GO720 - Map downloading

Hi Gang,

Hoping you can help me out. I want to download the newest map for my GO720 and have a couple of questions:

1. How do I save all my custom POI's to show on my new map?
2. Is it best to download my map to the computer first, or directly to my unit?

Thanks for your help!
Louis

Second question first.........

When you download a map from TomTom, the compressed map file DOES get installed on the computer first and then Home installs it from the default location (designated in Homes-->Preference-->Folder Preferences) to the computer.

Before you do any updating, though, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now then, the first question.........

From your backed up map folder, use Explorer to copy any files with an extension of .ov2 (they are your custom poi files) along with associated .bmp files to the new map folder on your unit.

Once you've got the new map installed, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on your computer.

Map Downloads

If you created any *.BMP files copy those across as well

Although not a POI answer...
MapSettings.cfg in the North_America_2Gb folder contains Recent Destinations, Itineraries, Home etc you have created. As with your POIs you may want to copy that file to your newly downloaded maps as well.

Ask a Question