Go750

TomTom Model(s)
GO750
Go750 Operation

Hi
Could anyone answer the following questions?

1 When you view a programmed route on your TomTom is it actual? i.e . If there is an intersection which should display "Lane Assist" would it display it or only display when you drive down the road?

2. If there used to be a "Speed Camera" at a location and you deleted it on the unit, would it still indicate and alarm untill TomTom updates?

3. If you added a NEW "Speed Camera" location, does the unit remember for future notification or does it only advise TomTom?

Cheers
Alan

Last edited:
1 When you view a programmed route on your TomTom is it acctual? i.e . If there is an intersection which should display "Lane Assist" would it display it or only display when you drive down the road?

If you mean when running a "demo" of the route, then yes, I can confirm the display is just the same as if you were driving for real, so as you approach junctions in the demo, the display changes to show Advanced Lane Guidance (the arrows at the bottom) or Reality View (the full screen petty picture) when available.

I' afraid I can't answer Q's 2+3 because I prefer to use a better camera database and warnings than TomTom's own poor effort.

Go 750 Operation

Do you have any suggestion why my 750 does NOT show "Lane Guidance" in the Status Bar.
(Menu / Change Preferences / Status bar preferences / Show lane guidance is ticked).

Cheers

You need to tap that icon and have it say Hide Lane images.

Sorry, dhn, that setting is not an icon but a tickbox.... ;)

@Alatel... A couple of things...

1. the "Advanced Lane Guidance" (to give it it's full name) is the little arrows in the status bar, while the rest of the screen stays the same,
It doesn't appear at EVERY junction, so if you live in a very out-of-the-way place it might not be in the map data.
(I don't know how big Wellington is!)
Can you give an example of a junction (preferably in Lat/Long. coordinates) so someone else with the Australia mapping can check for you if the ALG is there?

Or
2. Were you actually thinking of the "Reality View" images?
Reality View is the full-screen pictures showing the junction like a cartoon, replacing the normal navigation view for a while.
The Reality View images are available for even fewer junctions.
They are also switched on or off in a DIFFERENT tick-box ("show lane images" in Change Preferences page 7 / Advanced Preferences.

If it's still not working, have you tried a reset or a return to factory settings?

Last edited:
HI Andy

Thank you, you have answered another of my questions with your reply to dhn, I was wondering about "that" icon which the manual reffers to.

S41 degrees 143.866 minutes E174 degrees 48.823 minutes
This is the co-ordinates of the intersection of SH1 and SH2.

1. The ALG is NOT working and I know it should be working at the junction of SH1 & SH2 as I have seen it working on an XL250 and VIA160.
When heading North on SH2 from City = Wellington, Street = Aotea Quay Interchange to City = Lower Hutt, Street = Jackson Street, anywhere.

2. As it happens "Reality View" is also NOT working which also worked on the XL250 and VIA160.

I have ticked the checkbox in the Advanced Preferences on page 7.

I have also tried Reset (holding OFF/ON switch for 15 sec) and reset to Factory defaults and checking checkboxes.

Just a bit more info,
I bought this unit secondhand because of the limitations of new models and I suspect that the previous owner may have been into the files as the "Statup" screen is a picture of flowers and NOT a TomTom Logo and if I select change picture I am advised that there are no other pictures.

Thanking you in anticipation
Cheers
Alan

Last edited:
What map version do you have? (see here)

The latest is version 865, and lane guidance has been added at a rapid pace over the past year. It's possible the missing guidance is due to an old map.

More startup images can be downloaded in Tomtom HOME (download startup/shutdown images). Or you can manually put pictures in the \photos folder on the Tomtom drive.

Map 840 is 15 months old now and probably does not contain any ALG data. In Canada, there wasn't any serious ALG information until 845 and it has improved with each release since then.

I guess a map update is in order?

Hi dhn

I see you have NZ map 835 on your device.

Does it show ALG for thr intersection advised in my earlier post?

S41 degrees 143.866 minutes E174 degrees 48.823 minutes
This is the co-ordinates of the intersection of SH1 and SH2.

1. The ALG is NOT working and I know it should be working at the junction of SH1 & SH2 as I have seen it working on an XL250 and VIA160.
When heading North on SH2 from City = Wellington, Street = Aotea Quay Interchange to City = Lower Hutt, Street = Jackson Street, anywhere.

Cheers

In truth, it was my wife who used the unit in NZ (just got back from there after 5 weeks). She used the unit only a couple of times and honestly doesn't remember whether she saw it or not. (I would doubt it ...)

Give me about 10 minutes or so to see if I can get to that location using Advanced Planning (I can't use the Navigate function since the unit is back in Canada).

Can you give me a starting point (town prreferably) for the Advanced Planning so I can run a demo. Try to make it close to the junction you want)

Okay, did a demo of this route:

and definitely did NOT see ALG at the interchange of SH1 and SH2.

So I think we were right to say earlier that your map is simply too old to have ALG on it. Your other devices have newer maps so they DO have it.
Make sense?

My access has been fixed, so I can post again :)

Well it looks like the problem with the Wellington instersection is the age of the map. (from what I can gather Map:840 is only 15 months old !!!)

I havel tried some simulating on the Auckland motorway and do NOT get any fancy pictures or ALG.

Auckland Motorway junctions are more important to me as I know the Wellington intersections but always have trouble getting off the Auckland motorways at the correct location.

Thanks for everyones assistance.

dhn - if you ever get bored or have nothing to do, you could try some Auckland motorway junctions (I have seen a junction displayed showing Symonds Street exit on a TomTom advertisement.)

Will keep you informed.

Again thanks for all assistance

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
Well it looks like the problem with the Wellington instersection is the age of the map. (from what I can gather Map:840 is only 15 months old !!!)

Reality View and ALG were first introduced in mid 2008 (with the Go x30 models) but imagine the amount of work that needed to be done to the existing mapping to include all the extra lane information which was never needed before (one of the reasons maps have got much bigger?).

I guess it may have taken a while longer to do Australia/New Zealand because the market is smaller than the US and Europe?

Just to help make things murkier than they already are, New Zealand map 840.2562 has ALG, as I understand it ALG is just the arrows and not the pretty pictures which is called "Reality View" and is dangerous to rely on.

For New Zealand 835 maps
835.2419 has ALG
835.2394 no ALG

The source for this info is not TomTom.
Anyone have an official TomTom map compatibility chart or know where to find one?

Last edited:
Lane Guidance was technically available a couple of years ago, but there were very very few roads that had it.

Tomtom's been adding it to more roads each quarterly release, at different paces in different countries. So there's no single date of release.

Hi

Thanks Aiken Drum, I thought I was sorted !!! Thank you for your input, I think???

When I run "DEMO' routes I only get general Direction arrows in the Status not individual Lane arrows without the pretty pictures.

As it happens, I have to go to Auckland on the 11th April maybe I will delay updating my maps until after that day, as I will be flying from Wellington to Auckland then driving North of Auckland over the harbour bridge and I should be able to see if map version 840:2562 shows ALG or anything else.

The first roads in New Zealand to have ALG on maps would have been on the Auckland motorway.

If I update my maps could I download updated maps and load the latest onto the SD card and be able to switch between them ? that way I could check both.
Cheers

Last edited:

Ask a Question