Go 930 problem

TomTom Model(s)
go 930
Have a Go 930, which wont start up, and displays an SD card with a red cross through it.

Device is not recognised by PC when connected, so its not possible to access the internal drive to make any changes.

I wonder is there any way of starting the device using an SD card, and then formatting the internal drive and reinstalling the software and maps?

Not sure if this is possible, as its not something that is mentioned anywhere within Tom Tom tech support FAQ, and I cant get any response to the question above following repeated emails to tech support.

Be very grateful if anyone knows the answer to the above question, as it seems a new GPS is going to be the order of the day if its not possible to get this issue sorted easily, as the cost of a repair is not far away from that of a replacement (not necessarily a 930).

TIA

Chris

First question. Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? (hopefully done with Explorer, not Home).

Have you tried a pin reset on the unit?

Do you have as dhc (not sd) card, at least 4 gb?

Try the pin reset and report back if the computer 'sees' the unit then.

Tried pin reset nothing alters. Not sure what as dhc card is? I thought the units used SD cards?

No, it uses sdhc cards and with the latest application (8.351) it can handle up to 32 gb in size (though that is overkill).

Anyway, I'd get a good quality 4 gb or 8gb sdhc card (the faster the speed -- class 6 or better -- ) and put it into a card reader.

Then install (using WinRar) the following application on the card:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

And then put the sdhc card in the unit. It should boot up to the card.

p.s. I deleted your post in the other forum. Let's keep discussion of the issues in one place ..... less confusing. :D

No, it uses sdhc cards and with the latest application (8.351) it can handle up to 32 gb in size (though that is overkill).

Anyway, I'd get a good quality 4 gb or 8gb sdhc card (the faster the speed -- class 6 or better -- ) and put it into a card reader.

Then install (using WinRar) the following application on the card:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

And then put the sdhc card in the unit. It should boot up to the card.

p.s. I deleted your post in the other forum. Let's keep discussion of the issues in one place ..... less confusing. :D

Many thanks................seems unfortunate that Tom Tom tech support was quite unable to provide that info over the course of about 10 email exchanges! I got the feeling they were more interested in stinging me for a E105 repair, after they suggested problem was a hardware issue!

Ask a Question