GO 950 Live Versus GO 6100

TomTom Model(s)
GO 950 Live - TomTom GO 6100
The lifetime updates for most things on the GO 6100 have merits but what does it not have that the GO 950 Live has.

My live services are due for renewal so a possible £47:50 saving there

Unfortunately, the question would be better asked the other way around. No wired or BT audio out (just the speaker), no itinerary planning (yet), no inertial sensor for tunnels (ever), no hands-free .... etc

Guess it would be easier if you described which features of the 950 were important to you and we could work backwards from there.

Only used as a navigation device with speed cameras.

The fuel prices are not current and the server for using search is unreliable.

Hardly use POI

Have seen a comment that new models are best left a while so they can " get it right "

Is that generally good advice?

New models have software/hardware built from the ground up. They didn't recreate many former features (like canderson said), but added many new ones that are likely to influence purchase decisions (bigger screen / lifetime maps,traffic,speedcams / voice control / 3d maps / etc.), and continue to slowly add new capabilities every few months.

Don't assume any feature in your 950 will be in the new device, so go to a store and try out all the features you want before committing to a change.

Only used as a navigation device with speed cameras.

The fuel prices are not current and the server for using search is unreliable.

Hardly use POI

Have seen a comment that new models are best left a while so they can " get it right "

Is that generally good advice?
Nav and speed cams, yes, they do that. The 6100 (or 6000) also includes its own SIM and cell modem, so it gets traffic updates directly. More or less the same unit, the 600, uses a small bit of data from your cell phone to accomplish the same thing.

I'd say that of late releases, the code is getting progressively more stable. I spent a hard day again with a 600 yesterday, point to point to point for 38 destinations, and no hiccups at all. It's taken quite a long while to get there, but it's definitely reliable enough for some tough duty now. I THINK you'll find the only difference between 6100 and 6000 will be the world map offering. Not sure if they'll be providing free updates for North America, but they're included for Europe.

Coming from the 950, I think you're going to really like the 6" display.

Last edited:
Cannot find a shop who has one yet, soon as that happens will hopefully be able to see if the 6100 is suitable.

The 6000 has £80 off now

Do you need more than European maps? If not, it's worth a look at the 6000.

5 mile radius maps would probably do :)

Suppose it is between the 6000 with paid updates for the cameras or 6100 with everything included

The 950 is used simply to go places with the odd search.

Rarely for POI and never with bluetooth

Sounds like we may be back to the 600, then. The difference between the 600 and 6000 is how it gets the Live data. The 600 uses a smart phone (iOS or Android) to pick up any new traffic data, and the 6000 has the built-in cellular connection, but you pay a premium for that feature (at retail, 100 of the queen's best pounds!). I believe they offer lifetime map updates for the 600 in your market.

FWIW (to others), it appears from their web page that unlike the 9XX series, TomTom will be updating not only the 'local' map free of charge for these x10 and x100 units, but the 'other' map as well. In other words, regardless of the country of purchase, it looks like both EU and NAM maps are updated at no charge.

As a chap that used to have the 950 LIVE and upgraded to the 6000 I can say it was a worthwile upgrade. Like you I decided to upgrade when my Traffic and Maps subscription was due to expire - both costing about £100. I admit that the UI takes a lot of getting used to. I still prefer the old way of inputting stuff but my 6000 is used on a regular daily basis and has never let me down.

Ask a Question