GO 740 no traffic after 850 map upgrade

TomTom Model(s)
740 Live Lifetime maps/traffic w/TMC
I have recently spent an exhaustive amount of time on the phone with TomTom support. I have the GO740 Live with lifetime maps and traffic. The unit comes with the TMC receiver. After upgrading to map version 850.2781 the traffic on both the live services and TMC no longer work (warning triangle on the traffic bar). Finally TomTom's rep informed me that this is a result of the map upgrade. There is no expected time for resolution. For those who have upgraded, is this a problem affecting select units or all 740s?

I am having the same problem and posted the question earlier today here, in the general discussion forum. You may want to keep an eye on my thread in addition to this one, in case anyone has additional information.

My tech support guy said an update would be coming out sometime next week and to check periodically. Unfortunately, it felt like he was just trying to placate me. I am surprised to hear that the RDS traffic is also affected, as they seem to be very different processes.

Between this issue and no auto-on, I am really regretting this purchase.

I have a 540 here with the traffic module and updated 850 NA map. No issues with the traffic being detected.

DHN, I don't have my 740 any longer as you know, but remember the missing file in the map update causing traffic issues a couple maps back? I've got somewhere to be in just a few, so I don't have time to look up the problem filename. Perhaps you remember it right off?

If I remember, on a map update, the following files:
traffic.dat
tmccodes.dat

both in the specific map folder somehow got transferred as showing 0 bytes.

The resolution was for the user to extract the 2 files from the compressed map cab file with WinRar and use Explorer to copy them to the map folder on the unit.

Does that ring a bell?

As I have been trolling thru the forums I have seen that issue brought up numerous times. My traffic.dat is 1KB and tmccodes.dat is 5012KB. This is a brand new unit bought at a big box retailer. This is the second unit with this problem, and I have returned 2 other units because of bad battery life. I had originally bought a Garmin unit (went through 2 of those) but returned them and got the TomTom after Garmin had server issues with their units. It appears that the problem affects traffic as a whole on the units, as the problem is with the unit with the map update. In anyone’s experience would a daily call to complain help motivate TomTom to fix the problem or do they actually listen (do I need to get upper levels of tech support involved, etc)? I live in a metropolitan area where traffic can turn a 15 minute drive quickly into an hour drive which is why I was happy to have traffic on my GPS. I also have a Navigon with TMC built in but Navigon no longer supports North American maps (bought it in Germany and had excellent experience with it) which is why I sought out a new unit.

Last edited:
Call support again at 866-486-6866.

As I understand it, a bunch of 740 units released in the States had issues with Live functionality.

You need for them to reactivate the built in sim card in your unit. If the support person doesn't know what that means, ask for 2nd level.

Call support again at 866-486-6866.

As I understand it, a bunch of 740 units released in the States had issues with Live functionality.

You need for them to reactivate the built in sim card in your unit. If the support person doesn't know what that means, ask for 2nd level.

I don't think this is the problem: All of the other live services work (google, weather, gas prices, etc).

Also, I had also seen people talking about traffic files with 0b file sizes. I checked my files yesterday and they both are not zero (1kb & 5012kb). These matched the file sizes in the maps zip file.

Right now I am on my 4th Go live 740tm with the live traffic / TMC issue. However on 2 of these gps's the problem started before the 850 map update immediately after I linked the device to a new email account that I created on TT Home and the traffic on the other 2 quit working within 4 hours after installing the 850 map update. I have probably spent a total of 3 1/2 hours on the phone with TomTom CS.

One of the techs that I spoke told me that there is a problem with the new application 9.053. I also installed the older 8.371 application at the request of one of the techs and still could not get live traffic to work. I don't think that they really know at this point what is causing the problem. I can only hope that the problem is not on the TomTom servers otherwise who know when this will get fixed.

In addition to the 740tm I also have a 740 with the 850 maps that is not currently having any problems so my personal opinions is that the maps are fine.

They keep wanting to RMA the units and I said no way, as each one was only a day old. It is much easier and quicker to return it to the store that I bought it from and exchange it for another rather than send it back to TomTom and have to wait a couple of weeks to get it back and then on top of that it would most likely be a refurbished unit.

At the moment the 5th unit has been linked to a new email address and is working good so far, but I don't think that will last long.

Last edited:
Final resolution

Not the best way to solve this but it did work, I got a new unit after several more hours on the phone with tech support and supervisors. The 850 map upgrade conflicts with all the traffic, both RDS-TMC and live services. As I was updating these devices out of the box, I did not have the 845 map version to fall back on, nor could TomTom provide them to me (TomTom home had the 850 map so it supersceded the 845 version). The only solution to keep from needing a new unit is to have th 845 map to fall back on. I consider it to be bad practice to not be able to provide a rollback for a failed upgrade, even the popular OS manufacturer most have grown to have atleast some resentment to does better than this. Thanks to all who have helped me plug thru this problem.

my live traffic is working with map 850. if you tap on the triangle on the right what error does it give you?

The error says that the subscription has expired. Sometimes it asks if you'd like to renew, if you click yes, tomtom will renew the services and send a confirmation e-mail, but traffic still won't work.

Also, I see that some say that it has been a conflict with the RDS receiver and LIVE services with the 850 upgrade. I can safely say that is not the case. When I did the upgrade, I had never plugged in the RDS receiver to the unit. LIVE services just stopped working for traffic only.

I did this whole process with two units. I am returning them both tonight and getting one more and will not upgrade until they figure out a fix. Third time is a charm!

I can live without the most up to date maps for a while.

Best of luck to everyone!

My Traffic just started working! I updated through Home (not sure what did it) and when I undocked, it worked!

Give it a try and let me know if it's working for everyone.

astampa1:
Im assuming that your location is part of your user ID. If this is the case I have cleared out the Brandon "yellow" big box store of these units.

Traffic Issues

Knock on Wood, my "new" owned for 3 wks, but apparently manufactured months ago, 740TM Live is working with traffic no problem. 850 US/CAN map and 9035 software.

At startup, RDS starts, then shuts down when Live Traffic starts.

Still in 3mo trial period for Live Services. Undecided whether $10/mo for Live Services Subscription is worthwhile since I travel infrequently and main motivation for purchase the 740TM was extended road trip starting later this mo.

Had thought I could save some money by letting the trial period expire and then buy monthly when travelling later, but keep hearing horror stories wrt renewals once service lapses -- so I am currently even more undecided. Perhaps within the next 60 days I'll know best plan.

For those having problems with 740 traffic on map 850, I'm curious to see if I can figure out any patterns:

What is the:
- full version of your application (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- full version of your map (including everything to the right of the decimal)?
- first two letters of the serial number on the bottom of your device?
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\traffic.dat file?
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\tmccodes.dat file?
- size and date of the \mctx.dat file?
- does LIVE weather work for you?

My traffic is working fine on my 740, and I'm trying to see if I can identify any differences

Last edited:
Worked out of the Box and Then Update Killed It

My 740 worked out of the box, but TT tech. support had me replace the app. and it killed the Live Traffic (yellow triangle).( I was having an issue with "Tips" constantly playing while I was in navgation mode.)

I called TT tech. support back and they said they knew of the problem Live Traffic issue and it would be 3 or more weeks before they sorted it out. The Tech claimed that multiple updates of late were conflicting.

When I asked if they would credit me some of the lost services under my three free months the TT tech said no.

As it turns out the replacement of the app. was not needed to fix my original problem Sigh.

The 740 is going back to Amazon in the morning for a refund. I'm really disappointed in what could have been a great GPS. I'm even more disappointed in TomTom regarding their refusal to issue a credit for services they can't deliver.

This is has been a rough week. I've got an iPhone 4 with the antenna issue

MVL, here are the answers to your questions

- full version of your application (including everything to the right of the decimal)? 9.053.520930.1
- full version of your map (including everything to the right of the decimal)? 850.2781
- first two letters of the serial number on the bottom of your device? WR
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\traffic.dat file? 1 KB 6/4/2010
- size and date of the \north_america_2gb\tmccodes.dat file? 5012 KB 6/4/2010
- size and date of the \mctx.dat file? 1KB 1/21/2010
- does LIVE weather work for you? Yes

Ask a Question