Got Navcore 7 for my one...

Based on this page on TT site the help screen should be there: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=5327&Lid=1&selector=true
Honestly I am not all that impressed with this "upgrade." Getting a signal takes forever now and it also seems weaker indoors than it did before. I have even had some signal issues in the car that never happened before. Maybe it was just a fluke but it does concern me. The other stuff it added I don't find as useful or fun to have as the third party apps. Quite honestly if I can't get those to work I'll likely go back since the tweaking factor is why I got the TT. I think this might be worth it if TT offers free map upgrades for the mapshare portion since the maps in my area are horrible. I just hope they come to their senses and enable teh other features they stripped out of the mapshare system.

Wow signal is taking forever.
I believe it has to do with the firmwire script.
The Navcore 7 script may be useful for the hammerhead chipset while it is not great for the SirFIII chipset. In result means it takes longer to get a GPS signal.

Navcore7's time to lock in sats is mixed with the Hammerhead: after the first initial download of the QuickGPSfix file, it locks into the satelites in under ten seconds. Then after the unit is powered down and back on again, it takes a LONG TIME - like it would without the quickfix file. Feels like a bug.

More about the Navcore7 upgrade:

I had Tripmaster installed prior to the upgrade, but never attempted to run it. After reading that it was basically trashed after the 7.12 install, I deleted the SDKregistry, SKINS and Tripmaster folders(directories) to get rid of it.

After that, the TWO GUIDED TOUR icons went back to a single icon, and the HELP icon appeared (as if by wizardry) on the main menu.

Hope that helps someone out there.

OK...uninstalled all thrid party apps and sure enough the Help me icon is there and only one Guided tour icon. Several of the features under Help Me are grayed out though. Under Phone for Help; Home, doctorvet and dentist are grayed out. Under Drive to help; Doctor and dentist are grayed out. Under walk to help; doctor is grayed out. First aid guide has no info...same for other guides icon. Is this the same for everyone else?

I tried loading the apps back on but the Help me icon does disappear....I will mess around and see if I can find any apps that will work and not kill other Navcore 7 features. Unless TT offers mapshare for free I think I will stick with the old firmware, it just doesn't add more than I am losing.

Well I tried all of the following independently and none of them will install and allow you to keep the Help Icon.
Blackout, calculator, flashlight, fule control, Offroad, Reverse ITN, Suntime and Tripmaster.
As a side note, even with everything uninstalled it still takes for ever to find your location. After turning it back on it too over 2 min 30 sec and afterwards it indicates it can see 8 sats. WTF?

Restored to older firmware and now the unit locks in on position within 15 seconds and I don't know if it has the latest quick fix. I really hope TT works out the bugs in Navcore 7, until then or when someone else figures it out I will stick with the old version.

I have noticed longer times as well...around 1:30 or so. I can live with it just because the navigation (typing in addresses and scrolling) is so much nicer. oh and it yells at me when i get over 80...so it saves me tickets!

I have the TomTom V4 I just got from Staples it take about 25- 35seconds to lock on indoors. When I did the upgrades there was a new quick fix update today it did one yesterday too.

I have noticed longer times as well...around 1:30 or so. I can live with it just because the navigation (typing in addresses and scrolling) is so much nicer. oh and it yells at me when i get over 80...so it saves me tickets!

Yeah but I already had this with tripmaster on the old software....and I had a calculator, offroad capability etc, etc. I think some of the Navcore 7 stuff is good but still seems a bit buggy. Doesn't make sense that things in the help me like find closest doctor doesn't work and the first aid info is nonexistant. If they get all that working I might be able to live with losing some of my current add on features.

Yeah but I already had that with Tripmaster...I also had offroad capabilities, calculator, games etc etc. So until they fix some of the bugs or at the very least make everything fully functional it isn't a worthy upgrade for me. For instance I think it is crazy to add a help icon to find the closest doctor but not have it ativated or have a first aid icon with no info. If they get that working I may give it a shot.

If you search for the Rider2 Fix for Tripmaster on the forums here you can get most of those programs working with navcore 7

I was able to get tripmaster to work but not offroad, suntime, calculator etc. And you can no longer input new values into them since the virtual keyboard doesn't work. I am sure it is just a matter of time until soemone figures it out but until then I don't see that Navcore adds anything I didn't have before, in fact I have less functionality.

Yeah but I already had that with Tripmaster...I also had offroad capabilities, calculator, games etc etc. So until they fix some of the bugs or at the very least make everything fully functional it isn't a worthy upgrade for me. For instance I think it is crazy to add a help icon to find the closest doctor but not have it ativated or have a first aid icon with no info. If they get that working I may give it a shot.

You can't find the closest doctor unless you have the North_American map which has doctors as a POI category. That might be a reason.

Interestingly, my dad has noticed that it's taken a LOT longer for him to get a satellite fix these past few days... he has a Garmin C330. Is it possible that the longer satellite fix problems might have nothing to do with the firmware upgrade?

I'm disappointed to hear that the help icon doesn't work with 3rd party programs, I absolutely love suntime (and to be totally honest, TomTom should have a feature like that BUILT IN like Garmin does...) and don't want to sacrifice using it to get a non-functional help feature. It'd be worth it if the feature actually worked, but right now I see no reason to dump suntime to use it.

I really hope TomTom doesn't end up making us pay an arm and a leg for maps that will work with Mapshare. If nothing else, they should allow past TomTom users to get the 6.75 versions free of charge and then maybe offer the newest version (7.something) at a discount???

GPS satellites, unlike TV ones, move around quite a bit.
If your dad hasn't used his GPS for a few days, it might take a little longer to acquire satellites.
Beside the C330 has an older, low sensitivity chipset.

GPS satellites, unlike TV ones, move around quite a bit.
If your dad hasn't used his GPS for a few days, it might take a little longer to acquire satellites.
Beside the C330 has an older, low sensitivity chipset.

True on both points, I guess I only bring it up because I know he had used it on Thursday and then commented about the length of time it took to get a fix on Friday.

Has anyone with the older version of firmware had any issues with getting a lock?

I switched back to the old firmware and have a lock right after the splash screen or within maybe 10 seconds. So it definately seems to be tied to Navcore 7.

Nextourer...makes sense but are the doctors and dentists in the TT POI or are they seperate? Just wondering if we could build our own and have the TT recognize it for the help me feature???

SMC...obviously this is just speculation on my part, but I can't see why TT would upgrade all these units and not give the maps for free or at some sort of deal. Mapshare is only as good as the database we as users build, the more users they have the quicker they will have more accurate maps. So I would imagine they will offer some deal just to get more users/data since really maps are teh biggest complaint on TomTom's.

They're built in. I believe Vets, Company, and Shops are in there too.

I have no problem getting lock without quickGPSfix. I just turned on my TT and it got satellite lock with a few seconds. My last quickGPSfix update was a few days ago (Fri? Thurs?). I'm running v6.52.

Ask a Question