Go 910 in 2002 Durango

mjk

I've experimented with several mounts/locations for my 910. I finally decided to build my own mount. I mounted it below my rearview mirror, and did it so that it's hardwired yet easily removed.

The upper bracket (IMG1) stays attached to the rearview mirror, and is basically invisible. I hand bent it to the contour of the mirror (made it out of a double peg-hook from hardware store). I then welded a plate to the bottom, attached a bolt and wingnut (for attaching lower bracket), and then rubber coated the entire assembly in black.

The lower bracket (IMG6) is made from medium gauge aluminum, bent in a basic "c" shape. I welded two angled supports on the side,and then bent a piece if aluminum bar to support the interior, and tacked it in. This made it sufficiently rigid to eliminate any vibration. I painted the entire assembly flat black, to match my car interior. I then attached a plastic holder that I had from a Ram mount. The 910 sits in the holder. I had an extra FM transmitter that I removed the suction cup assembly from. I keep this attached to the back of the 910.

The top part of the lower bracket is slotted, so it simply slides on to the bolt from the upper bracket. I then tighten the wingnut, and plug in the wires. Ready to go in about 5 seconds (IMG10, IMG11). To remove, simply loosen the wingnut, unplug the wires and slide out the lower bracket. As I said, I leave the upper bracket on the mirror, and tuck the wires up into it. The whole thing is invisible from outside (IMG8).

Just to make sure there would be no vibration, I glued a black neoprene washer to the top of the lower bracket. There is no vibration whatsoever, even off-road. I find this to be the perfect location for the 910 in my truck. It's right at eye level, and works flawessly.

Attachments

• IMG1.jpg
    IMG1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG6.jpg
    IMG6.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG8.jpg
    IMG8.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG10.jpg
    IMG10.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG11.jpg
    IMG11.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 518
Note

By the way...if anyone wants to see larger pics, let me know. My camera was set to hi-res, so I had to shrink their size to post them. Sorry.

Pics

Nice setup. I would like to see a bigger picture of the unit on mount/visor.

Does it vibrate?

Thanks! I'll take some better pictures after today's snowstorm moves out. No, it doesn't vibrate at all. I made sure to weld in braces and support to prevent this.

Ask a Question