Grayed Screen for 'Home' and 'Favourites'

By any chance did you just do a map update? If so, do you have a backup of your unit before the update? If so, copy just the mapsettings.cfg file from your old map folder to your new one. If you used Home to make the backup, and need instructions for finding the map folder in that backup, let us know.

My 'Home' and 'Favourites' icons are now grayed out. Any hints as to how I can get access to them again?
What has happened is that for some reason the files with this data have been erased. The instructions above from dhn tell you how to recover those files if they were backed up.

The Home and Favorites functions still work, they just do not have any data with which to work. If you are not able to recover your old files, you can create them again in the same way that you did originally. It's a bit of a pain in the neck, but at least you will have lost only some time and effort, and your GPS should still be fully functional.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

@-et-
Who? :confused: I'm back. :D

Thank you for your responses. I'm not very proficient technically (never even thought about backing up - or how to do it - getting smarter). My 'Home' and 'Favourites' icons grayed-out such that I couldn't get to their respective update screens. So, I thought I'd go to the Tom Tom map website and 'update' to see if that would fix it - but it didn't. Then I came to this site for 'help'. (72 years old and really need my TomTom.)

Well, this would be as good a time to back up your unit as any. It helps us put you back on track when any number of naughty things happen. We have a guide to this at the following link >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Again, to help understand what happened ... had you recently done any sort of update to your unit BEFORE this problem occurred?

If you have no previous backup, then there's not much we can do about retrieving what is lost. However, if you had a lot of favorites stored such that it would be a real pain to re-enter them all, it might be worth it for one of us to try to recover that file for you.

When you connect your XL to your computer, it will show up as though it was an external disk drive, much like a USB thumb drive or whatever they call them down under. From there, it is possible to open the device like a drive and inspect the contents. That's actually one of the early steps in the backup process we recommend, above.

Once you can see the content of your unit, if you look into a folder that should be called "Australia_NewZealand" or something along those lines, you will find a file called mapsettings.cfg. That would be the file that we would want to reconstruct, if need be, and if there's anything left of it.

My 'Home' and 'Favourites' icons grayed-out such that I couldn't get to their respective update screens ....

That's not actually where you update them... only where you use them

I'm guessing you're seeing them greyed out on the "Navigate to..." screen, and as Tom said, that's because you now don't have a Home Location set and no Favourites to navigate to.

If you haven't got a backup to return to, you can re enter your Home location in the "Change preferences" menu (on my XL it's on page 2 - "change Home location")

There are several methods you can use to enter all your Favourites again.

One is via the Change Preferences / Manage Favourites menu.

Another is to go to "Browse map", then use any method you can think of to centre the map on the location (such as the "Find" button and entering an address, or just dragging the map with your finger and zooming in). then you can use the "blue cursor" button at the bottom to "Add as Favourite".

Thank you so much!!!!! Very very clear easy instructions to perform a 'backup'. DONE.
Followed thread below re resetting 'Home' and 'Favourites' - and it worked. So excited!!!!!! Can't believe I did this - just a little old lady lawn bowler (with a lot of help from some very special technical people) .

Gotta watch out for those "little old lady lawn bowler" types. Never underestimate one!

Ask a Question