GO 740 no traffic after 850 map upgrade

My Traffic Woes and Information

I too have had he tales of woe with the traffic with live on my 740 Go live. I have also talked with TomTom CS and was told that the problem is a conflict with the map and the app with no ETA until the resolution. I just bought this, and have had trouble since day one with the traffic. From conflicts with the TMC and LIve, and now this. MVL here is the answer for you, I will take any help I can get.

- full version of your application (including everything to the right of the decimal)? 9.053.520930.1 OS 515773
- full version of your map (including everything to the right of the decimal)? 'North_America_2GB" v850.2781
- first two letters of the serial number on the bottom of your device? WR
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\traffic.dat file? 06/25/10 1KB
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\tmccodes.dat file? 06/25/10 5012KB
- size and date of the \mctx.dat file? 01/21/10 1KB
- does LIVE weather work for you? Yes

For those having problems with 740 traffic on map 850, I'm curious to see if I can figure out any patterns:

What is the:
- full version of your application (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- full version of your map (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- first two letters of the serial number on the bottom of your device?
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\traffic.dat file?
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\tmccodes.dat file?
- size and date of the \mctx.dat file?
- does LIVE weather work for you?

My traffic is working fine on my 740, and I'm trying to see if I can identify any differences

Traffic seems to be working planned 211 mile route to Hackensack NJ from Baltimore and traffic updated as well as showed multiple delays
tomTom home is on a MAC book Pro 13" running 10.6.4
Tomtom Home is 2.7.5.877
What is the:
- full version of your application (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- full version of your map (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- first two letters of the serial number on the bottom of your device?
AK
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\traffic.dat file?
4kb
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\tmccodes.dat file?
5.1mb
- size and date of the \mctx.dat file?
4kb
- does LIVE weather work for you?
yes

I received a call from TomTom today. They had me do a hard reset and then said that they had to do something on their servers and would call me back. Ten minutes later they called me back and traffic is working.

That's excellent news for those with traffic problems. So no new firmware was needed, just an adjustment somewhere on TomTom's end. I don't suppose they gave any hint on the cause?

If weather worked and traffic said "subscription expired", it really pointed to a server issue. Nothing in the files people posted looked out of the ordinary.

For others experiencing the problem, I'd recommend calling up Tomtom since they appear to know what the fix is now.

No gatorguy, unfortunately not. I tried to worm it out of her but she would only tell me that it was something on their end.

Well when I called TomTom the Tech. Support told me it was going to be three or more weeks before they got the issue fixed. I called about a week ago. They would not credit me for the lost service (I was on my first free three months).

This is unfortunate as I found the Live Traffic Service a life saver on my most recent trip.

I sent the unit back for a refund (the lack of screen brightness also bothered me). Maybe I'll pick another one up if I see that they've finally fixed the issue. I miss the utility of a GPS already.

Wow, Jazz, that's too bad. TomTom did end up crediting me my lost time. They gave me three months of Live service after they fixed my traffic issue.

Well when I called TomTom the Tech. Support told me it was going to be three or more weeks before they got the issue fixed. I called about a week ago. They would not credit me for the lost service (I was on my first free three months).

This is unfortunate as I found the Live Traffic Service a life saver on my most recent trip.

I sent the unit back for a refund (the lack of screen brightness also bothered me). Maybe I'll pick another one up if I see that they've finally fixed the issue. I miss the utility of a GPS already.

Tomtom usually credits the free time. The biggest issue I have with Tomtom phone support is the inconsistent level of training. I'm sure if you called back and got a different rep you would have gotten the time credited.

Well since you returned the device, the entire time was free. You'd have a brand new 3 months with a new device, as long as you register with a different email. (and assuming Miller's fix works for everyone)

Still no fix . . . .

If weather worked and traffic said "subscription expired", it really pointed to a server issue. Nothing in the files people posted looked out of the ordinary.

For others experiencing the problem, I'd recommend calling up Tomtom since they appear to know what the fix is now.

I tried to call them after the post about hard reset and they said there was no fix. I had to wait until their engineers came up with the solution for the traffic issue. I am still on the free trial, so no money loss here. However, I wanted to experience the traffic to decide if I wanted to keep live. I can't even just use the RDS-TMS receiver, cause "Live" keeps disconnecting it.

Hoping there is a fix soon . . . .

Fixed Traffic with 850

All, I have just fixed my traffic, after two calls to support, with soft resets and hard resets and no luck, I managed to fix it myself.

I stumbled across this fix, so I am not exactly sure which of my actions fixed it, but after getting frustrated with support's inability to fix the issue and having just done a hard reset, I decided I didn't want to poke at the screen to reenter all my favorites. So I connected the TomTom to my computer (with the test route already planned) and proceeded to reenter my favorites using the "control your tomtom" option in Home. while entering my favorites I got a pop up saying that there was traffic ahead. So there I was "Oh sure, traffic works while it is connected to the computer", I have since disconnected from the computer, and traffic is still working. YAY...

Not sure how long this is effective, it stopped working again, with the same error message, "no subscription", plugging into the computer and remote controlling the tomtom, fixes it again though. I'll test to see how long the fix lasts.

Definately not a permanent fix, traffic works for a couple hours before reverting to the no subscription message. I did confirm, that it doesn't matter if a route is planned before plugging in or if you plan a route while controlling your tomtom remotely, traffic will start working almost immediately, and keep working for a couple hours after disconnecting. You can plan new routes and it will still work within the time window.

Last edited:
Okay, TomTom does know of a way to fix this issue, but they are reluctant to do it. The map conflict with traffic is BS. I finally got through to someone above the first level of support, and he admitted that the problem is with the device and that they would prefer to swap the device out (at my expense and 7-10 business days), but that there is a tweak that they can do to their servers that may get it working, but it may fail again. I decided to have them try the server tweak first, and now have working traffic. It did take a little while, his first attempt to fix it broke all my live services, I kept getting a server error message when connecting to Live. Although this allowed my RDS traffic to start working. Apparently, the unit won't use RDS traffic unless ALL live services are not working. After a couple of hours, all my live services are working, including traffic.

I am now hoping that it will keep working until they have a permanent fix that doesn't require server tweaks for each device.

PridgNYC,

That was my experience as well. I posted that here a couple of times in a couple of different threads. I am dismayed every time I read of someone saying that TomTom has told them that there is no fix to this problem. I myself did not receive this fix until I sent an e-mail to them threatening to return the device if they did not get it working before my 30 day return period was up. Two days after that they called me and fixed the device.

Well I'm in the same boat, but I found a workaround!

Maybe it helps that I manage servers in the real world for a living..who knows.

Bought the 740 Live 3 days ago - instantly updated to everything latest, including maps.

Don't know if the traffic worked before that, but it sure didn't once it was unplugged from the USB cradle.

So, I messed around for a while, and here's how I can get the traffic to work every time:

Start the unit, and go to TomTom Services, and "Buddies".

Hit "Update Buddies". It will then say "Connecting to TomTom Live Services". Takes a couple seconds, then:

Hit Done. Go back to the main screen, and within 30 seconds your Traffic will begin to work.

I have an open ticket with TomTom to discuss this issue; I will let them know what I've found out.

(From a professional IT perspective; there's just some code missing somewhere in the initialization process part of starting traffic and the authentication portion)

Hope this helps!

Shawn

Maybe it helps that I manage servers in the real world for a living..who knows.

Bought the 740 Live 3 days ago - instantly updated to everything latest, including maps.

Don't know if the traffic worked before that, but it sure didn't once it was unplugged from the USB cradle.

So, I messed around for a while, and here's how I can get the traffic to work every time:

Start the unit, and go to TomTom Services, and "Buddies".

Hit "Update Buddies". It will then say "Connecting to TomTom Live Services". Takes a couple seconds, then:

Hit Done. Go back to the main screen, and within 30 seconds your Traffic will begin to work.

I have an open ticket with TomTom to discuss this issue; I will let them know what I've found out.

(From a professional IT perspective; there's just some code missing somewhere in the initialization process part of starting traffic and the authentication portion)

Hope this helps!

Shawn
Thanks, worked for me. I had returned a unit and when I got the new back it updated to the new 9.054 software and wouldn't access the Traffic. I tried your update Buddies and LIVE Traffic came back. Still have other LIVE Serives issues, but getting the Traffic back was gigantic. Thanks for the post!!

A member on another forum posted that the Buddies workaround enables FM traffic, not live traffic.

LIVE traffic has a checkered flag on the upper right, FM antenna traffic has a green circle. For those who used the buddies workaround, what type of traffic are you getting? How about those who use the Operate my GO workaround?

Also the member said that their account was fixed today, and they no longer need the buddies workaround. Are others still having this problem where they need the Buddies workaround?

v9.054.531676.1 seems to work fine

I just upgraded my 740Live to v 9.054 and traffic seems to work fine. I have no idea what my version was before the upgrade.

Latest response from TT Customer Svc.

Hi,

This is the response that I got back from TomTom Customer Service when I updated my open ticket with them to report that Traffic was working normally again for me as of yesterday morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your response. At this time, we do not yet have 100% completion on our attempted Traffic corrections. As we work towards a solution, however; you will begin to see progress. We are happy to hear that you have been able to access Traffic services today. If you experience any difficulty with it in the near future, please remember that we are still working on this service.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. The reference number for this support ticket is 100726-011267.

This support ticket has been placed in 'Waiting' status. If it is not updated within 72 hours, the support ticket will automatically move to 'Solved' status. Should you have further questions or need to provide additional information after this support ticket has been closed, you may update your TomTom Question by referring to the following easy steps:

-Log into your TomTom account via the TomTom website at TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

-Click on 'Support'.

-Select 'My Questions History'.

-Click on the title of your question to open the support ticket.

-Click on 'Update Question'.

With Best Regards,

Erica
TomTom Customer Support

Ask a Question