GPS models / makes which don't reset your zoom level while driving?

Since this is a non-TomTom forum, I figured this is the best place to ask this.

I am looking to get a GPS which doesn't zoom back in after you zoom out.

To clarify - TomToms seem to have 2 different types of auto-zoom:

1. Auto-Zoom-At-Turns: This is a good feature, where it zooms in when you approach a turn on your route.

2. Auto-Zoom-During-Straightaways: This is the feature I hate. Specifically, when I am driving along a freeway, and zoom out, after a few seconds, the TomTom zooms right back in again, to only about 1/2 mile range!

I understand that the TomToms which disable auto-zoom, disable BOTH type 2 (the awful one) and type 1 (the desirable one).

Before getting the TomTom, I was used to the Magellans in Hertz cars, which were smart. If you zoomed out, it would STAY there, until you reached a turn, where it zoomed in. You'd think they ALL would do this, right?

Sadly, no. I don't know if the consumer Magellans behave like the Hertz Magellans or if they behave like the TomToms.

Hence, I ask you guys. What GPS units do what I want? Which allow Auto-Zoom-At-Turns but doesn't Auto-Zoom during straightaways?

I think 'visual' takes a back seat compare to 'aural'. I think you over stress the importance of zoom. The only moment you need to look at the GPS is when the situation is tight and confusing, and that you need zoom, absolutely.
But to each his own.

As we mentioned earlier, the Tomtom GO models would allow autozoom to be disabled.

Try googling for forums similar to Tomtomforums.com, but for the other big GPS manufacturers. There should be experienced users in those forums who could identify models that suit your needs.

FWIW, my nuvi (760) allows me to overide the auto-zoom, holding whatever zoom setting I use until I get the the next navigation prompt (ie, turn, road change), where it will zoom in for the turn detail.

I think 'visual' takes a back seat compare to 'aural'. I think you over stress the importance of zoom. The only moment you need to look at the GPS is when the situation is tight and confusing, and that you need zoom, absolutely.
But to each his own.
Except for those who are hearing impaired/deaf - then VISUAL is way more important than AURAL. The feature I miss most about my Garmin was the ability to select the zoom level and wish TomTom operated the same. Outside of this TomTom is superior to Garmin in my experience.

FWIW, my nuvi (760) allows me to overide the auto-zoom, holding whatever zoom setting I use until I get the the next navigation prompt (ie, turn, road change), where it will zoom in for the turn detail.

That would be an ideal "addition" to my XL340S Live unit. On some of the long haul type road trips, I would rather see where I am in the big picture. It would make it more interesting to me.

Sometimes just backing out 1 or 2 levels would be ideal, regardless of the trip.

A "Turn off/on autozoom" function in that little quick menu would also be a nice complement!

Ask a Question