Go920 - QUICK GPS FIX An important update is available .....

Well, now that I am home I contacted TomTom .... took a few days to respond to me but a nice person gave me instructions on resolving the issue. There was nothing I hadn't done before and it did not initially work.

So I deleted everything on the device and my PC [except the maps] and reinstalled the application.
The device reported no maps and despite me adding them it still could not see them.
So I deleted everything once more and then copied the maps to the internal storage and removed the SD card. Looked for updates and downloaded a new version of the application.
Restarted the device and it found another version of the application. Downloaded that, restarted and it found a third update for the application.
Downloaded that and it worked! Bloody hell it worked. So my device is now functioning once more.

To ease the disappointment of my previous attempts, TomTom have graciously provided an updated verion of Europe maps to my account. Have downloaded them [2.8GB download] to my SD card and the whole device is now up to date and functioning.

Suppose it will make an ideal backup should my Garmin ever fail in the US or my car in Europe!

Glad to hear that you got it all fixed and pleasantly surprised to hear about TomTom's generousity.

I presume your app is now 9.510 and you are on build 2039.
I am surprised the the multiple app updates had not been offered upon your connections to Home before.

Yes the app is now 9.510 not sure how to check the build though ..... correction, App 9.510.1234792.1 OS 842337 (2039, 4/4/2013) so I assume yes.

Multiple app update were offered when I was trying to sort the issue in June .... but despite applying them it did not correct the issue.

Ah, good to see.
That should have happened when you fist connected in June.

Your device is now at the newest stand (April 2013).
I do not expect another upgrade for our 'NAV2' devices.
;-<(

Ah, good to see.
That should have happened when you fist connected in June.

Your device is now at the newest stand (April 2013).
I do not expect another upgrade for our 'NAV2' devices.
;-<(

Well funny enough, I have today received in my email inbox, another 'QuickGPSFix An important update is available' from TomTom.

Sufficient to say, I shall not be applying this or any other 'fix' to my Go920.

But, a QuickGPSFix should be installed any time it is offered.
That resets the table of the position of satellite locations in orbit as they are shifting.

canderson is the expert and may elaborate.

Honestly, if used regularly, the device retains its own ephemeris information. I often do not update the QuickFix for months. When it expires, it's just ignored.
However, would be interesting to see the OP run a FULL backup using his OS to see what happens on another update. However, given frequency of use, probably not worth his brain damage for the experiment!

But, a QuickGPSFix should be installed any time it is offered.
That resets the table of the position of satellite locations in orbit as they are shifting.

canderson is the expert and may elaborate.

Well, this thread was started as a result of one of these 'QuickGPSFix' and the costly mess it left me in at the time.

Honestly, if used regularly, the device retains its own ephemeris information. I often do not update the QuickFix for months. When it expires, it's just ignored.
However, would be interesting to see the OP run a FULL backup using his OS to see what happens on another update. However, given frequency of use, probably not worth his brain damage for the experiment!

I will more than likely apply this fix when I have some time. At the moment I have a lot of pressing matters to attend to ..... but will apply the fix after taking some backups. I shall post the results here. The device is not needed until next June so I have plenty of time to resolve if it goes pear-shaped :)

Ask a Question