green light on- not charging

As I said green light on when plugged in, but doesn't charge. I have the new mounts. If I put pressure in different positions pushing the mount tight to the 510 i can get it to charge. Look at picture----->

Attachments

• HPIM0046.JPG
    HPIM0046.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 725
  • HPIM0047.JPG
    HPIM0047.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 742
I kind of have the same problem with my ONE. When I use my cell phone charger, I have to put pressure on it to charge.

However, when I use the car charger it works fine, charges properly.

sounds like an issue with pin alignment. That is the same problem that arises on the 910, different configuration perhaps, that causes pops and cracks when using ipod. I have no solution for that one either.

I have similar problems with my GO 910.

I have 4 car mounts (with 2 cig cables), and 2 USB cradles (with 2 AC cables).

When I first got it, I had no problem charging form any source.

About 6 months ago, I started having problems charging from the USB cradles, but holding it tightly in place with a rubber band, it worked OK. Then even that stopped working.

The 910's green light works with all (valid) combinations of mounts/cables/cradles, BUT the 910 now ONLY charges using one of the 4 car mounts (with any of the 4 cables).

I drive for 2-3 hrs most days and the battery is fully charged (via the one working car mount) at the end of the day. (The 910 battery lasts about 4 hrs in use if not plugged in, and can hold it charge without any significant loss for over a week if not in use.)

2nd Problem

About the same time, my PC stopped recognising the 910 when I "connect to computer". The PC can see a "removable drive", but without a disk. If I then remove the 910 from the USB cradle, the 910 indicates that I should put an SD card in. (The 910 has a HARD disk and no SD slot!)

However, after a reset (via paper-clip), the PC sees the 910as a "TomTom" and the auto-play triggers.

Any Ideas?

I have got the same problem described in this thread. My 910 is not charging (with a green light on) unless I press it hard on the cradle. But that is not very practical as I cannot press the unit down at the same time driving my car. I was thinking that may be a loose contact, but I cannot see any damage or so in the hardware. I called tomtom but since my unit is out of warranty they are not willing to fix (even if I am ok to pay). That makes me a very unhappy customer.

Please let me know if there is any solution to this. It would be a big waste if I have to get a new unit just because of this problem..

Thanks!!

Gilbert

FYI, from other sources I found that my problem *may* be related to the loss of the rubber grommet located at the back of the unit. That causes the unit to lose contact wtih the charger. I am still looking for a replacement rubber grommet to test this theory. Thanks.

FYI, from other sources I found that my problem *may* be related to the loss of the rubber grommet located at the back of the unit. That causes the unit to lose contact wtih the charger. I am still looking for a replacement rubber grommet to test this theory. Thanks.

My unit still has it's grommet. However the "locking process" used to be extremely "tight" (hence difficult to disengage) but it now slips into and out of place quite easily. This does strongly suggest a physical poor electrical contact between 910 and mount, rather than any internal electrical fault.

I had the same problem with my 510. I found that by placing a couple of sheets of paper between the unit and the front of the mount, it would charge. I called cutsomer service and described the symptoms and my solution, and they had me send it in. I received a new 510 in a little over a week. Problem solved.

Dogear

Ask a Question