GO730 House # are off by 4/10 of a mile

Hi everyone.
I am new to this web site. And want to know if any of you have seen this problem.

I just bough the tom-tom Go 730 I also install the new map 805.1801 after I complain to tom-tom and they though that installing the new map was going
to fix my problem.

Well as you know the first thing to program is your home location. I put my home address and wuala is not where the arrow present point is. I though s***t I lost my house. So I look back and for and I found the house 4/10 of
a mile away from my present location.

So I start looking for address any where in the map. I pick address from different states from my street & trip map program that I have and then checked those address in my old GPS Iway250c, on the Google map and the yahoo map and compared to the new tom-tom Go730. All where fine but tom-tom 730 were off.

I found quite a few addresses that are off between 150 yards to 4/10 of a mile
I'm finding a lot of POI in my area that is off in the map because the numerations are in the wrong location.

I also check the tom-tom 720 and the ONEXL and the vio gps with the same result. I think there is a program problem on all those map that they use.
I am not saying that everything is wrong but there is a quite a few for my liking.

Every time I program the 730 gps to go home and I get home the gps keep going for another 4/10 of a mile. I leave in Westport mass. You are welcome to check this out if you have another older gps or on Google or yahoo. I also check the coordinate between my Street & trip program, my old GPS Iway250c and tom-tom 730, the coordinate point to the same position in all the maps.

The longitudes and latitudes coordinates are fine in compare to my old GPS, it is just the house numeration on the street that are off and that mean that the whole street numbers will be off from the real location.

I am thinking in returning the unit. This problem won?t get fix in a week and it will bug me to death that my own house is not where it is suppose to be.

There is other thing that they could improve also. Like the zoom map loses a lot of detail when you zoom out the map, I like to see more detail, also you can?t move the map around to see other stuff, and you need to go to other map so you can move it this is not practical when you are driving (you looking for other menu).

This is my major concern.
Thks
Rey

The gps is only as good as the map being used. (My house is 8 away from where my 720 shows it to be).

Some GPS brands are more accurate in some areas; others are more accurate in different locations.

In theory, Mapshare should allow for some corrections to a current or future map.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but ....:(

I have recently found that my TomTom 930 does not even tell me where the house is when I navigate to an address, it only says you have arrived at your destination when on the street! THAT IS BS! My Garmin Streetpilot took me to the house before telling me I had arrived. I only bought the 930 because of the ability to speak the address while traveling and that is the only good thing I have found on these units! I MIGHT.....go back to Garmin and Navteq.

Last edited:
I have recently found that my TomTom 930 does not even tell me where the house is when I navigate to an address, it only says you have arrived at your destination when on the street! THAT IS BS! My Garmin Streetpilot took me to the house before telling me I had arrived. I only bought the 930 because of the ability to speak the address while traveling and that is the only good thing I have found on these units! I MIGHT.....go back to Garmin and Navteq.

You will hear the voice saying 'you have reached your destination' BEFORE the arrow gets to the checkered flag. That (the flag) is where the unit thinks the true destination is.

If you look at the colored route highlight, it will have a little arrow pointing to the left or the right side of the road, indicating wihch side of the road the address should be on. There is no way that it can be highly accurate as far as addresses. That would require geo coding every existing address in North America, and then keeping that updated everytime things changed. Nearly impossible. It will get you in the general area, and then let the computer between your ears take over.

This seems to be a common issue with Teleatlas mapping. I know that it exists in two counties in my area and there have been several posts about it in other threads. The odd thing is that other map providers have it correct. Around here it's only off by .25' per address but of couse that adds up to about 5 miles in the length of a county. I've reported this to Teleatlas and suggest everyone that finds a problem do so as well.

They all are off some places.

I just got a GO730 yesterday and yes, they are off on some roads and not on others. My Garmin is the same. It is not the gps, but the maps that are at fault. It will take years of corrections to get the numbers all correct. I dont fault TomTom for this, it just takes time.
Best thing is get in your driveway and set your home location from there, rather than input it as an address.

Hi everyone.
I am new to this web site. And want to know if any of you have seen this problem.

I just bough the tom-tom Go 730 I also install the new map 805.1801 after I complain to tom-tom and they though that installing the new map was going
to fix my problem.

Well as you know the first thing to program is your home location. I put my home address and wuala is not where the arrow present point is. I though s***t I lost my house. So I look back and for and I found the house 4/10 of
a mile away from my present location.

So I start looking for address any where in the map. I pick address from different states from my street & trip map program that I have and then checked those address in my old GPS Iway250c, on the Google map and the yahoo map and compared to the new tom-tom Go730. All where fine but tom-tom 730 were off.

I found quite a few addresses that are off between 150 yards to 4/10 of a mile
I'm finding a lot of POI in my area that is off in the map because the numerations are in the wrong location.

I also check the tom-tom 720 and the ONEXL and the vio gps with the same result. I think there is a program problem on all those map that they use.
I am not saying that everything is wrong but there is a quite a few for my liking.

Every time I program the 730 gps to go home and I get home the gps keep going for another 4/10 of a mile. I leave in Westport mass. You are welcome to check this out if you have another older gps or on Google or yahoo. I also check the coordinate between my Street & trip program, my old GPS Iway250c and tom-tom 730, the coordinate point to the same position in all the maps.

The longitudes and latitudes coordinates are fine in compare to my old GPS, it is just the house numeration on the street that are off and that mean that the whole street numbers will be off from the real location.

I am thinking in returning the unit. This problem won?t get fix in a week and it will bug me to death that my own house is not where it is suppose to be.

There is other thing that they could improve also. Like the zoom map loses a lot of detail when you zoom out the map, I like to see more detail, also you can?t move the map around to see other stuff, and you need to go to other map so you can move it this is not practical when you are driving (you looking for other menu).

This is my major concern.
Thks
Rey

I MIGHT.....go back to Garmin and Navteq.
Half a year ago I contacted NAVTEQ because the new 2008 Google Navteq map had moved me six houses to the west and across the street. Their reply was that they have two persons in Ontario (bigger than Texas) to physically check for corrections and that they hope that someone will get around within two years.
The 2008 Maporama Navteq map has me spot on, as Google used to.
I could not find a search site that uses Teleatlas maps to compare but my 930 shifts me the same way the others do.

Do you realize how long it would take them to geocode every address in North America? And then to keep them updated? Impossible!

The point was that switching to Navteq wouldn't help Plumbergeek as they had correct maps and then screwed them up.

Excellent tip:D
Thank You !
PSJ aka Marc
Maybe not for a sufficiently paranoid person.
A thief, having watched a couple leave the car and finding the TT, would have a reasonable expectation to find a vacant house.

I live a mile, three easy turns, from a freeway interchange. I picked that as the home for my TT.
--
Cheers

Last edited:
I think they must input house numbers by just picking the starting and ending numbers for a particular street or block. I guess the system then just calculates where individual numbers are based on this start/finish data. My house is also off by about 80 yards because the house numbers in the map are wrong. The ending number on my street is correct, but the start number is too low so all the houses on my block, especially at the lower numbers, are in the wrong place.

it's not necessarily tele atlas's maps that are at fault. i haven't had this problem with my tomtom, and tele atlas provides the maps for mobile google maps as well. both of those are normally exact for me. so your mileage may vary.

A Garmin had me living 3 doors down

TomTom has me living next door. Aprox 75 feet.

Soon, i'm hoping to be sleeping in my old bed. I don't like the food here and the cat's aggrevating my allergies. Hey, I don't own a cat. It'll be nice when they get this map accuracy down pat........I wanna go home

A Garmin had me living 3 doors down

TomTom has me living next door. Aprox 75 feet.

Soon, i'm hoping to be sleeping in my old bed. I don't like the food here and the cat's aggrevating my allergies. Hey, I don't own a cat. It'll be nice when they get this map accuracy down pat........I wanna go home
ROFL!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Ask a Question