google placemarks

TomTom Model(s)
one 3rd edition
Newbie here.

I have been trying to get some points off of google earth/maps ie. placemarks onto my tomtom one130. Not having any luck when using converting software and then dragging and dropping in the correct folder. All my points are showing up as just one POI. Mind you, these placemarks are out in the middle of nowhere(more or less) and are just for me to find points at which to turn from one dirt road to another.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Here's one way to do it which involves an intermediate step:

In Google Earth --
Placemark each of your places. Save each placemark individually onto your computer by hitting File/Save/Save Place as/ (Save as type: .kml) and the name of each of your placemarks.

In the 3rd-party free, excellent computer program TYRE --
Open/Choose Google Earth .kml as the file-type, then import each of your saved placemarks from Google Earth into TYRE. You can create a route, create POI’s, etc and when done with your placemarks, save (export) them into your TomTom.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Alfie!

I did that and it worked.

I now have the dilema of some of the POIs when selected give me a "no usable locations near cursor" . Is this due to their remoteness?

Thanks Alfie!

I did that and it worked.

I now have the dilema of some of the POIs when selected give me a "no usable locations near cursor" . Is this due to their remoteness?

You're welcome!

Most likely the TomTom is trying to snap to a nearby road, so if you are on a very SMALL road, it perhaps won't have it on the map. Having said that, I have experienced my route attempting to take me down a section line (smile). I've also found that there ARE many gravel roads on the map. So it all depends . . . I seem to remember that some units had the option of NOT snapping to road, but can't remember and details.

Ask a Question