GPS for truckers

My son is a new OTR trucker, his birthday is comming next month and I was thinking of getting him a GPS, any recommendations?? would need something that gives more data for truck drivers than for cars, like restricted roads, weigh station's etc.

I would actually love this but to my knoledge there is not a portable device that comes preloaded with this.I actuall use a GPS program for a laptop that gives you bridge clearance,weight limits and hazmat routes. It is a great software but like you I wish my tomtom done this. it is called "Co Pilot for profesionall drivers"

i drive a truck and i used a tomtom one (2nd gen) for almost a year. upgraded to a 720 and just love it.

u need to remember that a gps is just a tool, there is a learning curve to it. i don't consider it a replacement to the truckers atlas or any other map. i still use the 2 together. it's very handy at night or early morning when it's dark and u can't see the street signs very well, sometimes it will run u past the address or bring u up short. it doesn't know about weight restrictions or low overpasses (this is where u need to keep ur eyes open and pay attention)
it will let u review the route if u don't like it, recalculate and see what happens..remember that LEARNING CURVE...

pilots plan the flight and fly the plan. truck driving isn't much different in that respect. and if u frun outa fuel u get to pull over the the side of the road:)

i've also seen comments in the forums that it will give a much longer route than what u might take urself locally so the users complain and return it for a garmin that they claim will give the correct route. (they'll bitch about the garmin later too:))

#1. they're not spending any time on the learning curve.

#2. not matter who programs it and how...it's still a machine and will have a machines logic. (tomtom's are little linux computers)

#3. go back and read #1 again.

remember...don't forget the LEARNING CURVE...:)

i drive a truck and i used a tomtom one (2nd gen) for almost a year. upgraded to a 720 and just love it.

u need to remember that a gps is just a tool, there is a learning curve to it. i don't consider it a replacement to the truckers atlas or any other map. i still use the 2 together. it's very handy at night or early morning when it's dark and u can't see the street signs very well, sometimes it will run u past the address or bring u up short. it doesn't know about weight restrictions or low overpasses (this is where u need to keep ur eyes open and pay attention)
it will let u review the route if u don't like it, recalculate and see what happens..remember that LEARNING CURVE...

pilots plan the flight and fly the plan. truck driving isn't much different in that respect. and if u frun outa fuel u get to pull over the the side of the road:)

i've also seen comments in the forums that it will give a much longer route than what u might take urself locally so the users complain and return it for a garmin that they claim will give the correct route. (they'll bitch about the garmin later too:))

#1. they're not spending any time on the learning curve.

#2. not matter who programs it and how...it's still a machine and will have a machines logic. (tomtom's are little linux computers)

#3. go back and read #1 again.

remember...don't forget the LEARNING CURVE...:)

I would actually love this but to my knoledge there is not a portable device that comes preloaded with this.I actuall use a GPS program for a laptop that gives you bridge clearance,weight limits and hazmat routes. It is a great software but like you I wish my tomtom done this. it is called "Co Pilot for profesionall drivers"

Thanks, he carried my GO 700 with him this last trip but the way Schneider National has booked his last few trips he hasn't had much use for a gps. he has sat at truck stop for the past 4 days waiting to get a decent run, he's finally headed out to penscola today, 450 mile run, looks like he is going to be
looking for another company to drive for. I'll pass the driving curve on to him
thanks for the reply.
Denny

I'll look into the Co Pilot, he has my old laptop and GO700 with him, the co pilot has what he's looking for but like you said it's not portable, thanks for the reply
Denny

I'll look into the Co Pilot, he has my old laptop and GO700 with him, the co pilot has what he's looking for but like you said it's not portable, thanks for the reply
Denny

Used the ALK product for years. Always thought CoPilot was the cats ass.......till I got my 1st TomTom software for my 1st PPC. It's [CoPilot] extremly overpriced and quite frankly,horrible maps.

You can purchase a PPC $300-$500 and load CoPilot for $199.00 [not good]

I've done both and i'm 100% satisfied with my final solution: the 720

For scales,fuel,repair,dealerships,rest-areas.....ect, are all available via POI's

As mentioned above, pre-trip planning is the key to success. Was very impressed by the comments left [above] by a fellow driver above.

Deffinatly!!!!!! purchase a TomTom for your Son. There's enuff of us around that can lend him a hand at equipping his device with *all the driver tools he'll ever need.

*excluding the basic fundamentals "in the art of steering wheel holding"

BTW: doing the Pumkin ain't a bad way to start in this business. Decent equipment and good training. Once he's done a year or better, he'll have NO problem signing up with much better paying carriers. We've all sat and waited for dispatch to get us rolling.....just the nature of the Biz.

Last edited:
Used the ALK product for years. Always thought CoPilot was the cats ass.......till I got my 1st TomTom software for my 1st PPC. It's [CoPilot] extremly overpriced and quite frankly,horrible maps.

You can purchase a PPC $300-$500 and load CoPilot for $199.00 [not good]

I've done both and i'm 100% satisfied with my final solution: the 720

For scales,fuel,repair,dealerships,rest-areas.....ect, are all available via POI's

As mentioned above, pre-trip planning is the key to success. Was very impressed by the comments left [above] by a fellow driver above.

Deffinatly!!!!!! purchase a TomTom for your Son. There's enuff of us around that can lend him a hand at equipping his device with *all the driver tools he'll ever need.

*excluding the basic fundamentals "in the art of steering wheel holding"

BTW: doing the Pumkin ain't a bad way to start in this business. Decent equipment and good training. Once he's done a year or better, he'll have NO problem signing up with much better paying carriers. We've all sat and waited for dispatch to get us rolling.....just the nature of the Biz.
I'll pass the info on to him, thanks for the reply

"BTW: doing the Pumkin ain't a bad way to start in this business. Decent equipment and good training. Once he's done a year or better, he'll have NO problem signing up with much better paying carriers. We've all sat and waited for dispatch to get us rolling.....just the nature of the Biz. "

i don't know about pumpkin...but yes...he needs to get experience somewhere. i almost didn't survive my first few year otr driving. i really enjoyed the first yer, but they beat that outa me quick:)).

driving a truck ain't all that bad, u get to sit on ur ass all day and watch the world roll by....

besides. things are alittle slow now, and he might have p.o.ed his dispatcher and he's gettin left to sit for awhile.. it's been said that u can always tell when ur dispatcher is lyin....cause u can hear him/her talkin. they have alot in common with ur typical politician:)

Just keep in mind also, the company is gonna provide there own route and if the tomtom goes another way your dispatcher is not gonna to happy with you. I have a tomtom a garmin the copilot and delorme on the laptop and I use the gps on my blackberry more and also more accurate IMO more than any of the above.

Also chillycat could you point me toward those poi's particularly scales and clearance if you have links to them.I havent been able to find anything other then a couple here and there.

Last edited:
Hi Denny,
Google Lowrance iway 600c and then browse around their website for Peterbilt iWAY? 600C GPS.
There is a Quick Start and a Manual you can download and look into.
Also you might want to check with their Technical staff and see what Truck POI's are available for this unit.
Good luck.:)

could you point me toward those poi's particularly scales and clearance if you have links to them.I havent been able to find anything other then a couple here and there.

I use http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles quite abit, and also make my own.

I've included a link to my master POI "truckers" file that's all set to simply un-rar and drag contents into your map folder. You can open and view contents
and delete ones you don't need.

file below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/88059641/Truckers_POI.rar.html

Trucker GPS problem!!!!!

I saw a newscast that stated that GPS used for truckers may become illegal. The reason is that when used by big rigs, the GPS may route a large truck down a road that has a low bridge. They are researching the possibility of providing a GPS that would restrict routes that have low bridges, etc.

I found this conversation a few months ago while searching for a truckers TomTom. I have a tomtom in my car and it does pretty well so naturally I wanted to see if there was one for my semi-truck, no luck.

I have heard great things about the Rand McNally GPS for truckers. I went to pick one up from Pilot but they were sold out and wouldn't have more for 3 months. I found them online at the Online Truck Stop - 12volt-travel.com for a few bucks less and had it shipped straight to my house.

The Online Truck Stop has a great lineup of GPS for Truckers including the 5" & 7"HD Rand McNally.

My new GPS has served me well so far with absolutely ZERO problems. Get your GPS for Truckers Here.

DO NOT BUY ANY TELETYPE (WORLDNAV) GPS!!! You will be sorry!

Ask a Question