Google Maps/etc means end of standalone GPSs?

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
Is it basically over for standalone GPS models? I haven't updated my 11 yr old TT GPS for probably over a yr now (besides it no longer being fully supported anymore w the free map updates). I don't even have data but find that Google Maps is already quite easy to use and ofc their map sys is unbeatable. I could imagine for ppl w data and using that, Waze or something similar w real-time updates on traffic and police sightings, etc, not sure how reg GPSs can match that?

We don't current get 'police sightings', but the real time traffic is quite good on these devices. TomTom's current maps are light years ahead of anything you would have been able to load on your XL350, too. The geometry that they've added over the years is the reason that your device can't be updated... just nowhere near enough memory in a 350 to add all of the map features that have caused the maps to grow so much.

But the larger (no pun intended) point:
I have tried various apps on my Samsung S20, which has quite a good screen, but every one, including Google Maps and TomTom's GO app, use fonts that are too bloody small to see while driving when the phone isn't (and shouldn't be) right up in my face. The 7" screen on the new GO Discover and even the 6" screens work much better for me, so I use my phone only in an emergency (no TT device with me).

So for now, I'm sticking with purpose built units for automotive use (and handheld as well - and that's another whole story).

Wow, that's interesting. Still, shall I assume that Google has the best maps bar none? I can't imagine another company that has something from comprehensive. I just have a regular smartphone and personally don't have prbs reading the map from it. Ofc it's night-and-day vs my 'ancient' GPS but Google Maps is great, acting like a standalone GPS w voice prompts, lane indicators.

There's no question that for now, Google is quicker to distribute corrections, but as far as base geometry goes, it's about a toss up now. TT has even added a ton of federal forest service roads ('unpaved goat tracks' to those of you with two wheel drive) which makes it a lot easier to navigate in the 'outback'. They're all using the same government sources for data, and the same technique now to avoid missing bits -- you anonymously map your probes' (that's us) locations and plot against a master map of known geometry. When you start seeing traffic where there's no road, you find out why and fix it. As I say, the only difference is that when there's a hiccup, Google gets them distributed faster. TomTom is catching up on their Android app since they are back to incremental map updates on that device, and will be soon as well on their new PND, about to be released in North America.

Ask a Question