google maps response to errors

So I'm checking google maps a couple of days ago to see if my local coverage has improved and I notice that there is a ton more detail and all the roads than went missing when google dropped Navteq are now showing up, even better. I notice though, that in the map view one road is showing going into a lake, a couple are misnamed etc. I notice google has a "report a problem" link so I click on it, it asks me to put a pointer where the problem is and describe it, so I do.

Today, two days later I get this email:

Hi Glen,

Your Google Maps problem report has been reviewed, and you were right! We'll update the map soon and email you when you can see the change.

Report history
Problem ID: 92D6-92B3-A58F-18D6

Your report: map view shows road going into lake.
--
Thanks for your help,
The Google Maps team

Wow, when I think about all the times I put errors into Teleatlas like this and heard back nada (other than an aknowledgement) I am impressed!

I am wondering now, that google does their own maps rather than use TeleAtlas, how close the two will be now, for awhile I was using a 3rd party app (whose name escapes me at the moment) that allowed me to draw a trip/intinerary on google maps and upload it to my 720 as an itinerary. Using it at the time was hopeless though for this area, but now that both TeleAtlas and Google both have updated maps for my area I can see me using it again.

In September I reported to Google (still using Tele Atlas maps at that time) that the the railroad underpass connecting Simcoe St. with Lower Simcoe St in downtown Toronto had been opened 2 months before.
I was rather pleased when I got a reply the next day. Like you with a reference number.
I haven't heard anything since.

I reported that road opening to Tele Atlas directly in December and they replied end of March that this change will be included in their next map update, which should be the impending 850.

Upon your post I checked Google maps and see that they are now using their own in Toronto and the change is not included.

Let's see who'll be moving off their back sides first but
ah ain't holding ma breath.

Since getting my Motorola Droid in November, I have reported almost 100 map errors to Google, and have gotten a similar response to each report. I think the close proximity of their dropping TeleAtlas and their introduction of Google Maps Navigation on the Droid resulted in an overwhelming number of problem reports.

Quite often they'll send an initial follow-up telling me that I'm right.

At least twice they have followed-up to say that the corrections are complete, with a link to see the corrections, but the corrections had not been made.

Despite this, I have much more confidence in Google than I do in TomTom that the corrections I ener will be properly addressed.

I guess I was a little to optimistic by the sounds of it.. but it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to correct it. I've also sent in corrections to Navteq for the area regarding wrong street names etc. so I'll see how long they take too..

I do have to say the recent improvements in googles maps for this area is something else though, and I'l really surprised at how much coverage the street view has now in Alberta, considering not long ago there was zilch for the norhern part of the province.

Google Maps still use Tele Atlas in the UK. I have reported to Tele Atlas recently and got updates, it seems they are taking things more seriously now.

In September I reported to Google (still using Tele Atlas maps at that time) that the the railroad underpass connecting Simcoe St. with Lower Simcoe St in downtown Toronto had been opened 2 months before.
I was rather pleased when I got a reply the next day. Like you with a reference number.
I haven't heard anything since.

I reported that road opening to Tele Atlas directly in December and they replied end of March that this change will be included in their next map update, which should be the impending 850.

Upon your post I checked Google maps and see that they are now using their own in Toronto and the change is not included.

Let's see who'll be moving off their back sides first but
ah ain't holding ma breath.

Well. it is Google who did.
After reading mvl's post (partial quote below) I checked Google maps and the underpass connection is shown now on the Google map.

TomTom/Tele Atlas boasts:
Teleatlas just announced their quarterly map update, which should make it into the August 2010 Tomtom map.

Innovative use of community input continues to enhance company?s maps and enhancement products across all regions
[ ... ]
TomTom continues to demonstrate its commitment to delivering the highest quality map coverage across all regions with the 2010.06 release, with updates including:

• The latest maps further demonstrate TomTom?s ability to leverage community input as an innovative way to enhance map products. For the latest release, anonymous GPS measurements have:
    • Increased the road network extensively in several countries, including additional road network geometry in Canada (2,500 km),
    Additionally, TomTom?s latest map products continue leveraging anonymous GPS measurements to further build gradient content across more than 1.5 million km of highways and lower class roads in North America and Europe. With enriched granularity and completeness, TomTom?s location and navigation content and services are differentiated with highly precise, accurate content that can enhance ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) applications and solutions developed by its industry partners.

?TomTom remains the world leader in producing high quality digital maps because of our commitment to delivering the most up-to-date location and navigation content available globally,? ?The company is focused on meeting our global customer needs with the continued addition of advanced map features in markets where our map product coverage is mature and continued expansion in developing markets.?

How TomTom Maps are Made
    TomTom has the only digital map database in the world that is updated daily with the insight of a community of millions of GPS system users worldwide, who along with the company?s unmatched network of sources help to track and validate changes..

• Pity they don't make proper use of it.
    Inability to verify and change the map of an important, to traffic flow, thoroughfare in Canada's largest city in a year is nothing to be proud of.
    To update its maps, TomTom captures and verifies changes from a comprehensive network of global sources, ranging from government documents and public safety officials to construction companies, professional truck drivers, its own drivers, proprietary mobile mapping van technology, as well assatellite and aerial imagery. By validating and adding contributions from individual drivers as an additional source, TomTom is able to increase the total number of changes identified by its network, particularly in geographically dispersed and rural areas covered less frequently by other data sources. This community input is backed by stringent review and validation processes and further enables TomTom to create fresher, higher quality maps and deliver a better experience for end users of its maps.
    - END -

update: been meaning to update this thread for awhile now, but better late than never..

Anyway, On July 1 I recieved two emails from google, one for each error I had pointed out. They said that they had corrected the errors, and indeed they had. Took exactly two months from my submission date.

Ask a Question