Got Navcore 7 for my one...

so for the rest of us still waiting, when the time comes, is it worth the upgrade or should we hold back for another version.

This is very strange, i thought I would load Navcore 7 on the internal flash and see how that works versus the SD card. Well it seemed to run just fine, got a sat lock pretty quick and the help icon was there. So I thought I would try again on the SD card, so I erased everything on the card and restored the with the same image as the flash w/o N7. The unit operated fine so I upgraded to N7. Now for some reason neither internal or flash card have the help me icon???? Any ideas on what I might have screwed up? Seems like it should be pretty straight forward.

so for the rest of us still waiting, when the time comes, is it worth the upgrade or should we hold back for another version.
If you depend upon Tripmaster and other 3rd party apps (there is a workaround for TM) the NAVCORE7 features may not be worth the loss of those apps.

In my case, the NAVCORE7 upgrade was a big improvement over v6.xx:

1) Display of the current road name. (absurd omission in 6.xx)
2) Ability to add current location as Favorite more easily on the fly, while driving.
3 Map fonts look better, big improvement there.
4) speed alarm very helpful.

I just completed a 625 mile trip with Navcore7. Verdict: excellent*.

The current location (the name of the road you are driving on) alone is worth it, in my opinion.

* needs some of the HELP menus fixed, and MapShare for older units/maps without having to pay for an upgraded map. IMHO.

I got the North America V2 with the sticker on the box that says "No SD card required". There's 1 gig of RAM in the unit plus a SD card slot. The serial # begins with a Z.

When I installed the Home software from the CD (V 1.0 i think) it said 1.5 was available so it downloaded it and installed it (v1_5_106_win.exe) using the home program. Then a little while later Home said 2.0 was available so I updated it to that (v2_0_0_370_win.exe). My navcore was updated to navcore_7.12.8459.navcore7.cab

I'm doing a backup now - which just looks like it does a straight copy from the internal memory.

I got the North America V2 with the sticker on the box that says "No SD card required". There's 1 gig of RAM in the unit plus a SD card slot. The serial # begins with a Z.

Are you sure it is North America? I thought all V2 One's shipped with USA and Canada maps since the internal memory is 1GB and NA maps are 1.4GB I think. Did TT make a watered down version for the One?

Are you sure it is North America? I thought all V2 One's shipped with USA and Canada maps since the internal memory is 1GB and NA maps are 1.4GB I think. Did TT make a watered down version for the One?

I think he meant he has a US version not a Euro TT ONE. (i.e. not the maps.. just the fact that he bought it in the US).

If you depend upon Tripmaster and other 3rd party apps (there is a workaround for TM) the NAVCORE7 features may not be worth the loss of those apps.

In my case, the NAVCORE7 upgrade was a big improvement over v6.xx:

1) Display of the current road name. (absurd omission in 6.xx)
2) Ability to add current location as Favorite more easily on the fly, while driving.
3 Map fonts look better, big improvement there.
4) speed alarm very helpful.

I just completed a 625 mile trip with Navcore7. Verdict: excellent*.

The current location (the name of the road you are driving on) alone is worth it, in my opinion.

* needs some of the HELP menus fixed, and MapShare for older units/maps without having to pay for an upgraded map. IMHO.

I don't depend on them but I do like those apps (esp. the games on NanoX). Suntime is nice too.. I'm not used to changing my maps from day to night (or vice versa) manually.

Well I have been playing around with Navcore 7 a bit more and I do have to admit tehy did add some nice features. Here is a list of what I like so far:
1) I particularly like the ability to put the status bar on the side giving me more range ahead of you in the map.
2) The zoom level of the map also seems to give you just a little bit more info.
3) I like the way they display current street, next street and exit info, just seems more intuitive to me.
4) When browsing a map and looking for POI's you can select one then you are given a chance to navigate to it or you can go back if you picked the wrong one. You can also scroll through them if you wish.
5) Under the help me, they have a Walk to section, I can see using this to get walking directions to train stations in the city.
6) In the help me screen I like the Where am I? I think this is particularly useful for someone who might have an accident or get stranded and need help.

What I think needs improvement are:
1) Help me functions need to be fully functional. Things like the first aid guide would be useful and being able to find a local doctor or dentist should be supported.
2) TT should consider giving free updates or at teh very least a very good deal on updates to North American maps to make Mapshare functional and improve on the database info.
3) I really wish thrid party apps would be functional without lose of other features in Navcore. Since this update is rolling out to everyone I still ahve hope that a real fix will be found.

Can anyone use the "Country Switcher" on their One? I don't think it's available, but in TomTom site they state as being part of Navcore 7...

Not sure where I would find it to try but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe this is only functional for European maps?

Found another ccool feature on Navcore 7 but it seemed a little bugggy. Under preference, the screen brightness there is another menu that is a power save feature. So it will turn the display on and off to conserve battery. I found it too close to home to really test it out but there was one definate problem. I had the night setting on, it gave me directions then shut off. Well when it came back on to tell me about the next turn it was set to day brightness. Maybe there is something else I neede to set or tweak....but this could be useful on long trips.

I think if you go into preferences, safety features...there is something about leeway time. If you check that it will ask arrival time. But if you keep saying there isn't an arrival time it will ask you if you want to keep being asked....

I think this is a bug on Navcore 7... in my One the same thing happens. And it does the same when I turn it off and on back on. Brightness goes to 100%.
:confused:

Found another ccool feature on Navcore 7 but it seemed a little bugggy. Under preference, the screen brightness there is another menu that is a power save feature. So it will turn the display on and off to conserve battery. I found it too close to home to really test it out but there was one definate problem. I had the night setting on, it gave me directions then shut off. Well when it came back on to tell me about the next turn it was set to day brightness. Maybe there is something else I neede to set or tweak....but this could be useful on long trips.

I think this is a bug on Navcore 7... in my One the same thing happens. And it does the same when I turn it off and on back on. Brightness goes to 100%.
:confused:

TomTom Customer Support sent me an email regarding "The Brightness Bug" that I reported to them last week. Basically, they asked me to try running the CLEAR FLASH application (available on their website) and if that didn't work, to try deleting and reinstalling the TomTom application.

Since there is a distinct possibility that I would have to ENTER PRODUCT CODE to reauthorize the map(s) after running clearflash app., and since I'm 600+ miles from home and would have no idea what the product code is until I get home, I'm not going rish killing my TomTom's primary function - Navigation - until I get back next week. Ditto for the delete/reinstall procedure.

Those of you who are experiencing the Brightness Bug with your product code's in hand might try running clearflash or reinstalling the app. (just the app, not the whole package of voices, maps, etc.) and get back to us as to whether or not this fixes the "bug".

Another possible bug, unrelated: I can't seem to get the MAX speed to display next to the current speed in the status bar, no matter what i try. Anybody else?

Thanks, and drive safely!

TomTom Customer Support sent me an email regarding "The Brightness Bug" that I reported to them last week. Basically, they asked me to try running the CLEAR FLASH application (available on their website) and if that didn't work, to try deleting and reinstalling the TomTom application.

Since there is a distinct possibility that I would have to ENTER PRODUCT CODE to reauthorize the map(s) after running clearflash app., and since I'm 600+ miles from home and would have no idea what the product code is until I get home, I'm not going rish killing my TomTom's primary function - Navigation - until I get back next week. Ditto for the delete/reinstall procedure.

Those of you who are experiencing the Brightness Bug with your product code's in hand might try running clearflash or reinstalling the app. (just the app, not the whole package of voices, maps, etc.) and get back to us as to whether or not this fixes the "bug".

Another possible bug, unrelated: I can't seem to get the MAX speed to display next to the current speed in the status bar, no matter what i try. Anybody else?

Hmm... I could be wrong here, but that CSR's recommendation sounds like a generic one-size-fits-all load of bunk. Clearing the flash should not have any bearing on the functionality of the brightness setting upon the device powering up under Navcore 7 any more than it did under Navcore 6. It's a programming error, plain and simple. TomTom will need to release a patch for the OS to fix the problem more than likely.

I agree with othersteve, and this answer from TomTom seems kind of a "generic" suggestion... still it's better than what they answered me. They just sent me the previous Navcore version to restore, and it was the wrong version (they sent me 6.52, not 6.56...). Either way, I might try it on my One and post back.

As for the Max speed thing, I've been able to user it with this version. But it's not available on most roads, just some highways (at least here in Portugal).

I've also noticed that the brightness thing is not exactly (in my case at least) as described. It seems to me that the setting is changed when I press power down and the One display the suspend image. At that very moment brightness is already 100%! This is easily noticed if you're shutting down in night mode.
So I believe the actual problem lies in the shutdown process (when the brightness settings changes) and not in the startup.

Ask a Question