GO930 - Randomly changing screens

I have a GO930 which is now slightly over 2 years old. I have had no problems with it until the last couple of days when, the screen display suddenly started changing from one display to another on its own. I did a reset on it which did not solve the problem.

What is happening is that, from the map screen the TomTom randomly changes to the Main Menu screen 1 of 3 and then cycles through the other menu screens. As it changes, sometimes the arrow icon at the right hand bottom of the screen flashes orange (as it does when being touched to change the screen normally).

It seems likely that there is a problem with the touch screen. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, is it fixable?

This is often caused by a bit of dirt somewhere under the bezel. Take the sharp corner of a business card and move slowly around the circumferance of the screen with it.

Another reason for some is they have a screen protector on the glass which dries out over time, adding pressure to the screen, resulting in phantom presses.

Good answer

I had the exact same problem (with a GO 930 T purchased in July of 2009). I had "phantom activity" on the touch screen. When I cleaned around the perimeter with the sharp end of a business card, it fixed the problem. Many thanks!

GO 920 Suddenly Unstable

My 3+ year-old GO 920 suddenly started randomly and rapidly changing screens and would not respond for more than a second to any touch screen command after which it would take off on its own jumping all over the place again..This is not only frustrating but also hazardous since I was driving a 20-ton rig in heavy traffic on a new route when this "phantom" behavior first occurred. Later I tried both hard and soft resets repeatedly without any improvements.

Just tried cleaning under the bezel with the corner of a business card as recommended by "dhn" and confirmed by "tomastan" and immediately, incredibly, observed a reversion back to "normal" good operating behavior, Thank you for your timely, successful advice on such a frustrating issue. I had just bought another TomTom (XXL 550 TM) before this erratic behavior first occurred for another vehicle and was beginning to think my satisfaction and confidence in TomTom devices was ill-founded. TomTom's home page should include this fix because the help I received from their support/Q&A page was useless. ray

what a crock !

I wouldnt trust tomtom to tell anybody the truth with their faulty screens.
My 930 is 3 weeks out of warrenty when this started. all i got from support was "sorry, your unit is out of warrenty. but we are glad to show you custom loyalty (since this was my 2nd tomtom) by giving you a whopping $10 towards another.
this is a hardware problem that tomtom is very aware of.
see this thread;
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...-750/22916-screen-changing-while-routing.html

I read these posts too, when it started doing changing screens, and even phoned a few police depatments on its own.

the cleaning worked at first.
a few weeks later it acts up again after becoming warm.

if you read this other post i showed, you will see there is a hardware calibration problem.

THATS whta tomtom should be posting. not the standard,
theres something trapped under the bezel.

i have read several posts on other models.
every single one is responded by the tomtom moderator with the "exact same response" !!!!

is it a copy and paste or what ?

I will NOT buy another tomtom.

Finished with your rant?

We post suggestions about cleaning the bezel and removing screen protectors because they are the usual causes of such screen activity in a GREAT MAJORITY of cases.

THATS whta tomtom should be posting. not the standard,
theres something trapped under the bezel.

It's not tomtom posting, it's we users here in a forum.

is it a copy and paste or what ?

No, I actually type it out every time ..............:cool:

I will NOT buy another tomtom.

That is always an option, of course. Hope you have a better experience with another brand.

I understand

My appologies.
You have to understand I am very upset with tomtom at this point.

I certainly would be greatful if you do not actually work for tomtom and do this out of your own time.

I just have seen an awful lot of sites that say the exact same thing going on with their tomtom.

maybe 1 in 10 state the cleaning of the bezel worked.

This is truly a design or equipment flaw of the tomtom and should be addressed by tomtom in that manner.

Not every tomtom does this during the warrenty period, so if tomtom finds that their faulty screens are acting up, they should take that into consideration and offer a recall on such units.

The $10 off of a new tomtom purchase for "customer loyalty" for a unit that is 3 weeks out of warrenty was the final slap in the face.

My appologies if i came across so angry. this was a very expensive unit (the 2nd tomotm i purchased. the 1st one was stolen) and its going to be hard to replace at this point.

I certainly would be greatful if you do not actually work for tomtom and do this out of your own time.
Indeed we do (the latter). There's no formal association with TomTom of any sort here, and while we've tried to get the guy who owns the system to take us in a vacation to the Bahama's (or was it Bermuda?), so far, no luck with that.

maybe 1 in 10 state the cleaning of the bezel worked.
We've had much better than 1/10 luck with that here (I'd guess it's more on the order of 8/10, averaged out over the time we've been hearing about it), which is why we continue to recommend cleaning as the first line of attack.

...its going to be hard to replace at this point.
Depending upon the specific features you were enjoying on your 920, that's certainly true. There's nothing yet available in the newer products that reproduces all that a 930 can do.

I was surprised to see another user talk about this as a screen calibration issue. One thing for certain, that's easy to check. If/when you can get the unit in a stable state so you can play with the 'buttons', take a toothpick, or anything else that looks like a fairly sharp stylus, and use it to select the corners of a couple of icons on one of the screens. If the screen response seems fairly well aligned to the image, the phantom press problem won't be from any kind calibration issue. I often wonder in those cases where cleaning doesn't help whether removing the bezel helps. Obviously, it's not possible to drive around with the bezel missing, but I'm wondering if there's any deformation taking place in the plastic that's putting pressure on the face of the touch screen. As I've never had one that behaves badly this way, I've never been in a position to find out.

FWIW - while it is only the touchscreen that is suspect in these 'other' cases, it is probably easier to replace the entire LCD/touchscreen assembly. The 4.3" model can be found on eBay for between $50 and $60. For someone feeling more adventurous, the touch/digitizer can be purchased separately for less than $20.

Replacement of the screen assembly on a 930 is a piece of cake.

New to Forums but know the problem

I have twin 920's from two different sources. One has developed the heat issue as mentioned the second just keeps plugging along. I have had both running in the same hot vehicle at the same time, same maintenance (Cleaning and such) but the one that does the phantom pressing always goes to finding the local police and if the bluetooth is enabled, would attempt to call! :eek:
Several observations, the flaky unit, acquires sat. signal faster, the voice is louder and keeps on-track better. The bad side is when hot, phantom pressing eventually going for the police, the voice will start to cut out on long words, and using the phone through the device the sound will eventually drop out. It also burns though the battery faster. And when I mean voice is louder, the screen will dim if volume is all the way up. I have taken the unit apart to replace the battery and to look for any issues. But to-date, I'm still stumped. :sad:

well my go 630 has the same problem as everyone here... after ringing tom tom in amsterdam i was told it was a "known issue" software glitch and he would talk me through the necessary steps, but after putting me on hold to talk to a colleague he came back and said he was told it could take us a while and may not be successful. so he his sending me a prepaid envelope too send it off for this too be done... mmmm interesting.. so guess tom tom are starting to accept there is an issue, but why treat us like idiots... havent they heard of the WWW.. he he anyway it shall stop driving me mad :)

Go 730 with same problem

I have a Go 730 that is doing the exact same thing and it is making me furious! I havent used it that much and its just over a year old. It seems to start calling the police about 3 minutes fater being turned on. I tried docking and connecting to the software loaded on the pc to update the software but that did not seem to do the trick. Have we heard if TomTom is doing anything about this issue OOW? I will try the business card trick, but since it needs to warm up, it sounds like it is an issue with the motherboard and heat related. Thanks for the thread!

...but since it needs to warm up, it sounds like it is an issue with the motherboard and heat related. Thanks for the thread!
We've pretty well isolated it to a mechanical problem if heat is a factor (not motherboard). No sure way to resolve it that makes sense for an end user, though.

results...

Well, it may be a bit early to rejoice, but right after I posted my message yesterday, I did the business card trick and it seemed to stop the phantom pressing. Now, since it acted up within a few minutes before, I let it set there on a map charging (in living room) and it never acted up that afternoon. I will now take it to the car where it will get really hot and see if that sets it off. If not, I REALLY appreciate the comments on this thread about the business card! I did not want to go out and buy another one after using this only less than 12 hours and paying what I did for it. If it acts up again in heat, I will report back again.

Thanks!
dave

I have a TomTom 930 and a TomTom 920, both are a couple of years old. Both started to do this, including calling police numbers - very embarrasing. I did the card thing and it solved the problem for a few days then came back. I HAVE AN ADDITIONAL STEP which for four weeks now has REALLY cured the problem. DIP THE CORNER OF THE BUSINESS CARD in a drop of 3-in-1 lubricating oil then slide it around the whole edge of the screen under the escutcheon. CLEAN OFF THE EXCESS from the main screen (it cleans easily with a cloth or tissue). I have had NO problems with both TomToms for four weeks now, in all kinds of condiditons (hot, cold, bumpy, power on/off, use bluetooth) it has worked perfectly since I did this. The edges need to be lubricated so they don't activate the touch screen - problem solved !

Welcome to TTF. Appreciate the feedback and will suggest it to others with the same issue.

This is often caused by a bit of dirt somewhere under the bezel. Take the sharp corner of a business card and move slowly around the circumferance of the screen with it.

Another reason for some is they have a screen protector on the glass which dries out over time, adding pressure to the screen, resulting in phantom presses.

thanks dhn

another reason could be hot air blowing from the dash

please also look at comments by pvdpvd on the 2nd page

I have a TomTom 930 and a TomTom 920, both are a couple of years old. Both started to do this, including calling police numbers - very embarrasing. I did the card thing and it solved the problem for a few days then came back. I HAVE AN ADDITIONAL STEP which for four weeks now has REALLY cured the problem. DIP THE CORNER OF THE BUSINESS CARD in a drop of 3-in-1 lubricating oil then slide it around the whole edge of the screen under the escutcheon. CLEAN OFF THE EXCESS from the main screen (it cleans easily with a cloth or tissue). I have had NO problems with both TomToms for four weeks now, in all kinds of condiditons (hot, cold, bumpy, power on/off, use bluetooth) it has worked perfectly since I did this. The edges need to be lubricated so they don't activate the touch screen - problem solved !

Well at first I thought it was me, or the unit was in the Sun too much...clean around the screen eh.? Ok, i'll give that a try. The randomness is most frustrating. I dont really need the GPS as an address finder as much as a speedometer..with slightly oversized tires, it is such an excellent tool.!

Tks for the advice.

Stk

PVDPVD's fix worked for me

PVDPVD, your fix worked like a charm for my issue. I bought the torx driver and disassembled my TomTom and llubed all around the screen then reassembled. I had someone use it 2 different times recently on 2 trips and it did not act up once. Thanks for the tip which saved me from buying another GPS!:thumb:

I had the same problem after around 2 years. I tried everything to no avail. I finally found a fix. I threw it away and bought a Garmin.

Ask a Question