GO630 is flicking through menu screens

I have had my GO630 for a year now and the other day it started to flick through the menu screens on it's own.

It always activates the top right menu selection - so from the map it goes to main menu 1 of 3 then activates Help me, then walk to help, then nearest police station.

Sometimes it will go over a minuite before it activates anything, other times it flicks so fast it goes from map screen right to the list of police stations!!

Yesterday I went online and downloaded the latest patch but that did not fix it.

Often a symptom of grunge somewhere under the bezel.

Take a sharp corner of a business card and move it slowly around the circumferance of the screen.

I do have the same issue with GO630, keep in mind I bought it also last summer.
Did find out what is going wrong with it? I'm still expecting the same phenomenon
thaks to replay

Hello,
Just wanted to add that I am experiencing the same problem; menu flickers rapidly, and basically won't work.
My TT is as clean as a proverbial whistle, so the card under the bezel thing doesn't apply. I have been quoted 60 pounds to fix.....apparently it's a software issue.....
I have tried the reset many times, fruitlessly Surely there is a way to fix it via the computer?
All help gratefully received :-0.

Hello,
I have been quoted 60 pounds to fix.....apparently it's a software issue.....
Sadly, it's not. So that others are not being bothered with that explanation, can you tell us who it is that told you this?

We're finding that a mechanical issue is causing this with increasing frequency. The bezel is in contact with the touch screen in the upper right. We've had some who can verify this by loosening the case and backing the bezel/'gasket' away from the upper right corner of the unit. While largely a 630 issue at the moment, we're also getting reports from 730 users.

Should add that some others in the UK with the screen issue on their 630 or 7X or 9X models who report the problem to TomTom via customer service ARE getting replacement units, even though their particular unit is out of warranty.

Meanwhile, so far, North Americans with units out of warranty but having the screen issue are getting the brush off from North american customer support.

I would like to inform everyone that Tom Tom just replaced my 630 which was out of warranty due to this problem at no charge. I was told that the problem may come from a software issue during one of the updates. Was great that they replaced the unit, but this is the fifth replacement for me. I purchased the original unit 1.5 years ago and actually used it maybe 12 times. When not being used it was always stored in a protective case in the house. A GPS should be stable and simple with no issues. When this unit fails, I have no doubt is will, I will buy another brand.

Thanks for the feedback. You are the first North American I've seen that got a replacement outside of the warranty period.

What may help with my results was that I told the service person that I would use my social network to tell the world if I didn't get a new unit after having 4 others within a year. With all the time lost waiting for replacements i never had a single unit in my hands for a year.

I was told that the problem may come from a software issue during one of the updates.
We're seeing it reported here at old and new levels of code. People are finding some relief by pulling the bezel loose and working on the upper right corner gasket and bezel. Snapping the bezel off entirely, while not a good long term solution, seems to eliminate the problem. Points to a purely mechanical issue so far.

Tom Tom 630 Flicking Fix

After a whole day of working on tom tom Go 630 I eventually found out what is causing this flicking problem. As DHN say move a business card to remove a grunge...

I used a a slightly thick business card and folded it now put the thick side under the dark grey border that is around the screen, the problem is that this plastic border or bezel whatever it is bends over the period of time due to temperature and starts touching the screen,

to find out which corner is causing this problem, go to browse map, and then observe the screen, the side that is causing trouble for example in mine it was the right side, so the ZOOM on BROWSE MAP started up and down up and down randomly, if its your left side, or top or any other your MAP will by itself start flicking that as if someone is touching that part or close to that part of tom tom, after you have found out, put a folded BUSINESS card so as long as its thick enough to make the gap between the border and the screen, and keep it inside for a day long.

I did it on all the four sides for a whole day and its working perfectly. I hope this sorts out your problem.

GO630 Possessed

I got sick of this issue and when down in the US I bought an XL 350 MT for $139 at Best Buy. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but you can't beet getting lifetime maps and traffic for that price. In general, I found the the extra features of the GO630 were not well developed enough. Some of the issues:

1, No live traffic here in the Toronto area so that feature was useless.

2. Could not set up my Blackberry or my IPhone 4 for the data link, and live services were not supported here anyway.

3. Blue tooth was flaky and not well programmed. Phone would work for a while and then not. No voice recognition.

4. Was looking at another $40 for this years maps on the GO 630

5. At least one of my phone had great speech recognition, but the GO630 could not activate it but insisted that I use the screen menu to select from the imported contact list. This is not as safe as using a $30 earpeice that can access the voice recognition on the phone.

I really like the GPS function of the TOMTOM and that is why I bought another, but the extra features were not worth it IMHO.

Go630's screen changing by themselves.

A little over a year ago I bought a Go630 for myself and one for my wife. They are both doing the same thing! (Changing screens by itself.) As far as the screws being too tight, dirt under the bezel, or a problem with the bezel at all is ridiculous. I have my Go630 apart. The bezel is off. The screws are out. It’s still changing screens by itself. I suspect the problem is a bad touch screen. It annoys the hell out of me especially after all the money I spent on these piece’s of S###. Since it was new I probably used mine maybe 10 times. When I called TomTom they told me, “Sorry, they’re out of warranty.” TomTom has to know there is a problem with these. They just keep denying it. I will never own another TomTom anything! Believe me, I will tell everyone I know to STAY AWAY FROM TOMTOMS!

Ask a Question