GREAT Deal on TomTom 740 Live

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 740 LIVE
I know people have been a little skeptical with the 740 LIVE because of the price, but my wife and I were a SAMS Club the other day and saw them on sale for $298. That is about the same price as the 730... couldn't beat that.

My only concerns are:
  1. Will I use the LIVE services
  2. Will I miss the FM Transmitter
  3. Will I miss the MP3/AudioBook capability

Jon

Last edited:
I know people have been a little skeptical with the 740 LIVE because of the price, but my wife and I were a SAMS Club the other day and saw them on sale for $298. That is about the same price as the 730... couldn't beat that.

My only concerns are:
  1. Will I use the LIVE services
  2. Will I miss the FM Transmitter
  3. Will I miss the MP3/AudioBook capability

Jon
Yes, that's a good price, and an interesting balancing act between possible future use of Live and the features you will lose. We're STILL not sure why they killed the MP3/audio. I have to wonder if they discovered that they were running out of CPU horsepower with the Live services?

One more thing that I've heard that you lose on the 740 -- the AUX-out 1/8" connection in the bottom of the unit. If true, this would make it a show-stopper for me since in a noisy road environment, having the sound through the car audio system is important to me, and there seem to be no ways left to do that on the 740. It would be interesting if you'd have a peek and see if that continues to be true on your unit.

Just took a peek at the Best buy 740 demo.

It's got the activedock adapter in the middle, and a slot to the left and right of the dock. Left may be the sim, and right may be the microsd. No line out in sight.

The ipod dock for the 740 is supposed to come with a line out jack.

I'm very much up in the air about continuing Live services after the free 3 months. Honestly I've used Google search once, and live traffic doesn't help me locally. Most of the services are free anyway with only the Google search and traffic worth any add'l money. I may continue just to see if traffic improves but if money was an issue I'd probably say no, not worth it for me. $100+ a year for limited services makes it iffy.

Ask a Question