GO530 will not respond, fails to power up

Hi,

I have had my tomtom over 12 months now and over the last couple of days it has become prolematic. Sometimes the set will not power on at all, other times it will power on and then hangs on the splash screen and then switches off, this sceanrio exists via the in-car charger and also in the pc cradle.

I have used the reset funtion a number of times, this usually leads to being able to power on the device in the cradle but wont whilst in the car, im getting the feeling the software may be corrupt and i do hope thats the case. I backed up my tom tom the other day, but i feel that if it is corrupt then the back up will be tainted also. I read about formatting the tom tom, and doing an explorer back up but i am unsure of what files i should delete etc and would it be the case of just dragging onto the device the latest software release?

I do need to get this resolved quite quickly as i am not comfortable driving without my device, and ideas thoughts would be most welcome in resolving the issue i have...

Welcome to TTF.

Well, you can make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Once that is done, delete all the loose files from the root of the unit using Explorer. Do not delete any folders or their contents.

Then connect the unit to Home and it should offer an application. Download and install. See if the unit is any better now.

However, from your description, it may be a battery not holding the charge.

In any event, do the application install first and see how it goes....

Thank you for your reply. I am doing as suggested, one thing i forgot to mention was that when the set does manage to boot up sometimes it says to remove the SD card as if there was a fault with it.

The card came with the device and does not have any markings on it, as far as i can see it could well be a blank card, or do the cards come as standard with no markings and data is phyiscally stored onto it?

If it is a battery problem, it would just be the case of buying a replacement battery and fittting it in myself?

Ask a Question