right now (any weird and inconvenient bugs associated with the newest version?)

Question 4: Is there any reason I can't use the same version of Home for both units, as long as I log in with the correct email address first?

Last question: Is there anything else I should do/ not do/ be aware of before powering my new unit on on the cradle? (other than to make sure I don't wait too long to take advantage of the newest map guarantee?) And yes, the very first thing I will do is back up the files on the unit.

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys rock!

Welcome to TTF.

8.302 is NOT your map version on the 720, it is the application installed. Tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed. Tap the version number to see the map installed and its version.

1. The new 840 map came out November 24th so you are eligible for that. But, as you said, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents prior to doing any updates. In fact, NEVER use Home for backups and restores.

2. Not sure of the architecture of the 630 but simply try to place it on the cradle (without forcing it). If it fits and the power light goes on, it should be ok.

3. Your version of Home is the latest. Some weirdness you are experiencing may really be due to some issues interfacing with the 720. In any event, uninstall Home and download it again from here. No point going with an older version on the cd.

4. Yes, you can use both units with the same Home application. Just have a separate email address for each model.

5. After getting the new map via the LMG, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on your computer.

You need to update the Navcore application to the latest using Home BEFORE using LMG or you might not get the v840 map - Mike

How old is your map (what version is it)? If you attempt to purchase the map subscription for your 720, it should be about $50 + $4 per catch-up month. $120 sounds way too high.

I find no problems with using the same email, other than:
1) you can't switch devices more than once every 6 months.
2) you have to go to Manage my GO and remove everything from the "items on my computer" section to prevent HOME confusion with the old Tomtom's files.

The advantage of using the same email is that if you have a traffic subscription, it follows the email so you get it transferred automatically to the new device. And the advantage of using a real email is that you get a receipt for things like map subscription purchases.

Ask a Question