Go live 2535m - live services lost.

Hehe - funny 24 hours later... GPS (LIVE) services still aren't working; was supposed to receive an email from my initial call last night to give me an update; got nothing and made a suggestion on TT facebook page about putting a notice up and/or some updated info --- nothing there -- GREAT WORK TOMTOM!

Confirmed... it is connecting... however the level of info provided for HD Traffic is, I hate to say it, lacking compared to RDS/TMC on my 540tm... odd

Since we're on the subject of connectivity, what should the signal strength be (in general)? I am only seeing two "bars" ( I hate to use that because it's never a good representation of actual signal strength) but I think it should show more at some point... it never wavered from two.

+1 on connection. AT&T loves us again.

@Adidas1124
I'd be very surprised if your HD traffic was reporting anything less than RDS. In ALL areas in which I have traveled, HD has reported a larger number of secondary roads and with much more frequent updates. What are you seeing up there in Portland, exactly?

Signal strength with a gas gauge doesn't tell much, as you say. Who knows what those bars translate to in dB? A couple of bars is, in my experience, plenty to get the job done. As long as your traffic bar on the right side isn't showing the little spinning wheel (or as you saw yesterday, the dreaded yellow triangle), you're getting data.

I figured that was the case on the "bars".

As far as HD vs. RDS, I was seeing traffic that I was sitting in and the 540 was showing a delay on I-5 where I was... the HD was showing nothing. The other was another main highway (Hwy26), there is always traffic in the eastbound lanes and the 540 was showing this today and again the 1535 showed nothing... this is a major backup too, miles of traffic. Not sure what was going on there, but the HD Traffic bar was there and no spinning circle or yellow triangle... it had showed some traffic for me but not to the extent the RDS was.

Sounds like you were able to do a side-by-side between the 1535 and 540 while driving? If so, and you see other discrepancies where one reports something that the other does not, I'd be willing to forward any details of that back to TomTom. They are always looking to improve the HD traffic experience. It may get a bit tedious, but if you can supply detail for such things that includes time / location / actual vs reported conditions (hey, what else to do while sitting idle in gridlock? :yawn:) I will get that information to the right people back in the NL.

Yeah I had both on this morning... I'll see what I can do when traffic happens again... I'll take pics of both units and actual traffic at the very least.

That will work. Just need to know your opinion of what was being reported at a given time/place vs. the reality you saw. TomTom can't control the content of the RDS (that comes locally from those that gather the data and send it out over an FM subcarrier on local stations), but they DO download, aggregate, interpret and retransmit all of the HD data, so for that, they have some control over what you see and can improve upon it.

@Alex
More accurate in what sense? The delay times, or the streets that are being reported upon, or the locations of incidents, or ?

In terms of showing the traffic on the road I'm on. I would be sitting in traffic correctly reflected by FM but not by Live. I've een using XXL 540 for my daily commute for about 18 month, FM traffic is pretty reliable in my area, it gets it right about 90+% of the time.
2350 I've had for about a month & use it daily for 1 hr+ commute each way. So far Live traffic is a bit dissapointing, it seems to be accurate about 50% of the time & loosing connectivity every 1 to 2 days requiring a reboot.
I'm hoping this will improve with time, meanwhile I'm tempted to switch back to XXL.
THX

Well, LIVE, because it reports on traffic on side streets (fm doesn't do that) can route you around traffic jams that fm doesn't even detect.

@Alex
Not sure I'd call it a beta, but indeed, lots of loose ends, some of which should get 'tied up' pretty soon. We haven't seen a firmware update for that model in a while.

If you have specific situations where Live traffic failed to deliver a good result, and as I noted to another user earlier, time + location + issue = something we can report back to TomTom to help them improve the service.

I used both 540 and 1535 last night on my way home... pretty ugly traffic night... they both reported the same freeway traffic... what got me excited was the 1535's ability to report traffic for on-ramps (something I had wished for on the 540 the whole time I used it) and all surface streets... much more accurate arrival time calculated from the start on the 1535. I also like that as you're driving and there are small differences in time (1min faster) it shows that route in blue as an alternate and calls it out at the top of the screen so you can make that determination.

I am gaining faith in HD Traffic.

And to think, it was just 3 days ago that you posted:

I am losing the rag with this thing!! I think it's going to be shipped back to amazon tomorrow and I will never look back!

Put things into perspective. There will be hiccups along the way and stuff won't work perfectly. It happens. Hang around here long enough and you'll see lots of other problems with TT models as well.

Yes, and I posted that before I knew there was an actual nationwide outage... I thought it was just mine that was not connecting and I didn't want to have to go thru troubleshooting with TT and then the process of returning it etc, etc, etc.

Ask a Question