Google / Mapquest integration

Anyone know if there has been any work on integrating TomTom with Google maps / Mapquest.

Specifically I'd like the ability to click on an icon (within the browser) and have the location downloaded to my TomTom as an additional destination.

Within IE this might need to be a toolbar, and Firefox an extension?

Thoughts?

Interesting idea, but is there any way to know how it actually works without downloading it, setting it up, and using it? I'm not being lazy as much as I don't particular want to mess up an IE, TomTom, etc. install just to figure out I don't like this software. The site is rather vague on how it actually works.

OK, I downloaded the software, installed but not sure what I would use this for? Why would I need to create waypoints in google earth to download into tomtom? Just trying to understand what this functionality buys you. It's not like I'm downloading google maps and tomtom will then navigate off of those. If someone could explain to me what this intergration is useful for I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Beware of mixing Google with TomTom. I downloaded Google Earth looked up about 75 addresses. Got the Longitude and Latitude of those addresses. I then created a POI with POIEdit. When I went to use the POIs I found that they were all off by about 600 Feet!

Use your TomTom to get GPS cordinates. Use Virtual TomTom and go to browse map. Then click on find. Select address and it will locate what you entered. It will display the GPS cordinates (longitude and latidtude) on the bottom left of the screen (above options).

Tyre is for waypoints, or so called .itn files ;)
Use poiedit in combination with Google Earth.

I found out that Total gas stations were a mess here, so I started tracking them down on the Netherlands map.
My surprise was like :eek:
It was dead on accurate, every station on the meter accurate :D
So go to http://www.poiedit.com/ and download it.

Next punch up google earth, then look up the address with the search and then see if you can spot the shop, gas station or whatever you search for and then save those as .kml

Now poiedit open again and import the file, should list all gps positions and names, now simply save as .ov2 and your done :D

I must point out that the Netherlands was recently updated in photos beginning of september 06.

But I also made a sightseeing poi with locations in San Francisco and they seem to be dead on as well.

Anyone know how the heck to get Google Earth to show you all locations in a given area instead of ten or so? Like, show all Shell gas stations and then save that, import into POIEdit, etc...

Bryan

Beware of mixing Google with TomTom. I downloaded Google Earth looked up about 75 addresses. Got the Longitude and Latitude of those addresses. I then created a POI with POIEdit. When I went to use the POIs I found that they were all off by about 600 Feet!

It may not be an inconsistency. My 910 had repeatedly been off that much with specific address - even when coming at them from different directions. It anni=ounces "you have arrived' too soon. I have tried the re-set instructions I saw elsewhere in this forum, but it has not corrected the problem.

This is a problem with the GPS program (or the firmware) - not the maps, otherwise I would not always experience the above.

This is a problem with the GPS program (or the firmware) - not the maps, otherwise I would not always experience the above.
GAW,

Have you talked to TomTom support about this issue? Usually I've found in the POI's that I've built from My POI and Google Earth (especially GE) that the coordinates are usually off or way off so I wind up using GE to get the correct coordinates (by placing my cursor over the correct location on the map, grabbing those) and then updating my POI file. That has always fixed the issue for me but it's very time consuming. Even the Dunkin' Doughnuts POI that TomTom released free is full of areas for the Chicago area!

AGHHHH... I really wish someone could break down the actual number of POI files that one can manually create and actually use on my TomTom. Does that number increase if I disable the built-in POI's that shipped with my TomTom? If the number is 100 (or 27 or 48 as some have said), is that limited by the actual number of entries in each of my POI files? What is the cause of the limit, the amount of RAM in my TomTom GO 910?

Bryan

Ask a Question