google Latitude, Longitude

my device couldn't find a address, saying it was an unnamed road, so I thought I'd put in the Latitude, Longitude from google earth, but in google earth the Latitude, Longitude seems to be writed different, it starts with 52?01'57.11"N shouldn't it start with N then numbers, I haven't tried to this to do before so excuse my ignorance

Yes, for example....f your set units preference for lat/long is set for minutes and you wish to enter a value, by default the N shows first in the next screen (followed by numeric values).

Confused using Google Earth and TomTom

my device couldn't find a address, saying it was an unnamed road, so I thought I'd put in the Latitude, Longitude from google earth, but in google earth the Latitude, Longitude seems to be writed different, it starts with 52?01'57.11"N shouldn't it start with N then numbers, I haven't tried to this to do before so excuse my ignorance

I am finding some differences. The TomTom XL 340-S that I have records Longituted and Latitude as:
N 38?43.345', W 90?39.411' and google earth shows the same place as 38?43'20.82"N,
90?39'25.06"W so it would seem to me that not only is the placement of the N and W different but also the numbers with ' and " are different.
So how would you find a place using Google Earth and then try to input it into TomTom using the longititude and latitude?
Confused??
LilyLady

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to convert the degrees, minutes, and seconds into degrees in decimal form (or vice versa). There are 60 seconds in a minute, and 60 minutes in a degree. I set up an excel file that I'll try to attach here. I prefer to use decimal degrees, so if you enter the deg, min, sec's it will give you the decimals.

Ok, it wouldn't let me upload the Excel file, but I did take a quick snapshot so you can make your own if youd like.
You make columns for deg, min, and sec.
The top of the picture shows the equation in D2 for the NORTH value,
and the bottom of the picture shows the equation for the WEST value.

Attachments

• GPS.JPG
    GPS.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,043
Just change the coordinate format on the TomTom to match what you are using in Google Earth as the TomTom supports:

DD (Decimal Degrees)
DM.M (Degrees decimal minutes)
D.M.S (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds)

- Mike

Just change the coordinate format on the TomTom to match what you are using in Google Earth as the TomTom supports:

DD (Decimal Degrees)
DM.M (Degrees decimal minutes)
D.M.S (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds)

- Mike

Well, if I did that, how could I tell some one else with a TomTom GPS device how to find a location with Latitudue and Longititude?

You would tell them to do the same as you; namely, set the method on the unit to show lat/long and then have them imput the data in the appropriate format.

You need to convert the degrees, minutes, and seconds into degrees in decimal form (or vice versa). There are 60 seconds in a minute, and 60 minutes in a degree. I set up an excel file that I'll try to attach here. I prefer to use decimal degrees, so if you enter the deg, min, sec's it will give you the decimals.
I too prefer decimal degrees but Google maps balks at that, it wants it in Deg | Min | Sec.
Long time ago someone posted this converter in a Yahoogroup.

I have just received a TomTom Ease. It seems to have a problem with the address on my street. When i input my address as my HOME site, it shows my house 300 ft to the East. Is there anyway to input long and lat coordinates into an EASE?

I have just received a TomTom Ease. It seems to have a problem with the address on my street. When i input my address as my HOME site, it shows my house 300 ft to the East. Is there anyway to input long and lat coordinates into an EASE?
I do not believe either the new firmware nor the separate menu option (.mnu file) will get you back the ability to select latitude/longitude for setting a location or navigating to a location. I do believe you can "tab" to the screen that uses "my current position" when you're sitting in your driveway to get the result you want, though.

That said, it might be better if you don't use your precise home location. Rather, we recommend you use a nearby major street intersection somewhat away from your house. Your ETA calculations will still only be a minute or so off.

Why? If your unit gets stolen, along with your garage door opener (OK, just an example) while you're out shopping, do you want someone to know where it came from while you're not home?

Update on coordinate acquisition

I too prefer decimal degrees but Google maps balks at that, it wants it in Deg | Min | Sec.
Long time ago someone posted this converter in a Yahoogroup.
It had been posted elsewhere that Google maps has the ability to supply coordinates for any given location.

Put cursor at a location.
Right click.
Click What is here?

and the coordinates, in decimal degrees appear in the Search Maps field.

This works extremely well.
I enlarged the map, selected the Canada Customs exit at Terminal 3, Toronto airport. I did the same with a coffee shop off the airport facilities. Made an A .. B from that shop to the pick up point and ran it in demo mode, then showed it to my wife.
I then showed her the turn-by-turn street view in Google.
(There was no need to make an ITN out of it as the device would pick up the Terminal 3 end point again anyway.)

Leaving the house I picked Terminal 3 from Recent destinations, got out there, had her drive to the coffee shop and come to pick us up after our visitors had arrived.

Last edited:

Ask a Question