GO720 won't charge in car

Hello All,

My GO720 will charge with PC, but not with car charger, have tried 3 different chargers in 2 cars, also tried using blackberry charger, 720 doesn't show green light, but shows light when connected to charging cradle on PC. seen lots of issues with 8.351 which i have, this started a couple weeks ago. Any help is truly appreciated:confused:

Hi, yes I've tried the reset several times, once it's fully charged from PC it works off battery for almost 3 hrs before it shuts down for low battery, i found a car charger for old blue tooth headset, it has the same usb connector going to give that a try

so far no usb power source, other than the PC cradle works, I've let battery die down a few times, then connect to car charger, and it doesn't get the green light, I then connect to PC, I get the green light, and battery charges back up. tomtom support no help since 720 is out of warranty

Is at least one of the car chargers a proper tom tom labelled one? And what is the output that shows on the chargers?

hello dhn, yes i've tried 3 tomtom car chargers so far, plus charger for my verizon bluetooth headset and blackberry charger none worked, i don't have a meter to test output of chargers. really don't know where to go from here, i'm thinking about downgrading app version, it's a long shot but nothing else has worked

I really don't know whether an app downgrade will help. I don't think I've seen anyone else with your app level report the same problem as yours.

dhn, down grade of app didn't help it's a mystery i'm trying to find a cable that would let me connect the pc cradle to car cigarette lighter to see if that works in car

I've seen stuff like this being sold at Target for $10 to $15. It would let you try your dock in your car.

You sure other things can still charge from your car socket? Could be that one of the car chargers has a short and blew the fuse on both cars.

Hello mvl, thanks for the info, yes in both cars radar detectors work in outlet, i'm going to try using a usb car charger with the pc cradle to see if it charges, i'll let you know

Hello all, I found that usb cable used with usb car charger adaptor works, but none of the tomtom provided cables works. I'm now using a car charger to usb adaptor with the usb cable that came with my palm device

The missus says

I had this happen. I got round it (after a lot and I mean a lot) of trial and error by buying a car cigarette lighter to USB adaptor and plugging in a usb hub (power derived from the cigarette adaptor only) then plugging in the tom tom cradle. It seems that even power supplies that clain to be USB 2.0 compatible often are not. There must be something in the portable hub that allows the satnav to accept the power from the car. The hub was a freebe give away so I guess any that you pick up cheeply will work. My computer recognises the hub when I plug it in so it does something more than passively transmit power. I suppose the satnav does the same. Anyway the USB power adaptor rating appears unimportant I use 500ma output which is the cheepest to buy. Sorry its a bit wordy and I know it might look like a pigs ear but it appears to be working and it almost went in the bin the day before but I hang my head it was the wifes suggestion to try it. I wish I had a Palm!

Hello All,

My GO720 will charge with PC, but not with car charger, have tried 3 different chargers in 2 cars, also tried using blackberry charger, 720 doesn't show green light, but shows light when connected to charging cradle on PC. seen lots of issues with 8.351 which i have, this started a couple weeks ago. Any help is truly appreciated:confused:

Last edited:

Ask a Question