Go live 2535m - live services lost.

That's why Garmin developed an application rather than have the user do it themselves. The application only works with the right units. Its an approved application that uses at most 20mb a month.

Does that help you understand this better?
No, unless you are talking about that Garmin nuvifone A50 that died on the vine a while back.

If you're referring to some Garmin application for smart phones that bypasses the carriers no-tethering policy so as to connect their Nuvi automotive units (via BT) to the net, I'm not aware of it. Most devices (like TomTom) require the use of the DUN profile in the Bluetooth stack somewhere for proper tethering to work. What is this Garmin application called?

The way TomTom did it the carrier wouldn't know what was being connected.
Without a DUN profile somewhere on the phone, there isn't going to BE a connection by the TomTom. We used to have what were called "Plus" services offered by TomTom that used the BT DUN connection between the TomTom and the phone for tethered service back to TomTom. Traffic, weather, etc. was available. A couple of years later, carriers started to strip DUN from their phone's BT stacks to avoid having PC's connected (using the same method as the TomTom) and pulling down lots of data.

For some phones, there are ways to replace the DUN profile with an external bit of code, rooting the phone and bypassing the carriers' ban on tethering... but those are extraordinary measures, and require a fair bit of work on the phone. My point stands that while this semi-illicit method might get you there, GPS manufacturers certainly aren't going to expect their users to root their phones to do it. There wouldn't be enough demand for the service to make it worth their while. Rooters are a small slice of phone owners.

If you're referring to some Garmin application for smart phones that bypasses the carriers no-tethering policy so as to connect their Nuvi automotive units (via BT) to the net, I'm not aware of it.

That's what he's referring to. See here.

Essentially Tomtom PLUS services, but using a proprietary app to make the user-experience relatively seamless.

I see bring-your-own-connectivity as the future of the connected car. PNDs will die in favor of in-dash solutions, and the OEM in-dash lifecycle is too slow compared to the lifecycle of connectivity. So it's only natural that manufacturers would let a cheaper replaceable solution (smartphone) handle the multiple generations of connectivity over the life of a car's ownership.

I'd guess a few in-dash aftermarket systems will have built-in connectivity, as they would have low enough prices to warrant a small enough lifecycle.

I'm sure the carriers will be thrilled. Most are already unhappy about tethering workarounds.

I'm sure the carriers will be thrilled. Most are already unhappy about tethering workarounds.

The carriers in the USA have been trying to prevent becoming a dumb pipe, but their efforts are futile. Tethering is the future, but so is per GB pricing (or at least the "slowdown ceilings").

The cost of wireless communication is all intellectual property, as the patents expire or are out-smarted, the consumer prices will plummet (assuming the fed continues to prevent price-gouging mergers like Tmo/ATT).

So in the end the consumer will win, with low/reasonable per-GB costs and unlimited tethering.

The cost of wireless communication is all intellectual property, as the patents expire or are out-smarted, the consumer prices will plummet ...
? I may not be following, but aren't spectrum and infrastructure costs two huge pieces of the puzzle? The problem that tethering exacerbates is use of bandwidth, both of which are tied to the two above, not IP.

My live services have quit working

No MCC/MNC (?) and then on the off condition where it connects, it says there was an error connecting to Live services. I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

Getting seriously sick of these outages/issues. It seems that it died after the "New Patched" system. Anybody else happening to?

Andy
:rant:

No MCC/MNC (?) and then on the off condition where it connects, it says there was an error connecting to Live services. I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

Getting seriously sick of these outages/issues. It seems that it died after the "New Patched" system. Anybody else happening to?

Andy

Yes - traffic isn't connecting on/off and/or it takes FOREVER to load
I'm tired of TomTom for real! :mad:

Andy

Yes - traffic isn't connecting on/off and/or it takes FOREVER to load
I'm tired of TomTom for real! :mad:

I'm just about fed up with HD traffic's inability to connect in a timely fashion if at all. I'm finding that it connects pretty quickly for my morning commute (a.m. eastern). The pm commute however is a different beast. On a good day it takes about 7 minutes to connect. Often it takes much longer or won't connect at all. What's the point of the service if your already sitting in traffic when it finally connects? BTW all my other live serves work fine, it's just the one I actually want to use that is a major FAIL.

Is it not possible to turn the unit on in the house 10 minutes or so before you need to depart? You DON'T leave it in the car, do you? :eek:

Is it not possible to turn the unit on in the house 10 minutes or so before you need to depart? You DON'T leave it in the car, do you? :eek:

If you come by my house and feed dress and get my 9 month old off to daycare I'll start my TomTom up 10 minutes before I leave the house. Never mind that it's in PM that I'm having issues with connecting. Inside my office I have almost no cell service so starting it up before I depart does me no good. Full bars out in the car though.

@dpbiker
I've also been experiencing longer than normal connections to the traffic server as of late. One trick that seems to have worked for a few people in the past to 'kick start' things is to try another service first - weather is quick and dirty. I don't know if that trick still helps or not, but it's worth a try.

It COULD be an issue with AT&T out your way. Afternoon rush hours are notorious for eating up cellular bandwidth (why sit in traffic when you can talk and sit in traffic?), and your GO1535 uses the older 2G (they called it 2.5G) GPRS data from AT&T sites.

@dpbiker
I've also been experiencing longer than normal connections to the traffic server as of late. One trick that seems to have worked for a few people in the past to 'kick start' things is to try another service first - weather is quick and dirty. I don't know if that trick still helps or not, but it's worth a try.

It COULD be an issue with AT&T out your way. Afternoon rush hours are notorious for eating up cellular bandwidth (why sit in traffic when you can talk and sit in traffic?), and your GO1535 uses the older 2G (they called it 2.5G) GPRS data from AT&T sites.

I think blaming this on AT&T is a bit of a cop out. If that were the issue I wouldn't be able to connect to any of the other live services. I've tried to kick start HD traffic by using another service or restarting the device, neither seem to help. I think the real problem is TomTom's servers can't handle the amount of requests there getting at that time of day. Totally unacceptable IMHO.

Dunno enough about your specifics. Weather always seems to be the easiest for the network to manage during peak demand, perhaps because of the miniscule amount of data being sent.

That said, Traffic IS handled by its own server back in the NL, so weather is only indicative of whether the system will get you a connection back to the NL at all, not necessarily the traffic server.

However, your 'rush hour' occurs much earlier in the afternoon here in Colorado, and I don't have any ongoing problems with traffic here during that period (say, 5~7pm your time and 3~5pm my time). Then again, I've had service here when nobody else in the USA seems to have it because I'm on some sort of 'odd branch' of the AT&T system that they got from Cingular some time ago (my MCC is 310410 which nobody outside of Colorado ever sees on a TT unit).

Remember ... we're all using the same server back in the NL. That's what keeps making me think it's a network issue of some sort.

Ask a Question