Greetings from South Africa

Hi,

Though I have used many GPS units in the past (most of them Garmins), I recently bought my first, a TomTom Go 630. Here in South Africa, Garmin is by far the more popular choice (TomTom has not been on the market in this country for as long as Garmin). However, after using a TomTom 9xx on a recent trip to Cape Town, I decided that I prefer the TomTom interface.

So far I am very happy with my 630. It has a wealth of features and options which I am really enjoying. There are a few things that I miss from the Garmins that I have used, and I expect that I'll be posting about those niggles here later on.

For now though, I'd like to just mention one of them here, and perhaps someone can set me straight.

With the Garmin, if you want to cancel your current route, you simple tap the screen and press "Stop". For example, if the GPS gets me to where I want to be within a few kilometres and i decide that I no longer want to listen to the voice prompts (perhaps I know the way from here), on the TomTom, I have to tap the screen, press RIGHT a couple times, and then cancel route. I realise that it's only a few extra taps, but it seems as though TomTom didn't regard this as an often used "button", because I cannot even add it to the QuickMenu.

Anyway, all-in-all, I couldn't be happier.

Hi,

Though I have used many GPS units in the past (most of them Garmins), I recently bought my first, a TomTom Go 630. Here in South Africa, Garmin is by far the more popular choice (TomTom has not been on the market in this country for as long as Garmin). However, after using a TomTom 9xx on a recent trip to Cape Town, I decided that I prefer the TomTom interface.

So far I am very happy with my 630. It has a wealth of features and options which I am really enjoying. There are a few things that I miss from the Garmins that I have used, and I expect that I'll be posting about those niggles here later on.

For now though, I'd like to just mention one of them here, and perhaps someone can set me straight.

With the Garmin, if you want to cancel your current route, you simple tap the screen and press "Stop". For example, if the GPS gets me to where I want to be within a few kilometres and i decide that I no longer want to listen to the voice prompts (perhaps I know the way from here), on the TomTom, I have to tap the screen, press RIGHT a couple times, and then cancel route. I realise that it's only a few extra taps, but it seems as though TomTom didn't regard this as an often used "button", because I cannot even add it to the QuickMenu.

Anyway, all-in-all, I couldn't be happier.

I email tomtom to include this feature in the quickmenue a few weeks ago. If your able email this suggestion yourself. If enough users complain maybe they will do this.

I am more than happy to send them an Email requesting this feature.

Can you tell me which Email address you used?

Ask a Question