Go 930 and compatible cellphone for bluetooth

TomTom Model(s)
Go 930
I'm getting ready to upgrade my cellphone I want to make sure that I get one that is compatible with my Go 930. I've looked at the tomtom website at the list of phones and don't think it's correct, let me explain. I'm going with Verizon when I upgrade and I really like the LG voyager (VX10000), but it's not listed as a compatible phone. I've tried connecting a friend's Voyager with my 930 and it appears to connect, even wants to download the phonebook to the 930, but I'm still unsure if it's actually going to work. Has anyone tried out this combination? How about with the 930 and the EnV 2 from Verizon? I have some time before I am going to upgrade, just thought I'd get a jump on this.

Last edited:
You can try using TomTom's weather service with your friend's phone. The weather service is free. You can also try making a phone call via your 930 using your friend's phone.

I got my Motorola i580 working with my 920 for voice calls, and for data access, but something seems to prevent the devices from reconnecting for voice calls following data access. I can work around it by connecting to the phone manually, but in combination with TomTom Traffic this issue occurs too frequently for me to bother using it for voice calls.

Another thing to be aware of is that you'll need to pay for Verizon's tethering option in order for it to work at all - a $15 per month additional charge above and beyond the cost of your data plan.

tethering? I'll have a plan that has internet connectivity if that it what you mean.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert, but I can tell you that my LG8700 and my wife's LG8600 will connect for hands free calling but neither work for uploading the phone book (we have Verizon service). My mother's Motorola W385 seems to work fine as it could upload the phonebook. I haven't tried to configure any data services with any phone since I don't have a data plan but generally speaking it seems like the LG phones can't upload their phone books which I find annoying.

-Jeff

You really need to do a search here. It is not just the phone. You need to have the tethering option for all the special things (weather, traffic). TT does not support Verizon. If you want extra things (not BT or the phone book) you should go with another carrier. TT should connect with a BT on most phones. My Verizon KRZR connects with my TT via BT, and also has the phonebook. But I am not expecting any support from TT should it stop working.

tethering? I'll have a plan that has internet connectivity if that it what you mean.

Not quite. Verizon's data plans allow for Internet access from the phone only, using applications or services directly on the handset. If you want to have another device, such as a PC or TomTom, use the phone as a means of connecting to the Internet, you'll need to add Verizon's tethering option, which I believe is an additional $15 per month. What the tethering option does is allow another device to use your phones Internet connection, via a cabled or bluetooth connection.

Tethering is just one (of many, I hear) thing that Verizon intentionally disables, so they can charge to a monthly fee for re-enabling it.

Thanks for all of the input...guess I need to make a decision about which carrier...and which phone.

Thanks for all of the input...guess I need to make a decision about which carrier...and which phone.

Based on what I have seen with my 930, the real key should be what phone you want, as well as which services you will be using. For example, are you really worried about Weather? Will you be using Traffic? If your primary thing is the hands free, then you just need to make sure the phone you want will work.

My 930 works well with my Treo 680, and after a bit of playing, I got the data service working as well. The only issue I have is getting my phone book to transfer, but other than that, everything else works very well.

Based on what I have seen with my 930, the real key should be what phone you want, as well as which services you will be using. For example, are you really worried about Weather? Will you be using Traffic? If your primary thing is the hands free, then you just need to make sure the phone you want will work.

My 930 works well with my Treo 680, and after a bit of playing, I got the data service working as well. The only issue I have is getting my phone book to transfer, but other than that, everything else works very well.

I am having a problem with my treo, what are your settings.

Thanks.

Mark

Sorry so late on this, but I thought I'd add just in case any other users with my setup went looking for compatibility (as I did)...

Go 930 pairs nicely with Verizon and LG VX10000 for hands free calling and phone book transferring. I've tried to connect for data but so far been unsuccessful. May be the tethering issue I read about in posts above.

Regards...

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cellphone I want to make sure that I get one that is compatible with my Go 930. I've looked at the tomtom website at the list of phones and don't think it's correct, let me explain. I'm going with Verizon when I upgrade and I really like the LG voyager (VX10000), but it's not listed as a compatible phone. I've tried connecting a friend's Voyager with my 930 and it appears to connect, even wants to download the phonebook to the 930, but I'm still unsure if it's actually going to work. Has anyone tried out this combination? How about with the 930 and the EnV 2 from Verizon? I have some time before I am going to upgrade, just thought I'd get a jump on this.
Honestly, almost any phone with BlueTooth will work as a hands-free device. So, that's that. That part is virtually a given. It's just like a BT headset for the phone.

However...

Tomtome "plus" features, as they call 'em, use the phone as a modem to download stuff over the phone's Internet connection. You have to have the right plan with your cell phone carrier to use this option. Different carriers charge different amounts. Some phones do not support use as a modem. Just depends on the carrier and the phone.

With Verizon (I have Verizon), simple Internet access to the phone is not enough for your TomTom's "plus" features. Your TT wants to use the cell phone as a modem. Therefore, you'll need the kind of plan that supports use as a modem. This is called tethering. Just like you would use it as a modem on a PC.

Verizon charges a total of $60/mo for that feature. Example: if you have an unlimited data plan for $45/mo for Internet access to your Smartphone, they will only charge you an additional $15/mo to add tethering (they call it Broadband Access). If you have a $30/mo data plan they will charge you $30/mo to add tethering. The point is that it will total $60/mo to include tethering. This is to make it the same price as if you had a data-card for your PC (i.e. using the data-card as a modem - $60/mo).

I've got the $45/mo unlimited data plan for my Smartphone plus the $15/mo tethering add-on. Mine works fine for data on the Tomtom (720).

If you have a non-Smartphone, the Verizon tethering charge (Broadband Access) is simply $60/mo.

Clear as mud? :)

-Frank

If I could add my $0.02.

I have a Blackberry 8830 World. I am able to upload my address book. Only the phone numbers show up, which really isn't much good since you usually want to search the person's name. Not a huge deal since I can still dial from the BB. It will also work as the bluetooth speaker. I can also use it as a tethered modem (I have an unlimited plan) so it will dial out on that and connect to the internet.

I now have a 730 and it seems to work flawlessly every time. My ONE XL (which I kept for 2 week and traded up for the 730) however would do all of those things too, however when I wanted to tether it I had to set it up from scratch each time.

I agree with the previous suggestion. Get your hands on the same phone as you want to buy and try it out. Again be careful with connecting to the internet as your provider may not allow/like it and if you don't have a plan to allow it you can end up paying big bucks. As an example (extreme example) I tether quite often using my BB. My provider (Telus) in error dropped my data plan. My next bill was $4000 more than normal. They fixed it up and keep in mind that I tether my laptop to surf the web but it gives you an idea of the costs.

Joe

Ask a Question