Go live 2535m - live services lost.

Live traffic failed to deliver a good result

@Alex
Not sure I'd call it a beta, but indeed, lots of loose ends, some of which should get 'tied up' pretty soon. We haven't seen a firmware update for that model in a while.

If you have specific situations where Live traffic failed to deliver a good result, and as I noted to another user earlier, time + location + issue = something we can report back to TomTom to help them improve the service.

OK. This is for the third time now the same time & place.
San Francisco Bay area 101 SB btw Silver ave. & Candlestick point.
Traffic moved (as it typically does & is usually picked up by FM traffic) 15 to 20 MPH at 8:22 AM.
As far as I know this back-up persists for the better part of the hour btw 8 & 9 AM
My regular trip from California st. & Spruce ave. San Francisco to Beacon st. South San Francisco, is estimated at 25-28 minutes, but typically takes 35.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm clear about the report, US101 SB between (about) I-280 and 3rd street, 8:22am on 2-6-12, traffic moving 15~20mph, shown as slow by RDS traffic, not shown as slow by HD traffic. Do I have that correct?

Not shown on HD traffic

So I'm clear about the report, US101 SB between (about) I-280 and 3rd street, 8:22am on 2-6-12, traffic moving 15~20mph, shown as slow by RDS traffic, not shown as slow by HD traffic. Do I have that correct?

Location is not quite as accurate as I indicated, but close enough.
Not shown on HD traffic, TYPICALLY shown on FM. I didn't have them side by side today, but this back up is reliable 9 out of 10 & my XXL540 would show it nearly 100% of the time; 2335 did show it even once in several weeks.

Since there are no exits at the points you specified, I tried to narrow it down to spots between two exits for TT for the report. Did you mean Sillman for the north point?

Not shown on HD traffic

Since there are no exits at the points you specified, I tried to narrow it down to spots between two exits for TT for the report. Did you mean Sillman for the north point?

I don't know how much it matters but it is between Silliman St (it is actually called Silver ave. exit) & Exit 429A Candlestick Point exit.

Done. Reported as follows:

User in another forum reports that his RDS unit XXL540 picks up the jams at the location specified below, but his GO2535 Live unit does not report them on HD traffic. He advises that this happens almost every weekday:

6 Feb 2012 8:22am PST

US 101 Southbound between exit 430B and exit 429A.
That translates to about N37.73311, W122.40565 southbound to N37.71003,-122.39550.

Here is what I have noticed:

Oregon US 26 EB from Exit 69A to I-405 N/S - there is no coverage between 7:00am - 7:30am (probably longer but that's my time thru there) on HD Traffic (1535) but RDS (XXL540) consistently shows correct traffic status.

@adidas1124
When you say there is "no coverage", do you mean no HD traffic at all (spinning disk in the traffic bar on the right) or just no traffic being shown? What is the RDS showing?

Thanks a bunch. I hope it helps.
Just to let you know, your report is being tracked now. Here's hoping they can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks a bunch. I hope it helps.
Just to let you know, your report is being tracked now. Here's hoping they can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks a lot.
HD traffic is the O N L Y reason I bought a new unit.
I'm still pretty happy with my XXL540TM & would just stick with it otherwise.
Thanks again.

@adidas1124
When you say there is "no coverage", do you mean no HD traffic at all (spinning disk in the traffic bar on the right) or just no traffic being shown? What is the RDS showing?

Showing no traffic... the service is in order.

The RDS is showing "Red" for that direction... I am actually going in the opposite direction at the time...

A little better read on that here., I'll have to update it since a few things have changed.

http://connectedtraveler.wordpress.com/

On the subject of traffic.
This is a little dated by interesting nevertheless:
http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=289

AT&T is beginning to phase out GPRS and its already gone in some areas served by affiliates. Plus some of these GPRS outages could be related to farming out different frequencies to move to LTE since AT&T does not have 700ghz everywhere. . AT&T doesn't sell a single GPRS phone anymore so not too many people would have the same trouble with their phones.

Anyone that has an old gprs phone keep it in the glovebox and turn it on during the next outage. If you see bars and nothing on the page MVL mentioned showing the connection then the problem is specific within AT&Ts machine to machine network.

My 1695 has had one outage that lasted an hour since last July. but TomTom is a far superior product when it works correctly.

Traveling 280 NB in Daly City, CA from Sneath Ln. to John Daly Blvd.
At 6:40 PM received SMS from 511.org warning me of a 16 minute delay.
Checked Google maps, this back-up was already shown there.
6:51 PM received a call from Navteq warning me of a 18 minute delay.
6:59 PM finally showed up on HD traffic giving me a 20 minute delay; I was already sitting in it for about 15 minutes.
I really hope someone will pass it on & this service will improve.
THX

I guess you would roam onto a partner that still has it when you are in an AT&T area but in an affiliate area there may be nothing. In Metro areas though AT&T has HSPA+ which is an advertisers 4G and they are rolling out LTE at the same time plus they say they are short of bandwidth.

I bet MVL has looked into this.

I would imagine the next gen of TomTom maybe goes back to the old method of bluetooth which ironically Garmin went to. If they built a gps that had the correct bluetooth profiles AND could use wifi most people could access the services with hotspots.

Then you'd be paying for the data instead of them.

They could always go the application route too which Garmin went with but unless you build apps for all smartphone platforms you are severely restricting a potential customer base.

If I never had the spinning wheel and outages with my 740 Live I'd have jumped right on the 2535 Live.

If they added saved searches and an Edge or a 3G connection I'd order one today.

AT&T is beginning to phase out GPRS ....

Does that mean no more HD traffic in these areas?

http://bit.ly/Aw13gL

AT&T urges customers to upgrade from 2G network

AT&T wants customers using older 2G phones to upgrade.

In recent weeks, the carrier has begun sending out notices to some customers still accessing the erstwhile cellular network to swap out their devices for newer ones that can run on 3G networks.

"Your current, older-model 2G phone might not be able to make or receive calls and you may experience degradation of your wireless service in certain areas," AT&T cautioned in the letter. An AT&T spokesman, Mark Siegel, said the carrier hoped to use some of the 2G spectrum for new technologies.

The carrier is spending billions to build out a new, fourth-generation mobile broadband network and to bolster its 3G service with a speedier technology known as HSPA+. It is racing to keep pace with rival Verizon Wireless, which has rolled out 4G LTE to cover nearly triple the number of Americans AT&T reaches today.

"We're simply urging them to upgrade to a new device if they want to," Siegel said.

AT&T and other carriers have been pushing Congress and the Federal Communications Commission to release more licenses for wireless airwaves, or spectrum, to help stave off a capacity crunch as more customers download video, music and photos.

Siegel said the carrier sent the notices to customers in the New York metropolitan area and may send them to other customers. He noted the program was voluntary, affected a small number of subscribers and most 2G phones would continue to work.

"We are still supporting the 2G network," he said. Siegel said customers using 2G cellphones that operate on 2G networks on the 1900-megahertz band eventually would lose all service.

The Dallas telecommunications company is offering users a free upgrade to one of several phones, such as the Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.SE, SSNHY) Evergreen or the LG Electronics Inc. GU295--available for $9.99 and $19.99, respectively, with a contract.

I would imagine the next gen of TomTom maybe goes back to the old method of bluetooth which ironically Garmin went to. If they built a gps that had the correct bluetooth profiles AND could use wifi most people could access the services with hotspots.
Fewer and fewer carriers are allowing Bluetooth DUN style tethering in their data plans, and many have removed the DUN profile altogether from the handsets they offer. Unless/until that changes, a GPS manufacturer isn't going to get much use from attempts to adopt that connection strategy.

That's why Garmin developed an application rather than have the user do it themselves. The application only works with the right units. Its an approved application that uses at most 20mb a month.

Does that help you understand this better?

The way TomTom did it the carrier wouldn't know what was being connected.

There are between 5,000 and 10,000 people who have downloaded it and there has been no outcry or a single post anywhere saying the carrier shut them off.

If you go to the Android store the bad reviews are from people who are clueless. lets see:

Doesn't work with Ford Sync - ????????????

Doesn't work in Canada -?????????????

Needs to support more nuvi models

Just spent $199 for a Nuvi at Costo and its not compatible (check the website for compatible models)

Doesnt do anything but tell me how to connect to my phone. Nuvi 265w ...

Needs to support more devices

Galaxy Tab not supported ??????????????

Ask a Question