Got RDS/TMC?

Garden State parkway - Update

Here's a twist. Last night before heading home I checked the traffic on the Parkway ONLINE and saw that the Parkway had major traffic on my route. This was about an hour prior to leaving work. When I left work, I plugged in my receiver and MANUALLy tuned the station to 103.5 instead of letting the station be picked up automatically. The unit immediately picked up a signal and changed my route to avoid the Parkway. I said to myself, wow this must be working now. Out of pure curiousity, I took the Parkway in spite of the rerouting and the traffic was flowing like never before!!! (65 mph for my entire route). This seems to be an issue with how often the updates come in and maybe has something to do with which station is selected...??? It did warn me this time but the traffic was long gone by the time I left work (1 hour later). During the route, I once again manually changed the station that the receiver uses and it updated the route and showed accurate congestion a few miles ahead which was right on target.

NY/NJ Update

As mentioned earlier it seems the NY traffic information is more accurate and upto date then the NJ traffic information...

On my trip home yesterday TT reported a 3 minute delay, and then a few minutes later and 59 minute delay on the same road...I re-routed through Staten-Island (aka the Rock) which had it's own delays...but the traffic seem to be more accurate for NY....

I've had no problems getting tuned in to a station. The other day they were putting up the I-5 bridge where it crosses the Columbia River and it routed me around it using another highway. I've been checking it during rush hour and there are places that are always stop and go during rush hour that have never come up as being trouble spots. As others have said, it would be interesting to know what it takes to for Clear Channel to add something to the map and why some obvious slow stretches are never shown. TomTom's implementation of traffic gets an A while the Total Traffic Network get's a B-. This is based on only a few days of use though so we'll see how it goes.

TMC Traffic

Bought mine from TomTom's website. Used it for the past two days. Yesterday it wanted me to change route due to congestion on I680 (near San Francisco). Decided to see what the congestion was. I was going north, the congestion was south. My 510 worked fine, the data was wrong.

RDS/TMC Experiences in Atlanta

I bought my cable from a vendor on Amazon.com, as they seem to be the only one with any stock.

Currently, I am working with Tom Tom technical support to determine if the antenna bought from this vendor is for U.S. or not. Apparently there is a European version that will not work in the U.S.

Using my Tom Tom One Third Edition, I am able to connect to two different FM stations in Atlanta. Yet, I am unable to receive any traffic information. In addition, 2 menu items are grayed out; "Minimize traffic delays" and "Show traffic on route". I never see the traffic bar, just the green light indicating a connected traffic signal.Will call support with information provided from vendor box and keep you posted.

Also, thank God for Sun roofs!
I live 40 miles from the center of Atlanta and the only way that I could get a signal consistently was to manipulate the antenna to terminate it to my sun roof. Possible issue with tinting.

I thought about getting an antenna and checking out the traffic service, but when I looked at the RDS coverage map from ClearChannel, I noticed that this state capital is among the (rather large, imho) areas of the United States not covered by this service.

Could you please provide a link to this coverage map?

Ask a Question