Got RDS/TMC?

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by tomtom2338, Sep 18, 2007.

1. tomtom2338

tomtom2338

TomTom Model(s):
    Tomtom one XL
    So, since Tomtom has finally made the reciever available here in the Us, and you can finally drop $130.00 on Amazon for the thing- I was to hear from some tomtom community members what their experience has been with it. Does anyone have it yet?
    I know someone out there purchased an attenna from Europe and found that it probably didn't work here in the US, but this one is made for the US so hopefully someone can provide some feedback!
    Thanks

tomtom2338, Sep 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tomtom2338

briand

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 510
    I thought about getting an antenna and checking out the traffic service, but when I looked at the RDS coverage map from ClearChannel, I noticed that this state capital is among the (rather large, imho) areas of the United States not covered by this service.

We've got a couple dozen radio stations in this city, and at least a handful of them are ClearChannel owned/operated stations! Anyways... this is not a fault of TomTom, it is a fault of ClearChannel. :(

Chicago seems to be on the map, tho... if my geography skills are up to par. :)

briand, Sep 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. tomtom2338

tomtom2338

TomTom Model(s):
    Tomtom one XL
    so no one has gotten the RDS/TMC from amazon in the USA? If anyone has it, please post some information about its performance.
    Thanks-

tomtom2338, Sep 20, 2007
  4. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    Does anyone know if any retailers are selling in stores (particularly in the north east - NJ)?

berkisho, Sep 20, 2007
  5. tomtom2338

badboy38

North Jersey

I've been searching everywhere from tomtom.com to Best Buy (where I bought my 720) to no avail. I tried TomTom's website since it shows there as being available but had a disastrous experience trying to order via their site (charged me 12 times ($1600) when transaction would not go through!!!). I just took a shot in the dark and tried 6th Avenue Electronics on Route 46 in West Paterson and they had one on the shelf!! I thought that this might be the older receiver at first but it lists the Go 720 as a compatible device on the packaging. So far no issues but I've had it for every bit of 1 hour. I'll try it on the way home on the Garden State Parkway which always seems to have some sort of traffic incident or delay. The radio fix seemed slow at first but then I read in the instructions that the receiver should be plugged in prior to turning on the 720. Once I did that it found a station in about 30 seconds or so. Not bad!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
    badboy38, Sep 20, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  6. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):

Thanks for the news...

I'll check 6th Ave and others - can you post the SKU or UPC to ensure we are purchasing the new unit as opposed to the old one?

Thanks again...

berkisho, Sep 20, 2007
  7. tomtom2338

tomtom2338

TomTom Model(s):
    Tomtom one XL
    Amazon has it. No reviews yet though.

tomtom2338, Sep 21, 2007
  8. tomtom2338

steve.pinn@pinncorp.org

Bought mine from Mobile-Planet, paid an extra $22 for second day air, arrived yesterday (I was so excited), Plugged it in - it broke! Worked for about 2 minutes then died, now i need to spend another $20 to send it back to TomTom :(

Very sad

steve.pinn@pinncorp.org, Sep 21, 2007
  9. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    That's why I want to get it retail instead of etail :)

berkisho, Sep 21, 2007
  10. tomtom2338

badboy38

Feedback on RDS-TMC receiver - Day one

I used my receiver on the way home last night and didn't experience any major issues. I got a connection within a minute or less and it held pretty consistently. The signal did go out once or twice but a fix was reestablished pretty quickly. Keep in mind that losing the signal is always a possibility based on environmental factors.

I did receive quite a few traffic updates but none that directly affected my route. My only knock is that my route was very congested and felt that heavy congestion should be shown as a "delay" on the route screen. The congestion does show up on the "Show traffic" screen however but not the main route screen as a delay.

I assume that congestion is not reported in the same manner as "incidents" such as accidents, construction etc...

Overall, not bad.

badboy38, Sep 21, 2007
  11. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    Feedback Day 1 and 2

I purchased the RDS/TMC receiver for my GO910...

I am not overly impressed yet :mad:

I live in Middlesex County, NJ (less then 40 miles from NYC) and find the reception to be spotty at best - I rarely get a lock on a signal in my driveway (which is not obstructed by trees or mountains, etc.). I find I really don't get a solid signal unless I am on the NJ Turnpike or Garden State Parkway...

When I do get a signal lock, the traffic is as "reliable" as ever :D

I will see how well it works for my commute to/from work in Jersey City, NJ...

berkisho, Sep 24, 2007
  12. tomtom2338

Pedro2NR

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
    Thanks for the update.
    Keep us posted.

Pedro2NR, Sep 24, 2007
  13. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    ...the ride home...

The antenna seemed to work much better on the ride home from Jersey City, NJ to East Brunswick, NJ...as I approached Exit 11 on the NJ Turnpike (heading south) reception started to diminish and became spotty once again as I exitted at exit 9 on the NJ Turnpike...

Other then that it seems to be working well.

berkisho, Sep 25, 2007
  14. tomtom2338

badboy38

North Jersey traffic

I'm in Northern Nj also and agree with you. The Garden State Parkway is almost always congested with traffic yet the traffic updates don't seem to give info on the Parkway that's very useful. I travel through the Middlesex County area very often (Piscataway) and the signal in that area goes in and out. On the other hand, I took a trip from NJ to Long Island NY yesterday and the traffic updates were plentiful while on NYC highways and bridges. I was able to successfully avoid several major delays thanks to the updates. I think that the NJ reports are lacking but that's not a "receiver" issue. It seems that there has to be construction or somehing pretty major for Parkway traffic to appear on the unit.

Since the Parkway and Turnpike are such major routes and in such close proximity to NYC I can't understand why the updates for NJ seem to be weak.

badboy38, Sep 25, 2007
  15. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    Probably because NJ101.5 is not a clear channel radio station :)

berkisho, Sep 25, 2007
  16. tomtom2338

Bontrager

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE V2/4?
    I would think the traffic reports/incidents would work the same as with the garmin units that use TMC. Most of those users report that the traffic reports are slow at best. And it doesn't work when you're approaching a city - only when you're there already sometimes sitting in the traffic.

Some of the newer Garmin units get traffic/info from a new MSN Direct receiver which also works good in some places, bad in others as far as traffic goes.

Bontrager, Sep 25, 2007
  17. tomtom2338

GAW

TomTom Model(s):
    traffic congestion

Is it possible the Garden State has not been wired with traffic sensors. Here in California urban areas, the incidents are reported through accident reports, but congestion is picked up by the in-road sensors. If the Parkway has been set up, possibly the local station is not participating.

Using TT traffic through the bluetooth connection and on TT home, I can see the congestion as on the television traffic - slow moving red indicators along sections of the freeways (plus it gives the estimated delay - probably computed automatically).

Are you seeing the same info and format on the receiver (ie - graphically idisplayed slow traffic in red over a length of the route), or is the congestion graphics as in the above not working at all?

GAW, Sep 25, 2007
  18. tomtom2338

badboy38

traffic on Garden State Parkway

Well, thusfar when sitting in traffic that's been flowing as slow as 5-10mph the traffic receiver did not report anything in terms of congestion on the route (Parkway in NJ). I sat in the traffic for at least 30 minutes but never received a report. This happened twice. On one other occasion, there was no traffic report indicated on the "main" screen of my 720 but when I selected "Show traffic" there was an icon showing "multiple cars" which I assume means congestion. There was no prompt to reroute or any indication on the main screen or no icons shown on the traffic bar on the main screen however. Had I not selected "Show traffic" I would have never seen it.

badboy38, Sep 25, 2007
  19. tomtom2338

GAW

TomTom Model(s):
    Does not sound good - this is why I am holding off getting the receiver. On the bluetooth version, the congestion appears as an indicator on the traffic bar as well as incidents - plus the total estimated delay shows also. Your 30 minutes on the parkway would have shown up just that way on the Bluetooth system. Again - unless the Parkway is not wired. However, you did get some indication on the "show traffic" menu item.

If this is the way congested traffic is set up with the receiver service, I may just stay with the bluetooth system. It has helped me avoid some major backups that were not caused by an incident.

Really disappointing, as 3 years ago in Germany, a receiver based traffic/GPS system in a rented car saved me from some several hour delays. You could also see the length of the delay along the route as I described earlier.

GAW, Sep 25, 2007
  20. tomtom2338

berkisho

TomTom Model(s):
    Traffic indicaters seem to work the same via Bluetooth and RDS however their seems to be more (NJ) traffic via bluetooth then via RDS :(

berkisho, Sep 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question