Go720 - 10 Series Map - Will it work on a 20 Series

Hi,

Never posted before but read the forum whenever I have had an issues with my device. Wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a Go720 and want to buy my mates Western Europe Map SD card from him, but it's from a 710. He mentioned something about it being for the 10 series and may not work on a 20 series.

If anyone could clarify this for me it would be appreciated?

Many thanks

If the map is an official one from TomTom and came on the sd card then it should work on any TT device with a sd card slot, as your model does.

Maps sold on sd cards are locked to the card. Maps obtained by a download are locked to the device and are not interchangeable.

Best way to ensure it works is to try it out and see.

Hi, thought I'd update.

Got the card - a Wesern Europe 2006 tomtom genuine sd card with product code.

Placed it into my TomTom Go720 and it tried to load for ages and ages, when I took it out an icon of a card with a red X was displayed on screen. I don;t think it's compatible unfortunately! I have an early card taken from a TomTom One from 2007, it was only a UK card, not Western Europe, but it worked perfectly.

Any ideas on a workaround or am I doomed!?

Many thanks in advance

That 2006 map is so old that the app on your 720 (probably at 8.351) may not recognize it.

Look for supermod Mikealder to participate in this thread within the next 24 hours or so. He is UK based and, as such, is quite experienced in the functionality of tomtom maps on cards. We don't have them in North America for the most part.

Check back.

A card from a 510 or 710 will contain the Navcore software and all the support files/ folders needed for the device to operate, putting this in to an x20 will make the device boot from the card, being intended for a different device its no real surprise the device rejects it.

I guess in the case of the card from the TomTom one you were either lucky it worked or someone has removed the Navcore application from the card so the x20 boots from the internal memory and offers the map on the card.

In the case of the 710 card is there just a map folder on it or are there loads of lose files and other folders on the card in addition to the map? - Mike

Mike, should I edit my post to say you'd respond in 24 hours? You took 24 minutes.......:D

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help!!!

I have just put the SD card into my laptop and I can see about 20 folders with a similar number of files on the root also. Is there anything I can do or should I just sell this card on EBAY and start hunting for a new series 20 card?

Many thanks in advance

Ask a Question