Go 740 Live playing MP3's through car stereo

TomTom Model(s)
1535MT
OK, my last GPS was a 930T, and it died...... ran out and got the 740 Live.

I'm here in the U.S.

I am disgusted to find no LINE OUT port! I have a microSD card full of MP3's I want to play from this unit when in the car, via an audio cable to my car stereo.

Am I just out of luck here, and need to return it....and if so, what do you suggest in replacement?

I bought it due to live update features, but no playing MP3's from my memory card is a deal breaker.

Someone PLEASE tell me there is a way around this. I heard there is a different car mount that has the 1/8 stereo output? Where is it, and is it the same windshield mount? That is what I truly prefer- windshield mount!

Help !!! Help!!!!

:eek:

There are a few different accessory mounts for the x40 model range, the same mounts will also fit the x50 range:

1/ The standard as supplied simple dock with power/ data connection only.

2/ Accessory mount fully connected with power/ data, line out and iPOD/ RDS-TMC connection, Windscreen mount.

3/ Accessory mount fully connected woth power/ data, line out, iPOD/ RDS-TMC and fitted with integral RDS-TMC receiver (European only AFAIK), Windscreen mount.

4/ Accessory mount fully connected with data/ power, line out, iPOD/ RDS-TMC which screws to Brodit Pro-Clip for dash mounting the device (This is the best solution for a neat installation offing the chance to hide all the wiring to/ from the device) In this case all the cables exit the rear of the mount and are run through the air vent:

Of the x40 range only the 940 has a built in mp3 player, there are the third party software players such as Mobile Nova etc which will add mp3 and move player support to your device although I have no knowledge as to whether they work with the latest software on the x40 range (I did have MobileNova on my 940 a while ago for playing moves so it used to work) If you want pictures of item 2 listed above let me know and I will get the camera out as that mount with the connectors on is sat next to my PC - Mike

Go 740 Live

Mike,
Thanks for quick reply.....

Question, so, 1st off, it seems that the GO 740 LIVE has no internal media player for playing MP3's ?

If so, I probably don't want to deal with 3rd party software and fighting the battel of Tom Tom home updates that at anytime can kill it, or render it useless. So perhaps, a return is in order. Maybe it's just time to jump ship and get a GARMIN!!! Oh yes, I said the "g" word.

Even if I went the 3rd party software route, I would need another mount, which you describe as having an IPOD Line Out? Is the Line Out there actually a 1/8 stereo output port? Because, that is specifically what I want.

I don't need European maps, so if I want to stick with tom Tom, it seems like I really need a GO 730, and I am going to lose the LIVE features, correct?

With an accessory mount you get three sockets, one for power, one that can accept either the RDS-TMC receiver OR the iPOD control cable and finally the 1/8 or 3,5MM audio line output. With the x40 range only the 940 has the mp3 player and FM Tx, if you read the tech specs for the x50 model range on the TT web site none of these models have the mp3 player at all.
If you need Live services and mp3 capability you can either control an iPOD via the 740, or try and source a 940 - Mike

2/ Accessory mount

Does anyone know where to get a "2/ Accessory mount fully connected with power/ data, line out and iPOD/ RDS-TMC connection, Windscreen mount." so that I can use my ipod with my 740 LIVE? Thx

For some stupid reason the mount I mentioned above is available in the UK but doesn't get listed when locale is set to USA, here is a link to the exact item but you will need to select the country to UK to see the item TomTom Active Dock Mount Kit with iPod support - TomTom GPS sat nav I guess you could get someone to purchase this in the UK/ Europe and send it over to you - Mike

Dear Mike,

I've followed the link - but there doesn't appear to be an option to buy this product any more...

Do you know if these are available? I've checked out TomTom and Amazon and they don't have any.

Thanks,

Techie2You

You're replying to a post 2 1/2 years old......

As I understand it, the item is indeed not available now. Certainly from TomTom.

Ask a Question