GO750 Not Recognising MicroSD Card

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 750
Hello,

I'm having a very confusing problem with my new GO 750, hopefully someone can shed some light on the cause and ideally how to fix it. Searched around and can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Here goes:
Just purchased a 750 (which works fine for navigation, bluetooth etc. However it came with a special offer of a free overseas map (I live in Australia), just need to download after proof of purchase. I purchased a Kingston 2GB Micro SD card (unfortunately believed the TomTom page and thought this was the largest it would accept) as when I tried to download my free map (US) it said it was 1.5GB and I didn't have enough space. So now with the card plugged in (and formatted to FAT32) the PC sees the card separately to the 750 in Explorer, however there is no option available for me to change the memory to the Micro SD card to download the map. When I click on Device in TomTom Home the Change Device option is greyed out. So when I try to download the map it just says I don't have enough space. My 750 only has 1GB of internal memory so even if I was to copy the Australian maps to the card manually I still won't have enough space to download and install the US map (1.5GB in size). The card is fine, I can copy files to it, delete files from it etc. When I reset the 750 and get the black linux screen it correctly tells me the capacity of the SD card, so I know it is being recognised, but I can't select it through TomTom Home. I'm using version 2.7.4.1962 of Home (if that makes any difference), which is the latest version that downloaded when I plugged in my 750.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get Home to see my card and allow me to swap over to it so I can download my free map (which I want to use on an upcoming trip to the US later this year) I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation
Mark

Mark, Have you got the new overseas map downloaded to your computer yet? If so you can use Windows Explorer to install the map straight to the card, have a look in the following folder on your PC for the map:

C:/Users/Your PC Name/Documents/TomTom/HOME/Download/complete/map/

If you have the new map in this folder we can guide you the rest of the way ignoring the useless Home software - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the speedy response.

I am unable to download the map because when I go to update my GO it shows the USA map but says "This item does not fit on your device" in red and doesn't let me check the check box to download it. The only option I have is to hit the back button.:mad:

Is there something I need to do to tell Home that I have a card and that I want to use it?

Regards
Mark

Insert the card in to the TomTom then reset the nav unit by holding down the on/ off switch until you hear a drum roll (typically 20 to 30 seconds) Let the device boot up then connect it to your computer, when Home starts up it should provide this screen:

Once you select the memory location it should then download the map (note yours will show the device serial number and obviously different memory availability) - Don't worry about the reset as doing this won't loose any settings or data.

One other possible thought though, how many card readers and drive letters have you got in use on the computer, if you have a card reader plugged in it might be worth trying to connect the device with the card reader unplugged to release drive letters for use by other devices - Mike

Last edited:
Is the card a sd card or a sdhc card? I thought the latter was needed for that model.

Hi Mike,

I don't get the screen asking which device to use when I connect the 750. It just starts up and without any option. Does Home somehow remember that the first time I ever plugged it in I didn't have a card installed?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but still have the same problem. TomTom is drive K and the removable disc is drive L. I am connected directly to the PC and have a few drives already installed (HDDs) and I don't want to change the letters on these.

I'm still really confused. Do I have to have a Micro SDHC card? I am using a Micro SD card only.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Regards
Mark

Well, actually I think it is supposed to recognize both a sd and sdhc card. I'm still inclined to try the latter.

You DID reset the device as Mike suggested prior to connecting to Home, didn't you?

Have reset about a thousand times so far, in the hope that it will suddenly work:) But to no avail. Have reset to the black screen as well as to the drum sound. Still no joy.

Is there a special routine I should follow in some way? Fast running out of ideas here. I am running Win 7 32 bit by the way, in case that could have any bearing on the problem.

Not sure if it has any bearing on anything or not, but I have NEVER seen the screen pictured above.

Regards
Mark

You aren't the only one running out of ideas, mate.......:(

Other than suggesting a sdhc card, can you run your version of Home in XP compatible mode? If so, try that.......

Just checked and it is running in XP SP3 compatibility mode (and I set it to run as administrator just in case but still no joy).

Thanks for trying, maybe someone else has come across this problem. Will give it a few days and keep checking back. Will also post a question on the TomTom website and see if they have any ideas.

Many thanks
Mark

A couple of thoughts:
1) install the latest app 9.053 from HOME. It could be one of the unspecified "minor improvements" in the new app that just fixes this issue

2) If the above doesn't work - use Windows explorer to move everything from the internal drive to the SD card. And then on the SD card delete the file called "internal.dat". Then disconnect and use the Tomtom. (As it starts up, it writes new identification files for HOME to recognize it.) Once it's on and you see the map, reconnect to HOME and you may get the "use internal or external" screen from mikealder's screenshot

If you get the screen, move the "Australia" folder only back from the SD to the internal, then close/reopen HOME, and hopefully you should have enough space to reinstall the new map.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions, however on my way home today (a 2 hour train ride) I thought I might try installing the application on another PC and see if that recognises the card. Success:D

I am downloading the US map as I type (it came up with the screen asking which device I wanted to use as per previous posts).

This other PC runs Win 7 as well so I can only think that somehow there is some file stuck in my original PC which tells Home not to worry about checking for a memory card. I think I remember seeing a post about completely uninstalling Home and some special way to do it so I probably need to track that one down again and get rid of everything completely and start from scratch. Hopefully I don't need to go searching too far into the registry to clean it up.

So worst case, I can just use the other PC for the 750 when needed. Still a mystery as to why, but again, thank you all very much for your suggestions and offers of assistance, great attitude for a forum where you probably get numptys like me everyday asking stupid questions:eek:

Thanks again and if I have any other news I'll be sure and post back here updating you all.

Cheers from Oz

Marki

Ask a Question